Recorded music before Mass
  • CharlesW
    Back in my teaching days, I usually wore earplugs to any kiddie concerts or programs. Also, when there was hippie music at the school mass.
  • francis
    Charles... aren't YOU an old hippie??!! I always pictured you with long hair and bell bottoms and platforms... you know... alternate rite Catholic?
  • Liam
    Francis

One example of my Is Outrage! annals was encountering a small group of 4 singers, 2 of them guitarists, all closely mic'd, with the lead male singer singing flat and the lead female singer singing sharp. Through the whole service, well, at least until I left at the blessing.
  • francis
    flat is one thing... sharp really gets my gotee... yeow
  • Liam
    Yes, we are somewhat used to flat because it's much more common. Sharp is uncommon and therefore more disorderly to our sense order, as it were.
  • I always pictured you with long hair and bell bottoms and platforms... you know... alternate rite Catholic?

As an old religious put it to me, the greatest tragedy of the 1970s was the loss of the hippie generation, due to the collapse of the major religious orders. Solesmes and Gethsemani were replaced by Woodstock.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I had bell bottoms and platforms when they were fashionable in the seventies. Then we had disco, pantsuits, polyester, etc. Church music, though, went into a decline in the late sixties. The problem with church music is that it didn't get any better in succeeding decades. Much of it is still bad and still the same music.

Bellbottoms were quite popular in my grandfather's youth - turn of the 19th to 20th century. They stayed for naval uniforms and didn't change until they became popular for the general public.

I was a faux hippie. My parents would only let me get away with so much.