'Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise'—new tune
  • I've been a silent observer on this forum for some time. I feel that I don't quite measure up, and I also know that my work and my cultural background is much different than most of yours. However, I appreciate the chance to learn from you all. One of my hymns may stand a chance here: a new tune that I wrote for Wesley's Ascension Day text 'Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise'. Any thoughts, improvements, or indications of glaring shortcomings are welcome.

Brandt
  • Can also be sung with George Herbert's text 'King of Glory, King of Peace', though I haven't decided if the mood of the tune quite fits. An incomparable text. As he so often does, Herbert manages to be magnificent, and charming, without seeming naïve.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • In the last line of the first verse, "highest heav'n" is on a descending line, precisely where (textually, anyway) I would expect it to ascend.

Welcome to the comment side of the forum.
    Thank you for this contribution.
    Thanked by 1BrandtNightingale
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    With 'King of Glory, King of Peace' as text, I'm not sure how you would handle the 74. 74. D metre, since your tune 744. 744. 744. 74 metre. MICKLEGATE is a nice tune, though.

Just for reference, I've set both texts to my tune GRAF (originally 76. 76. D, altered to 74. 74. D), and these settings have been posted here.
  • An interesting tune. One might suggest an alternate note or harmony in a couple of lines, but it is really fine. You may very well not know the tune Bryn Calfaria, but your rhythm in the first three line is identical to much of Bryn Calfaria, Not that you should worry about it - people accidentally quote another's work all the time and are not guilty of plagiarism. Your tune is very gracious (and I like it better than Llanffair, which I have never really cared that much for. Most people make a ditty out of it and sing it much too fast.
  • I enjoyed this; my only suggestion is not to end on the third of the final chord. The way it is prepared it feels rather unstable for the final cadence.
  • Chris,

I will think about that. The subdominant always brings in an ethereal quality, I think. But the effect is more triumphal than ascending, definitely.
  • CHGiffen,

My thought was to repeat the second and fourth lines. I will love Thee and I will move Thee. However, I just looked at GRAF, and it is in a higher league than my work. It fits Herbert's text far better.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MJO,

Thanks for your kind comments! I do know BRYN CALFARIA—one of the great hymn tunes—but I had not even thought about the similarities in rhythm. LLANFFAIR has never much inspired me either, which is why I wanted to write another tune. I'd enjoy hearing your suggestions regarding alternate harmony. This is partly what I meant when I mentioned a difference in culture: in my conservative Mennonite setting, we sing entirely a capella and generally use relatively simple tunes. But it's often the artist's job to question boundaries.
  • FKulash
    Good job! I think I'd like it even more if the whole notes in measures 2 and 4 were changed to half notes, so that it doesn't lose momentum so near the beginning.
  • The first measure is identical to Sydney Nicholson's CHISLEHURST. Measure two is very similar to Nicholson's. His tune was also written for "Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise."
  • I am pleased. I didn't really expect this much response! I am pretty certain I have never heard CHISLEHURST before. Actually the inspiration for this tune came from a theme in William Harris's wonderful setting of 'King of Glory, King of Peace'. There's a good recording on YouTube by the Choir of St George's Chapel Windsor. Confused with references and cross-references yet? I don't feel that it's plagiarism in any way. I followed where the theme led me after the first measure.