Looking for conducting position in Oklahoma City area
  • I have recently finished my MM-Choral Conducting degree, and now I am looking for a choral position at either a church or a parochial school in the Oklahoma City metro area. I specialize in early and 20th-century sacred choral music. I am looking for a parish or school who wants to connect with their heritage in the greats such as Palestrina, Josquin, Persichetti, and Nystedt. Any interested parties can view my website, www.sethgarrepy.com, and review my résumé there.
  • I hope something works out for you.

My sense, though, is that most dioceses have a handful of such parishes at most. OKC is not the first place that pops to mind as a hotbed of liturgical praxis that moves beyond the “four-hymn sandwich”. Maybe, hopefully, I am wrong.
  • Seth,

I have to agree with Felipe. I'm actually employed by the Church in the OKC area and the liturgical musical life here is really lacking. Most of the parishes are not familiar with quality music. The only Catholic church in the area that offers any quality music is the Cathedral (Our Lady's).

If I hear of anything...I'll let you know. Best of luck to you, but in all honesty....you may need to be open to relocating elsewhere.
  • Thank you both for your comments! I will continue to broaden my search as needed. It is rather disappointing that this area lacks quality music, as Raul mentioned. Thanks for keeping your ears open!
  • I'd dig and find out where the youngest priests are stationed as pastors, as well as the oldest. The AGO code of ethics prevents one from contacting a parish about a job unless the position is open. However, you could approach all of these to see if they were interested in having a liturgical choir. Since it sounds as if there are none except at the Cathedral. Young priests might be interested in this...and old priests who grew up with good choirs.

Just had a look at your resume...it mentions nothing about your earlier years in music...and if they were in the Catholic Church you'd definitely want to mention that. Meaning, that if you are looking for a position in the Catholic Church, just like the Baptist Church, it really, really helps if you are Catholic. Not being Catholic can be used as a tool against you, threatening everything musical that one does when people say, "Well, he's not Catholic so he doesn't understand/know/see...[insert your own words here]" by people who are threatened by your musical background.

Musicians are their own worst enemies.

I helped a lutheran organist returning from Lyon, France where he had been studying. I found him a Catholic job and warned him not to make a big thing about being Lutheran. In fact, don't even let on, unless asked. At the first choir rehearsal he said, "I've brought some responses for you to sing from the Lutheran Church which is my heritage." He lasted 6 months. At the end he told the priest he HAD to buy a new organ so that he had an organ he could teach on so that he could make money teaching. Fr. solved the problem by firing him.

If you are not Catholic and want to work at a Catholic Church or school because you love the repertoire of the Church...make it clear from the start how that is attracting you to work in the Church. That can help get over this problem, to some degree.

I'd move the entire About...from your MySpace Page to your website and call it ABOUT...replace your bio with somethings about your life....

And definitely add the sacred music samples from your My Space page to the website....your music is very inventive, fresh and fills a need for contemporary music in the Church. The O Nata Lux is gorgeous.

And the photo in the tux really fits your resume....
  • chonakchonak
    For what it's worth: there seems to be a trend toward liturgical restoration in the Tulsa diocese. Bishop Slattery there has started a diocesan Liturgical Institute spreading reform according to the vision of Pope Benedict. It's headed by retired Abbot Marcel Rooney, OSB. It's training priests in liturgical chant and conducting other educational activities. Perhaps it might be worth contacting them.

The diocesan web site gives this address: liturgicalinstitute@dioceseoftulsa.org , though it might be more productive to speak to someone there directly.
  • As a resident of Oklahoma City, I concur with what has been said; however, there are a few other parishes besides the Cathedral which have choirs, some of which are doing some good things. But progress is slow. St Michaels, the "officially designated" Latin Rite church in the Archdiocese has an excellent Schola. The Tulsa diocesan leadership is much more progressive in moving toward liturgical restoration; and having the Clear Creek Monastery nearby is certainly a plus.
  • Hello all, I apologize for my delay in replying--I was recently married! Things have been hectic recently as a result.

Frogman, thank you for the advice and the encouragement. Your comments will help me put a point on resume and pursuit of a sacred position. Chonak, I've lived in Tulsa off and on for about 3.5 yrs and I enjoy what Bishop Slattery is doing for the Tulsa diocese--a friend of mine has worked for the parish in the past and has updated me on the direction of the Church in the Tulsa area. Needless to say, especially as a classically-oriented sacred composer, I am pleased to see the diocese heeding Pope Benedict's vision. Donna, I will keep my pulse on St. Michaels and perhaps attend mass there to get to know the folks there when I move to OKC in August.

Thanks for your comments! You have all been very helpful.

~SG
  • Welcome, Seth
    Wow, you might be the only other musician I've known to have done the Vincent Persichetti Missa!
  • G
    I apologize for my delay in replying--I was recently married!

Congratulations!

The Tulsa diocesan leadership is much more progressive in moving toward liturgical restoration

God reward you for using the word "progressive" properly! :o)

you might be the only other musician I've known to have done the Vincent Persichetti Missa

Tell me more, I've only known a few motets and hymns (very fine) which I could not interest my choir in.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Donnaswan
    Back when I was an undergrad at Westminster Choir College I had a paying job singing at Germantown Pres Church, where Persichetti was sung regularly. (I believe he hailed from Philly)
    But we had a lot of people, mostly Pres. from Oklahoma. The churches had very high standards. Don't know what is going on there now, but you might consider an Episcopal church there.

Donna
  • Why Episcopal? [I mean, we know, "Why Catholic?"]
  • GavinGavin
    Because they have a better choral tradition in America, presumably?
  • Created by the people. We are the people.

And the choral tradition that they have is not Episcopalian or Anglican, but actually a product of English churches, led by Richard Terry at Westminster in the earliest days of the 1900's.

That's Westminster Cathedral not Abbey. Back then that was the ONLY place you could hear Palestrina and Farrant and...make your list.

It's just such a travesty that the Episcopal church which has a miserable choral tradition in the United States throughout their churches is thought to be superior to Roman Catholic Churches which have equal or superior traditions but have been ignored.

And don't tell me about St. Clement's Philadelphia. Fantastic program. I counter with St. Clement's Chicago. Fantastic program, but they are not trying to be a Roman Catholic church. They are.

There will never be a great choral tradition or even a chant tradition in the US Catholic Church unless we do it, and many on this forum are. And it reopens the doors of churches to Catholics who were driven out by the crappy music, which exists throughout almost all Episcopal churches. Don't think you go there to get away from guitars and slop.

The liberalism that permits the ordination of openly gay clergy nods toward the English Choral tradition, but it also taps its toes and nods its head to guitars.

Instead of telling people to go to an Episcopal church to create great music every person in this forum should be totally dedicated to telling people to go and slog it out to create a great music program in a Catholic church. Believe it, love it and do it.

Right now the local Episcopal church in Athens, TN through my Episcopalian's wife's non-full time organist director job is making it financially possible for me to remain as director of the choir at SJN. And she may not be thrilled about it, but she knows it is what I want to do.

If an Episcopal church is what one recommends, then that's where the person should be.
  • Donnaswan
    Whoa! I didn't mean to imply the Episcopal church has better music- just that if he was hungry enough to take a job somewhere until a Cathoic Church came open, he could try the Anglicans. Heck, I've done'em all at one time or another, even something called Reformed Episcopal Church,. And we all know how much crappy music there is in the Episcopal Church, what with Betty Pulkingham, et al.

Donna
  • CharlesW
    I think it's fine to imply that the Episcopal church has better music. In this area, that has often been true - overall. There are three Catholic churches in this city that have good music, the remainder don't. Interestingly, all three of those music directors belong to CMAA. Nearly all the Episcopal churches have better music, better organs, and better paid music staff. It's easy to see that music has a higher priority in most of our local Episcopal churches. The Catholic churches, even the three musically good ones I mentioned, have lower pay, poorer instruments, and the music staff generally has to work with fewer resources.
  • Donnaswan
    Charles--We will have to meet sometime to commiserate, altho' we are a couple of the lucky ones here. LOL I just thought Noel got off on one of his 'rants' unnecessarily. But I understand- he has a tough row to hoe over there.

Donna
  • CharlesW
    Yes, we are lucky - at least I think so. And despite the difficulties Noel faces, he does a good job. I long ago accepted the fact that if I work in a Catholic church, I will be paid less. However, I am fortunate to have a pastor and associate who want good sacred music. The congregation doesn't want trash, either. But even I have made the statement that if I leave my current position, I won't look for another job in a Catholic church. I recall the days when I had one rehearsal per week, and one Sunday morning service, as opposed to the four masses I now have every Sunday. Those Protestants were warm, loving, and also very appreciative people to work for. I'm sure not every congregation is that great, because I have heard horror stories from Protestant musicians, too.
  • Any of us could create a group like this from youth in our parish....

http://www.mvhsperformingarts.com/?q=node/409
  • eft94530eft94530
    frogman: "That's Westminster Cathedral not Abbey"

Cathedral==C==Catholic
    Abbey==A==Anglican

Now it should be easy for everyone to remember!
  • BruceL
    Instead of telling people to go to an Episcopal church to create great music every person in this forum should be totally dedicated to telling people to go and slog it out to create a great music program in a Catholic church. Believe it, love it and do it.

YESSSS! If everyone bought into this, or rather was able to, things could be much better.
  • eft94530eft94530
    frogman: "totally dedicated to telling people to go and slog it out to create a great music program in a Catholic church"

A great phrase!
    Almost seems like a CMAA organization sub-title.
  • Donnaswan
    The perfect is the enemy of the good! (ESp. when it comes to paying your bills) LOL

Donna (An Episcopalian working in a Roman Catholic church doing her best for good Catholic liturgy)
  • Just completed a funeral, link to music pack at www.sjnmusic.com

It is possible, when the family requests or offers freedom to the musician, good music in a Catholic church.

Blowing up the PBC pages really eases the job of reading chant. I am convinced that large pages of chant are not only what was historically common, but also fit the eye. Modern notation may have evolved to be easier to read on smaller pages?
  • CharlesW
    I have seen prints from old paintings where the choir was assembled in front of a huge book, and all were reading from it. However, I suspect dealing with a Bach fugue written in neumes would drastically increase the suicide rate among organists. ;-)
  • Seth,

Check this out. It was just advertised in the Sooner Catholic newspaper (newspaper of the Archdiocese of OKC):

http://www.catharchdioceseokc.org/sooner/jobs.htm
    "Part-time Organist
    Sts. Peter & Paul Church, Kingfisher, is looking for a part-time organist to help with weekend Masses and/or occasional special events. Stipend is available. Call the Pastor, Fr. Stephen Hamilton for more information at (405) 375-4581."

Kingfisher isn't too far from OKC...just north actually. The priest there (Fr. Hamilton) is excellent and has a great love for great music (traditional chant, organ, etc.).

It's worth a shot and could help ya get your foot in the door!