Coordination of flights, rides etc. at SMC
  • JDE
    I will be arriving on Monday, 22 June between noon and 1:00 PM on United at O'Hare Airport. It seems likely at least a couple of other people are getting there about the same time.

Would anyone be interested in gathering at the airport and maybe sharing transportation to Loyola? It could save everyone a few florins and also allow extra time for getting acquainted with colleagues on the way to the meeting.
  • miacoyne
    My arrival time there is 1:48 on 6/22. How about setting a place to meet for people who want to share the ride, and people can meet there at every hour according to their schedule, starting 1 PM and 2 and 3 PM? I'm not familiar with the Airport, does anyone know a good place to meet? I remember there's a escalator going down to the subway. I wonder we can meet next to that excalator. So if anyone misses the group, he can take the subway. (I took subway last year. It was about an hour, pretty long ride.)
  • JDE
    You mean we can't just meet in the VIP lounge?
  • Anyone:
    arrive Midway Monday, June 22, 10:10 [I don't mind hanging out for an hour or two; I know how to do the el/subway, which isn't at all bad.]
    depart Midway Sunday, June 28, 5:10 [ditto]
  • Carl DCarl D
    Last year I just took the subway into town from the airport and it was wonderful. Had to switch once downtown, that's it.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I also took the subway last year. It's a lengthy ride, but it certainly gives you an overview of Chicago. Not recommended for people who don't travel light though.
  • miacoyne
    I was very tired after the long ride in the subway plus plane trip. But I don't want to spend $35 for cab either. (I could buy a book with that money at the Colloquium.) So if I can split it with a couple people, it would be nice. But even if I have to take subway again, I might see someone who is going to Colloquium in the train. (I remember Mj, you were sitting in same train with me for the whole time, didn't know you were one of us. This time I'm going to hold PBC and try to learn new chants.)
  • The subway from Midway is not bad, although the transfer is a bit of a hike.
  • Guadalupe
    I'm arriving at O'Hare at 2:15 and am VERY nervous about not knowing anyone. I'd love to join up with others at the airport.
  • miacoyne
    I arrive around 2 PM by United Air. We could meet somewhere.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Miacoyne has a wonderful idea - study your PBC on the subway, find a kindred spirit.
  • Guadalupe
    Miacoyne, I would really like that. I'm arriving by American Eagle.
  • miacoyne
    Great. We need to find a place to meet. I'm not very familiar with the airport myself. Can anyone who know this airport recommand a good place to meet? Or how about you email me the flight number, and I can meet you at the gate?
    And anyone else who want to join us, let us know here.
    Thanks
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Excellent idea. I'm arriving at O'Hare at 12:45 CDT on AMERICAN EAGLE and would love to catch up with some people and share a cab.
  • miacoyne
    Mary mezzo , would you be able to wait until Guadalupe (2:15) arrive? And how about Yurodivi, can you wait for us? And should we hold a chant book or wear a chant t-shirt? Does CMAA have chant T-shirt or Colloquium shirt for sale?
  • chonakchonak
    If either of you has last year's tote bag, that might be a helpful identifier!
  • AOZ
    You could all just hold up hand written signs like everyone else does in airports. CMAA Colloquium. That's the budget solution.

Sandwich boards perhaps. Better yet: yellow CRIME SCENE TAPE sporting the letters C.M.A.A. strapped around your luggage for easy identification on the luggage carousel. This certainly won't rouse the suspicions of officials in any capacity.

Sorry, I always take it a step too far.
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps this would be handy.

(UPDATE: I revised the PDF file to enlarge the image and add some details.)
  • miacoyne
    It would be nice to have a shirt with that sign in Chonak's file above. One way to spread chant and Colloquium. I bet CMAA can raise good money selling them. (both t-shirt and sweat shirt.) I'll buy them. Last year the chapel was very cold, and I had to go to the school bookstore and get a sweat shirt. It was pretty expensive, but i still love that sweat shirt; it says Loyola Univ.
  • Guadalupe
    I also would buy it/them.
  • JDE
    I would totally buy that t-shirt. And yes, I would be delighted to wait for others to show up.

I'm on flight 7211 from CAE, arriving at 12:44.
  • JennyJenny
    Daniel:

I am also arriving at Midway Monday at 10:10 (Southwest) Same fight, perhaps? Anyway, I'd be glad to share a cab or have a companion on the El.
  • Yes, indeed: it's clearly the same flight. Yes, either cab or El is fine with me. We can decide whenever. Thanks for looking that far back in this discussion!
  • chonakchonak
    Now that you've got me started, here's a version for a T-shirt:

(revised to incorporate Mia's suggestion)
  • JDE
    I like the first version better. Fewer neumes = more impact IMHO. But I would still buy the second one . . .
  • miacoyne
    I would love to wear that!! (I'll even get a few in different colors.) I'll wear it to every chant practice. My schola singers would be very interested in getting them too. Now how do we order the shirts and print them? Maybe we can add Colloquium too?
  • G
    "Last year the chapel was very cold, and I had to go to the school bookstore and get a sweat shirt."

Thank you for that reminder, I had completely forgotten.

And you might want to check out this

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    Well, there's an inspiration! OK, here's an on-line shop where you can get apparel with the designs above.

Unfortunately, such products are pricey in quantities of 1 or 2. For a dozen or more, you can get a better price from a screen-printing company like, e.g., customink.com. Drop me a note if you want a full-resolution copy of the images.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    I like the Gaudeamus sign! And sure, I can wait till 2:15 for the later arrivals. I'll have plenty of books to keep me occupied. I am eager to meet you all in the flesh.
  • miacoyne
    Great. I'm looking at the map of the airport. Terminal 2 is in the center. There is a Starbucks coffee shop, or we can wait somewhere at the beginning of Terminal 2. Here is the link to the map of the Airport. Let us know if you find better spot to meet. So far we have Marymezzo, Guadalupe, Yorodivi, Mia. Exciting!

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/concessionsohare/TerminalMapsord.shtm

Or I found another spot, Children's musium, near FI, at the beginning of the Terminal 2

http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/concessionsohare/pdf/T-22008FINAL.pdf

Chonak, thanks for the info and the image. I'm going to look into it today.
  • Guadalupe
    I totally bought the duplex t-shirt! I can hardly believe I'm getting to attend the colloquium; it's a dream come true.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    That is so wonderful! I mean, up with decentralization and the market principle.

• miacoyne
    Great. Should we move this to another thread, Colloquium shirts , so others can see it? (aren't we good at getting sidetracked, coordination of flights to T-shirts !?

Thanks Chonak for all your work. I'm ordering a couple and wearing it for the trip.

Guadalupe, which color? I'm getting the white, and you will see me wearing it at the airport.
  • miacoyne
    Jeffrey, is there anyway this can be in CMAA store? Before I pay to the company directly, I thought I wanted to pay to CMAA, if possilbe. Also if many people buy the shirts, CMAA could have some profit. Although I don't know how complicated it is to do so.
  • Guadalupe
    I got the white shirt, Miacoyne. I also will be wearing it at the airport. (Sincerely sorry about the sidetrack!)
  • chonakchonak
    I'm adding some options in dark fabrics too! (Man, I'm going to have to get one of these.)
    It's also not a bad thing for CMAA members to earn a few bucks from time to time. To the entrepreneur goes the proceeds, I say.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, there's not a lot of markup involved, but I'm planning to send some of it to CMAA. OTOH, I may not get enough commission to cover one T-shirt for myself!
    Business is way harder than people think. There's a long conspiracy afoot for MR=MC, which is to say, the long-run dissipation of all profits.
  • miacoyne
    Oh, I didn't know that one of us get some benenfits. Then I'm all for it. Whoever does chants, I'd like to help. Sorry, I just don't know this kind of thing very well.
    Gaualupe, don't be sorry. I'm the one started this side track but it was a good one, I think. I'm very excited I'm gettng chant shirts! Sorry can't help it.
  • BenB
    [Feeble attempt to get thread back on track.]

Arriving on June 22 at O'Hare 1:45PM. Will probably take the subway/el, if nothing else to get the benefit mentioned above of a good overview of Chicago as it's my first visit. Plenty of time to practice chant!
  • Mary Ann
    Is my first Colloquium; am arriving June 22 at Midway approx. 9:30/10:00 am on Northwest from Minn./St. Paul. Would greatly appreciate sharing cab ride cost to Loyola. Please email me: anderlma at yahoo dot com

So how about a "1st Timer Tips" thread for the new folks? The AOZ info/emails were extremely helpful, yes, but perhaps more along the lines of miacoyne's "the chapel was very cold bring a sweatshirt."

And may I publicly offer my thanks to God and to my parish for this incredible opportunity.
  • miacoyne
    Mary Ann, it seems that Daniel and Jenny are meeting around 10. Maybe you can join them?
  • miacoyne
    Well, 2:15 group, are we taking a cab? (I assumed we are, but I don't care either cab or subway, as long as I'm with the group.) How many can be in a cab?
  • Mary Ann: I am arriving at Midway at 10:10 on Monday, as is Jenny (see above).
    Let's definitely plan to make the trip together to Loyola.
    I'm up for either CTA (El/subway) or a cab.
    Regarding the weather: it can be anywhere from high-60s to low-90s during the day, when we are walking from place to place on the campus. Bring and carry an umbrella. There's wireless internet everywhere. This is one of the best organized conference weeks I've ever attended--and I've been to some large and extremely professional ones.
  • gregpgregp
    Last year the week of the Chant Intensive was very hot and humid; the week of the Colloquium not quite so much, although still very warm (I was always glad to get into the Chapel with its air conditioning). Don't worry about food; you will have more than you could ever eat and of great variety. Being right on the Lake, the surroundings are exquisite. There really is not a lot of free time if you go to Morning Prayer and all the sessions; someone said last year that they knew now how monks or nuns must feel their every waking moment is accounted for, but in a very good way.
  • Mary Ann
    miacoyne: I posted, then left immediately for Mass...thank you for responding.

Daniel Bennett Page and Jenny: Many thanks...I would be most happy to share a ride with you. Please let me know where you will be & how I can meet up with you.

gregp: Thank you, too...am looking forward to meeting you and everyone.
  • Mary Ann: Jenny and I are on the same Southwest flight (arr. 10:10 from Baltimore/BWI).
    We'll all end up in the terminal/transport/baggage area and can check in by cellphone and agree precisely where to meet.
    The main van services are quoting about $70 for three passengers, which isn't awful.
    The CTA trip is fairly easy except for the transfer between lines at the Loop, which has a moderate amount of up and down stairs.
  • miacoyne
    Daniel, I took a cab from Loyola to O'Hare last year with 3 other people. And I believe it was about $35. (each paid less than $10)
  • mjballoumjballou
    I am due to arrive at O'Hare at the insanely early hour of 8:30 a.m. While I'm certainly prepared to enjoy the subway alone, if anyone else is due in that early - I'm happy to talk shop en route.
  • Mary Ann
    Daniel: The cellphone connecting plan sounds fine. Between them and waving the Parish Book of Chant in the air I'm sure we can find one another.

I would opt for using van service to Loyola, although divvying up cabfare as miacoyne mentioned sounds even better. Just my two cents...I am a new kid on the block (and grateful to be one), but not a good stair climber, CTA or otherwise.