procession music for feast St. Anthony
  • sbgreen
    My parish is going to process outside from one church to another carrying a statue of St. Anthony. Does anyone know of good chants for this occasion?
  • MatthewRoth
    Do you have any limitations. Responsories are a bit weird in processions, but the Palm Sunday procession has chants that work well (they're technically antiphons, but they are long). We pray this prayer after Mass on Tuesdays. Here's the music. I'd recommend other office chants for St Anthony as well.
    Thanked by 2Chrism sbgreen
  • davido
    Maybe there’s something in the Graduale Romano-Seraphicum?
    A friend of mine had a neat book published by Desclee containing the mass and office for St Francis along with a bunch of other assorted Franciscan chants. I’d bet there are a bunch of medieval Franciscan chants for st Anthony as well
    Thanked by 2tomjaw sbgreen
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Right about that. There are three versions of the responsory Si quaeris miracula HERE. The second has always seemed fairly catchy. I would avoid the third, which is by Fr. Bruning that edited that book.

An English translation is:

If then you ask for miracles,
    Death, error, all calamities,
    The leprosy, and demons fly,
    And health succeeds infirmities.

* The sea obeys, and fetters break,
    And lifeless limbs thou dost restore ;
    Whilst treasures lost are found again,
    When young or old thine aid implore.

V. All dangers vanish at thy prayer,
    And direst need doth quickly flee ;
    Let those who know, thy power proclaim,
    Let Paduans say : These are of thee.

* The sea obeys, and fetters break, etc.

To Father, Son, may glory be
    And Holy Ghost eternally.

* The sea obeys, and fetters break, etc.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @sbgreen

I hope you can find this worthy of a processional, the plainsong is quite recent since 6/12/2020, but I cleaned it up a little. If you want to fix the formatting, PM me please and I can send you what I have used for source and summit.

Thanked by 1sbgreen
  • MAR
    Though this isn’t a chant, a lovely hymn exists in the Brebeuf Hymnal.
    The former Parish I served was ethnically Italian and typically sang the Italian hymn, “O Sant’ Antonio, Prega Per Me” on the Feast of their Patron Saint. During COVID, however, when congregational singing was not happening, I had to get creative. I found the hymn “Simple Saint & Faithful Priest” in the Brebeuf Hymnal. It was pretty well received and easy for my cantor to pick up on.
    I’m reluctant to post an image, mostly due to the fact that it would likely be poor quality and whatever copyright issues may or may not apply, but if you have the hymnal or wish to order it, it’s #797 and is set to the German tune VOLLER WUNDER VOLLER KUNST.
    As a side note, I currently serve a Parish that has used OCP materials for years but have found the Brebeuf Hymnal very useful in a pinch for solo or some choral music.
  • Chrism
    I can't find the link to the Antiphonale...

I downloaded this from Google Books in April 2021 and can confirm that the link I used no longer contains the full book. If anyone wants it, PM me with a dropbox. The file is about 516 MB.