Undignified Liturgical Music?
  • Liam
    "He [the Evil One] always sends errors into the world in pairs--pairs of opposites...He relies on your extra dislike of one to draw you gradually into the opposite one." - C.S. Lewis
  • lmassery
    I stopped reading when I got to the part about how Gregorian chant is racist.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sorry to burst your balloon, but:

It's Lake Wobegon, not Wobegone, and it's from the the title of a fictional news segment "News from Lake Wobegon" by Garrison Keillor on the NPR program "Prairie Home Companion" - and, that being the case, there is no way on earth, heaven, or hell that there would be a Lady of Lake Wobegon spewing special messages about Donald Trump saving America.
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 tomjaw
  • francis
    I will tell you about an obnoxious NO person since the trads are taking so many hits... few months ago, a person running into the sanctuary before the closing of mass with a candle lit cake because it was fathers birthday and she shouts out to me, 'play the song!'... I felt terribly traddy since I didn't play it... they went a cappella... and i quickly proceeded with the closing hymn at the very last note. (i have a great four part harmony for that birthday hymn... but NOT AT MASS! (mean traddy attack)... btw,,, i have hundreds of these stories from mean NO people... should I write a book?
  • My understanding is the Pope Benedict issued SP so to help make the OF more reverent. I think he hoped people would see the EF and try to bring the OF in their parish closer to that. I don't think he wanted to expand use of the EF so people would condescend on those who attend an OF mass, even a reverent one.
  • Pope Benedict didn't want anyone to engage in condescension. I do think it's fairly clear, however, that he wanted to expand the availability of the Mass of the Ages, instead of the Mass of THIS AGE.
  • Elmar
    Pope Benedict [...] wanted to expand the availability of the Mass of the Ages, instead of the Mass of THIS AGE
    ... by calling the Mass of the Middle Ages Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite?
  • CharlesW
    Trads often engage in a good bit of hype when it comes to describing the TLM. It isn't the 'mass of the ages' and reflects its Middle Ages/Renaissance time frame. Also terms like mass immemorial and such are not historically accurate. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it but a little more honesty in describing it would be a good thing. Some would nearly have us believe that the Apostles said the TLM with Renaissance extravagance and in what was really Roman street Latin.
  • rich_enough
    Goes both ways, my friend. How many times (for example) have you heard that the NO English Mass is practically the same as the liturgy St. Justin or Hippolytus knew in the 2nd century? Yes, a little more honesty in describing it would be a very good thing.
  • francis
    Then there’s the Rads... think I would rather be labeled a trad or a rad trad instead of a rad.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The externals of the Roman Rite often encountered are indeed of a more 16th century vintage, since that is when Pius V ended development with the Editio Typica of 1570, but the texts and substance of the Rite have been in place since at least the tenth century, as witnessed by the Gregorian Sacramentary & other Carolingian liturgical books. Granted, it would be nice to have older copies, but considering that things heavily used tend not to last long, it isn't surprising that early liturgical books do not survive from before that time.
  • dad29
    if Pius were here today, he would be largely ignored.

Read Mgr. Hayburn's compendium of Roman documents on music in the liturgy. They were roundly ignored since about 300 A.D.

So what's new?
    Thanked by 2francis tomjaw
  • francis
    dad29... it is truly revealing to read that book... probably the best compendium on sacred music ever written.