The OLD Te Joseph celebrent
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've just encountered a second tune for Te Joseph celebrent, besides the one on p. 1447 of LU '62. This one shows up in Medicaean/Pustet chant books, as well as some late-19th c. hymnals, where it's awkwardly set to an English translation in pentameter as well as to the Latin. It can be found here on p. 109 of the pdf (199 of the print). Already in Dom Pothier's 1891 Antiphonale, we have the modern tune. So, when and why did the modern tune start showing up in chant books? And is there anywhere a Solesmes version?
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • tomjaw
    From Liber Antiphonarius 1891, Note the slight difference also found in the L.U. 1910image

From Antiphonarium (Dominican) 1933 3 different melodiesimage
    The Ambrosian Rite does not use this Hymn, and the Carmelite supplement does not have this Hymn but uses the L.U. melody for another Hymn. The Franciscans use the same melody as L.U.
    445 x 397 - 101K
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Is this the Solesmes version? http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/chantsofchurch.pdf
    No. 54.

I also attach a modern note version.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Felicia
    @tomjaw, et al.

Thank you for mentioning the melodies from the Dominican antiphonal. Here's a recording of the Blackfriars at Oxford ("Godzdogz") singing the second melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSbZRI5gKPk
  • tomjaw
    @Felicia I prefer the second Dominican melody rather than the first, it is also used for Sacris Solemnis, and Sanctorum meritis in the Dominican Antiphonal.
    Thanked by 1Felicia
  • Tomjaw, when you say "Liber Usualis 1910" are you saying you have an actual copy of the Liber Usualis from 1910? How can that be, since the Antiphonarius didn't appear until 1912?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @Dixit_Dominus_44
    Yes, an actual copy Liber Usualis (editio altera) 1910 ed. No. 700 Desclee etc.

A number of editions of the L.U. appeared before 1912, usually they had both chant notation and modern notation editions. The arrangement of the book and contents varied. Mine has the Kyriale, Propers for Sundays and Feasts, commons but only Vespers for major Feasts.
  • …but how is it possible that you have a Liber Usualis with Vespers when that was not released until 1912 (some sources say 1913) ?
  • a_f_hawkins
    A long list of sources can be found on this site. Some are available in accessible forms, but not the LU tomjaw mentions which was for sale on eBay.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Here, image
    1818 x 1195 - 861K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • What do the sections from the Antiphonale look like?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A propos the 'old', what hymn is in the 1570 books? Te Joseph has only one hit at Cantus, and the Feast only two. This page dates Te Joseph to the 17c (not 1632?).
  • A number of editions of the L.U. appeared before 1912, usually they had both chant notation and modern notation editions. The arrangement of the book and contents varied. Mine has the Kyriale, Propers for Sundays and Feasts, commons but only Vespers for major Feasts.

What do the sections from Vespers look like? The official edition would not appear until 3 years later
  • tomjaw
    @Dixit_Dominus_44

Sorry about the delay and having to ask twice... Have just scanned the complete Appendix with Vespers and Compline, you should find all the files (pages) here,
    I have scanned it a low resolution (300dpi) as it is straight forward to produce a new version using GABC and Gregobase.
  • thank u mightily !
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • would it be possible to provide any samples of the 'proper' vespers feasts {not sure if i'm using the correct term for that} i.e. a major feast or sunday?
  • tomjaw
    @Dixit_Dominus_44
    Apart from the Hymns that are found in the section on Corpus Christi and other Hymns in sections with the Te Deum etc. this is all it has to sing the Divine Office... No Proper text etc. So not very useful... This book is more useful The Office of Compline, 1907 ed