No Difference In Church Attendence Based on Worship Style - LCMS Data
  • Liam
    A set of talking points that combines things smacking of "we're the biggest victims" and "we're the only future left" is a set of self-soothing talking points. {Btw, this combo could long also be found in intentional Catholic communities at the other end of the spectrum, as it were. It's a feature of ... epistemic bubbles.}

• chonakchonak
    Those conditions were more common during the indult era, in the '90s. Back then the indult Masses in Boston, Hartford, and New Haven were in churches struggling to stay open, surrounded by industrial buildings or run-down public housing, in neighborhoods where most residents didn't speak English; and with odd scheduled times (noon, 2 pm, 5 pm). But some of that's changed now, since some TLMs have relocated and others have been added.

• Liam
    I am very aware of that history. That's why I asked about now and where....
  • rich_enough
    @Liam
    Well, that's one way of shutting down the discussion. Isn't "blaming the victim" another feature of epistemic bubbles? ;)

I really have no idea whether or not the TLM is "the future" - most likely not in the conventional sense of the biggest numbers and the most buildings.

I do know it is the future for me and my family. It may go the way of "fads" like Catholic Workers or the charismatics, but something tells me that a thousand years of tradition may have a bit more staying power. . .
  • CCoozeCCooze
    ...what happens when the kids grow up? My experience with kids is they often do the opposite of what the parents would have desired.

Well, for my family of 13 (11 kids), that wasn't the case.
    The vast majority of us (8/11) actively seek out Latin Mass... even though we drove anywhere from 1.5-3.5 hours, each way, to find Latin Mass when I was a kid.

Since even those who don't yet have kids and even those who don't actively seek out TLM are all still very much trads, if even the same ratio prevails, it still provides for exponential growth and stability.
  • Liam
    "Well, that's one way of shutting down the discussion. Isn't "blaming the victim" another feature of epistemic bubbles? ;)"

No.
  • CharlesW
    I think it has become a little more dangerous to be a kid these days. One can hope for the best and I do. Still a bit scary.

I wish I could share your confidence, CCooze, but I don't.
  • TCJ
    None of that is true in my area.

Whereas it is true in other areas.

I will agree that it's not as bad as it used to be as Chonak mentioned. I am also not suggesting that in every situation that a diocese was intentionally trying to sabotage the TLM (although I do know of an instance in which this was the case) or that the bishop was even hostile in the slightest. In fact, some of them have been supportive.

However, given that the churches available to put under the care of certain societies of priests are often older churches in areas of town which have become dilapidated (and thus changing demographic), those are the churches which many of the TLMs ended up being at. This also is the reason (often) for the disrepair. I would point out, however, that in many of these places, the TLM has become flourishing despite the initial circumstances -- something which the NO was unable to accomplish.

As far as the time, that tends to happen with diocesan TLMs. Again, I am not attributing it to intentionally sabotaging the TLM. After all, many of the pastors of these parishes want the TLM, but they don't want to remove a time slot from another Mass and anger the parishioners. The result is weird times for the TLM. I can think of one instance of a pastor changing a current NO Mass to the TLM rather than adding one.

In the most remote part of the diocese is because in certain dioceses, certain trouble-making (hint: staunchly Catholic) priests get sent out to the boondocks to be forgotten by the majority of humanity. There, they are sometimes left alone because they surely can't do much damage at a parish that is 30 miles away from anything else.

And again, it may not be true in your area, but it is/was true in places that I have been.

EDIT: I am also aware of a diocese (I'm sure there are more) in which the bishop has forbidden his priests from offering the TLM. So that happens, too.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • pfreese
    “ However, given that the churches available to put under the care of certain societies of priests are often older churches in areas of town which have become dilapidated (and thus changing demographic), those are the churches which many of the TLMs ended up being at.”

While that may be true, they also often tend to be the most suitable churches in any given diocese for worship in the EF anyway since they were purposely built for the Tridentine Mass. These are also often quite beautiful churches, and in North America are usually painstaking labors of love built by first or second generation immigrants of over a century ago, and many have historic designations. Every EF community I’ve visited hasn’t anything less than completely fallen in love with these edifices. It’s easy for me to see why given the choice between this and the plain mid/late-century suburban box churches that we know they love to loathe, all else being equal the former is invariably chosen.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    My guess is that a lot of those inconvenient placements for indult TLMs were motivated by a practical reason, the need to find a church that would not be inconvenienced by adding another Mass. In Boston, the arranged marriage worked out: the small German-American congregation and the larger Latin Mass community kept the church open for 15 years.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Liam
  • TCJ
    Pfreese, I agree. I've been to some of those churches and I really, really love them. They are incredibly beautiful and it is wonderful that they are once again used and being restored. Again, I never attribute (in general) any type of ill-will in putting the TLMs in those churches, but it doesn't mean that the TLM groups don't have to deal with the reality of a poor location, or their churches needing costly repairs, etc.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    In most American parishes, changing Mass schedules is a fraught business. Many parishes are better understood as a collection of parishes, each with its own preferred worship time on the schedule (there are people who float, as it were, and people involved in ministries and, if extant, parochial school, but they are not typically the majority). So, changing that without consulting those whose habits may get disturbed is a great well to self-generate a mighty and long-lasting headache. I've never understood in terms of practical realism the apparent assumption of some TLM folks that they were likely to automatically obtain a slot in an existing parish's Mass schedule unless it was a slot with few people already attached to it.

For all the thought that went into Summorum Pontificum, it and the instructions that followed never touched the issue of expressly permitting trination to meet additional needs. It's not like the issue was not raised before the MP was issued; it was just elided/ignored.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I agree. Changing mass schedules can create real discord in a parish. My own did that and some people never came back.

SP - a question? I know any priest can say the TLM but where does it say that any bishop has to provide diocesan property, parish churches, or reschedule any or all masses to accommodate it?
  • a_f_hawkins
    by this Apostolic Letter we decree the following:
    Art. 5, §1 In parishes where a group of the faithful attached to the previous liturgical tradition stably exists, the parish priest should willingly accede to their requests to celebrate Holy Mass according to the rite of the 1962 Roman Missal. ...
    Art. 7. If a group of the lay faithful, as mentioned in Art. 5, §1, has not been granted its requests by the parish priest, it should inform the diocesan bishop. The bishop is earnestly requested to satisfy their desire. If he does not wish to provide for such celebration, the matter should be referred to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei.

Art. 8. A bishop who wishes to provide for such requests of the lay faithful, but is prevented by various reasons from doing so, can refer the matter to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, which will offer him counsel and assistance.
  • CharlesW
    But what if the bishop wishes to find them a vacant Taco Bell building and doesn't give them use of parish facilities? I remember before SP that a common complaint was being forced to hold the TLM in cemetery chapels, schools and other less than favorable facilities. Has that gone away or does that still occur?

Some of the Trad media darlings are ranting on YouTube that the permission given by Benedict XVI is going to be revoked by Pope Francis. Gossip, or is there anything to this?
  • TCJ
    I know any priest can say the TLM but where does it say that any bishop has to provide diocesan property, parish churches, or reschedule any or all masses to accommodate it?

Nobody here said anyone had to do that, so quit insinuating it.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • chonakchonak
    Under SP, any pastor can authorize the use of his parish church for a TLM. Non-parish locations (school chapels, etc.) are up to the bishop's decision.

Reports of a draft document are showing up in columns by Vatican reporters. Supposedly a few drafts have been made and toned down from the original; one idea is that allegedly the document was or is going to limit the free use of the old rite to elderly priests.

Has the proposal been cooked up to drive tradition-minded Catholics into conflict, so that the German bishops can look OK when they implement the heretical proposals of their fake "synod"?
  • CharlesW
    Nobody here said anyone had to do that, so quit insinuating it.

No one is insinuating anything. These are some things I have wondered about and haven't really been answered. Worst case scenario but could it happen? Seems loopholes abound in the documents.

Has the proposal been cooked up to drive tradition-minded Catholics into conflict, so that the German bishops can look OK when they implement the heretical proposals of their fake "synod"?

Good question. That crossed my mind, too.
  • chonakchonak
    Anyway, to get back to the opening topic, the article with which the thread began does have some interesting conclusions:
    https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/promise-and-peril-the-history-of-american-religiosity-and-its-recent-decline/

Using variables for initial church size, initial church age, whether a church has a
    school, donations per average attender, the share of members who attend in an average week, local population change near a church, and a church’s liturgical style, I find that worship style does not significantly affect church growth. Churches with schools grow faster, churches with higher donations grow faster, and churches with more regular attendance among members grow faster. Large, old churches are shrinking, while more historic, smaller churches are doing better, as are big, new churches.

These other effects are all statistically significant, but church worship style is never statistically significant. And to the extent liturgical style has any effect, highly liturgical churches appear to be experiencing slightly faster growth (or, more typically, slightly slower decline) than are less liturgical churches, once I control for these other church characteristics. These findings are consistent even when I drop major statistical outliers from the sample. In other words, the evidence that changing musical style will lead to church growth is extremely weak. [p. 50]

So it runs contrary to claims that adopting this or that style of music will produce growth.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW eft94530
  • pfreese
    “ Has the proposal been cooked up to drive tradition-minded Catholics into conflict, so that the German bishops can look OK when they implement the heretical proposals of their fake "synod"?”

I have a hunch the German “synod” is going to continue to go nowhere. Pope Francis really put his head on the line the other month in denouncing blessing same-sex unions, and with last week’s canon law revision that, among other things, explicitly threatens automatic excommunication and laicization for bishops that attempt to ordain women to any degree of Holy Orders (including deacon). That’s an awful lot of political capital to burn if he’s just planning to roll it all back at by the end of the month. In reading Cardinal Marx’s resignation letter, I got a real sense of desperation and frustration that the “synod” isn’t going anywhere vis a vis the Vatican, and he’s probably much more privy to upcoming reforms than almost anyone else. I could be wrong but that’s the sense I get.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • [slightly off topic, but I don't think it needs its own thread...]

Does anyone know the on-the-ground conditions of the TLM in eastern North Carolina?
  • chonakchonak
    latinmassdir.org can give you some parishes to check as a starting point, if you make, say, a 50-mile search based on the location you're interested in. There are apparently TLMs in Raleigh, Dunn, Rocky Mount, and Greensboro.
  • KARU27
    Hmmm, "elderly priests"? The elderly priests I know are the ones most stuck in the 1970s. The FSSP priests that I know are the under-40 (and under-30) crowd.

In terms of the bad part of town - I like to play a macabre game, and if I see a news report of a shooting in my city, eyeball the distance from the crime scene to the FSSP parish. It's usually within a half mile. It's kind of a miracle that anyone attends there at all.
  • ServiamScores
    I know the nearest tlm parish to us has bullet holes in the facade. While it was a historic parish, it had been wreckovated to some degree and has required restoration and reinstallation of reredos and an altar rail. Conversely, I also know of many situations where they were NOT given a beautiful old historic parish and are forced to worship in very drab buildings on makeshift altars at very awkward times, while the beautiful historic parishes in close proximity are threatened with closure because they only have 30 attendees… so I don’t think the old trope of “give’m the crappy old church downtown” necessarily holds true. I’m also aware of multiple cases where diocese have refused to allow the use of certain churches by the SSPX, for instance, and prefer to close them or even sell them to Protestant groups over letting them be restored and used as intended by the SSPX, who are in turn forced to purchase Protestant chapels and make them work. It’s a quite queer situation, if you ask me.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    Back in the indult days the diocesan TLM was in a VERY bad part of a bad town: The pastor (ex-Army) took to wearing a bullet-proof vest (I know him personally, so this isn't just hear-say). He also had to replace windows in the rectory almost every week because they were being shot-out in gang wars. Fun times.
  • tomjaw
    So changing the Liturgical style is not statistically significant... But over what time frame?

Over a longer time frame Liturgical style would become significant, but this all becomes difficult to track as you rarely control the other variables. We can never be sure which variable caused the change. Also no two churches or two populations are comparable.

So we change the style, we will loose some people and gain others. We will have a delay as people need to change their timetable if they change churches, so the gain will take longer. Once this has settled like minded people mingle and we will see the rise in couples getting married, and then the rise in Baptisms etc.

Over the 25 or so years of our community we have gone from say 50 to around 70-100 in the first 5 years then sat at 100-120 for 10 years then a gradual increase over 5 years to 150, and now we have the Covid bounce to 220. Also we are still under some Covid restrictions so can't advertise!
  • Tomjaw,

[sarcasm] Surely you realize that the only reason you've got a bump from COVID is that the mindless people who don't care about helping others and think Mass is just "Jesus and me" have all found each other, making them easier to dismiss, since all the sane people are dispersed in all the properly Catholic, obedient parishes which will wait until the bishop and the governor say it's safe to go back to in-person worship, and in the meantime, are very happy at their screens.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Tom, were your 220 part of the (bias, reportedly) mere "Hundreds" that marched on London, the other day?
    The propaganda machine continues, to try to keep those not in-the-know in the dark. It's sad.
    But I saw some nuns in the video footage, which was neat.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    @CCooze The 220 is the average TLM Sunday Mass attendance so far this year, If you count unique visitors to our TLM Masses you would have at least 350. Anyway we are a broad church, we have the anti-maskers, the anti-vax and the masked and the vaccinated, we all get on fine. The N.O. people are a bit more careful and some are still hiding under doctors orders, but their Mass attendance is back to normal for most of their Masses.

The demonstrations in London have been very large... the last one 29th May was the biggest so far, although we had a Solemn High Mass that days so a good number of us were singing and serving that day!

The nuns are from the Tyburn Convent in London.

Our Parish priest is a Dean and one of the Episcopal vicars! so while we have the lowest level of voluntary restrictions, we are not doing anything unusual. The parishes that have been the most strict are the ones most likely to be shut down...

We have gained people because we continued our music programme, thanks to a very light reading of the guidance. It is also helped that several members of the choir share breakfast tables with each other, so no need to 'social' distance. We have also gained people because we did not use police tape to block off benches just red cord, and I produced our signage mimicking official roadsigns that are in blue which I modified slightly to Marian blue. We also made sure that our Covid marshals knew that their job was to help as many people to get to Mass as possible and to be welcoming and reassuring. I also printed that anti-disability guidance that we were not allowed to hassle people if they were not wearing masks! Other places had volunteers that terrified people and did their best to limit attendance...
  • It doesn't necessarily mean that. It means TLM attendance would be spread out more thinly over more locations and Mass times, and the legacy TLM parishes would see a drop in numbers.

This is what I meant by "cornering a niche market." I also think that the comments about constraints on TLMs (bad location, bad time, political barriers) miss the point here. If the TLM faced absolutely no constraints at all, maybe 5% of weekly Massgoers would choose it rather than 2%.

Which is why comments that presume that switching from the Novus Ordo to the TLM are a sure plan to grow the Church aren't realistic. And, it's careful to gaurd against this logic, because it's really easy to get fooled by anecdotal evidence. If you open the first TLM in 100 miles, your parish is going to experience growth, because now 2% of all regular Massgoeers in your area have a strong incentive to attend your parish. If one more parish opens, they'll probably see similar growth, because you haven't hit market saturation yet. And now, you've created a narrative that "people flock to tradition" and now if a bunch more poeple copy you, they're likely to experience disillusionmnet once TLM supply exceeds demand.

This has been discussed here:
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/have-we-reached-peak-latin-mass/

To avoid the pitfalls of anecdoatal evidence, it's important to draw conclusions from high quality data. The data in this report pretty strongly suggests that liturgical preferences have little or no effect on Church attendance when variables are properly controlled for. If people disagree with the conclusions of this report, I'd like to see equally high quality data refuting it's claims.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • ServiamScores
    In general I agree with that sentiment, that said, there is an undeniable shift in demographics between the two masses. There are an awful lot of gray hairs at one and an awful lot of babies at the other. I’ve seen it time and time again. What that suggests is that we are facing a dramatic shift in categories of measurable data. While in general I continue to expect the church to shrink writ large, I expect TLMs to continue growing. But when I say that it is not quite as simple as one crowd stealing from another… In some places it truly seems to be that one crowd is dying and the other is actually birthing new members.
  • CharlesW
    My own observation is that locally, many Novus Ordo parishes are growing and are
    prospering. They are not anywhere near death and new parishes are being built. Some TLM folks are like the blind people describing an elephant. They only "see" or are aware of their own piece of the beast and not the whole animal.

I actually like the TLM and this is not my view. However, I am old enough to remember that the majority of Catholics in the U.S. were more than glad to see the TLM gone. Most of the folks in NO parishes don't want it back. It appeals to a niche audience.
  • SalieriSalieri
    And this is where overall demographics of an area make a difference. I can easily see my diocese closing half of its churches in the next 10-15 years, not pre-emptively through "Pastoral Planning", but just waiting for them to die off. I can also see my diocese and the neighboring one, which were split (for political reasons to keep Boston and New York happy) in the 30s (iirc), merging in the next 30 or so years. This is because of an overall drop in population in this part of the state. (And, pace Gomez and USCCB, this won't be saved by the miniscule number of Hispanics here.)
  • ServiamScores
    Most of the folks in NO parishes don't want it back.

I think most N.O. catholics are too ignorant of it to even have an informed opinion about it. I suspect it is much like any other acquired taste: you don't know you'll like it until you've had it a few times, and most people haven't tried it and don't have any impetus to, particularly since the TLM has been falsely sold to people as antiquarianism. People are turned off from the idea due to false assumptions and ignorance. I've heard many people remark after their first TLM that "[they] had no idea Mass could be like this... could be this beautiful! I really felt like I could pray. etc. etc."
  • pfreese
    “ People are turned off from the idea due to false assumptions and ignorance. I've heard many people remark after their first TLM that ‘[they] had no idea Mass could be like this... could be this beautiful! I really felt like I could pray. etc. etc.’”

I know a large number of dedicated OF Catholics in my part of town who have definitely been to their fair share of EF masses and decided it wasn’t for them (which isn’t the same as straight up not liking it and wishing it would disappear). Many, like me, just aren’t as engaged as in a beautiful and faithfully celebrated OF, which thankfully we have many of around here. Others might be more inclined to take the EF seriously if not for the frankly caustic and snobbish politics that tend to lurk just below the surface in too many of these communities. Regardless of the extent to whether the latter is true or not, the perception is real, both on the ground and in many diocesan chanceries. And as someone who is sympathetic to the whole EF movement though not a participant myself, I really wish EF communities would take the latter more seriously, since the deficit of which could bear real consequences for them soon with possible forthcoming revisions to Summorum Pontificum.
  • "Niche market". Hmm.

When Thomas More was being pressured to cooperate with Henry VIII, someone said to him that all the great minds in England (except his) were on the side of the king, and he should consider abandoning his obdurate position, which (it was insinuated) he held for reasons of pride rather than truth, which (again, insinuated) was with the numbers. He replied that, if he chose as his sample not the great thinkers and great men of 1535 England, but the whole of Christian thought for 15 centuries, the truth could clearly be seen to stand with him, not with that one cohort in England.

In our time, perhaps the TLM is in a niche, but this is not true when we see a wider picture.
  • MarkB
    You cannot validly compare large majority apostasy in 1535 England to large majority celebration of the Novus Ordo Missae today unless you believe Vatican II was an illegitimate council and TLMers are (a-la St. Thomas More) in the position of resolutely standing against the new Mass as a sinful liturgical aberration or departure. (I realize some people hold such a view.)

The "wider picture" of which you speak in asserting the TLM's historically much greater popularity than the new Mass is also a flawed perspective. The TLM enjoyed an enforced monopoly in a single form since at least 1570, and it was little more than 50 years ago that the same authority that had enforced the monopoly for centuries authorized a significant change.
  • Mark,

I'm inclined to quote Pope Benedict on the subject of how any institution discredits itself, to the effect that when what has been held to be true is suddenly held to be false (and vice versa) a disorientation takes place.

About liturgical diversity, on the other hand, the predominance of the Roman Rite didn't prevent the existence of other rites, even within the Roman orbit. I'm not sure why the Sarum Rite was allowed to die on the vine, and someone will chime in here to fill in those details. Dominican Rite continued for years afterwards. In the Middle Ages, of course, liturgical diversity was permitted precisely because each rite conveyed the same faith.

There's a good book, if you don't know of it already, which compares the Latin of the collects of the Roman Rite pre and post 1969. I can't think of the name.

As to wholesale apostasy..... look around you!
  • ServiamScores
    I believe a large part of the sarum rite dying out was the apostasy of Henry VIII. If they had remained in the church, the Sarum Rite would have been considered grand-fathered in under the provisions of Quo Primum but because of the wholesale apostasy at the time, that didn't happen. Oddly enough, I do believe this means that ancient Sarum chants can be legitimately used as they qualified for retention at the time and didn't become fodder for Cramner to abuse since he came up with his whole new system. I stand to be corrected on the finer details, but that's my general understanding of the matter.
  • I'm inclined to quote Pope Benedict on the subject of how any institution discredits itself, to the effect that when what has been held to be true is suddenly held to be false (and vice versa) a disorientation takes place.

This quote abounds on the internet, and while I haven't read the full context of the quote, what it seems to be saying is in my opinion specious. Sacrosanctum Concilium (a document that the CMMA exists to promote the authentic interpretation of) called for a liturgical committe to revise the Roman rite due to deficencies that are clearly stated in Sancrosanctum Concilium.

The problem with the TLM, according to Sacrosanctum Concilium, is not that is it has suddently become no longer true, but that it was not nearly as effective as it could be in promoting "fully conscious, and active participation" in the liturgy.

Hence, the intention of Sacrosanctum Concilium is not to label the old Mass as false and replace it, the intention is to upgrade the Mass and replace it with a new and improved version developed form what came before.

So, you can argue that the committe didn't do what Vatican II told them to do and that the Novus Ordo isn't the revised liturgy called for by the Council, but that's a seperate topic.

The claim that replacing one missal with another involved labeling the old missal as suddenly false when it used to be true is so obviously a ridiculous claim that I have a hard time beleiving that anyone actually thinks this.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Jclangfo,

Some reforms are, in fact, revolutions. In defense of the council, it enunciated principles such as that nothing new should be created which didn't grow organically out of that which had existed previously. This principle was (putting it mildly) ignored by those who hatched the "reform" in practice.

What do you make of Fr. Gelineau's comment that the Roman Rite such as it had existed had been destroyed?

• Liam
    Well, Queen Mary I also effectively nationalized the Sarum Use when she caused a national missal to be adopted at the expense of other local English uses that previously co-existed with it in some ways.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What it seems to me is that they should have thought of a way to go back and see what they should change about the changes made between pre'55 and '62, rather than creating a new rite, but calling it the same right, but in English.
  • MarkB
    The editio typica of the new Mass is in Latin, not in English. Authorized vernacular translations of the Latin typical edition are numerous.

Anyone who compares the texts of the new Mass with the preconciliar Mass will notice considerable overlap and an identical ritual structure. The canard about it being a completely different rite, or a revolution, or that it isn't an organic development out of the Church's historical liturgy should be put down.
  • What do you make of Fr. Gelineau's comment that the Roman Rite such as it had existed had been destroyed?

The Novus Ordo is obviously a derivative work of the 1962 Missal and its previous editions. The parts that are most significantly discontinuous from the 1962 Missal are clearly called for in Sancrosancum Concilium, such as returning many of the responses to the congregation and allowing for use of the vernacular. The next most major discontinuity, the 3 year lectionary cycle, is a very popular change that most practicing Catholcis would like to keep.

The people that argue that it's "no longer the Roman Rite" attempt to drown their interlocutors with long lists of minor changes that the typical person in the pew can't notice. That we went from 9 stanzes in the Kyrie to 6, or that a bunch of prefaces are swapped out, etc. These changes are of historical and academic interest but only effect the Mass experience of people who have deeply studied these topics.

I often feel like a questionable game is being played with discussion of Vatican II where the big picture popular changes are labeled as "legitimate organic development" and then smaller minutia level changes are labeled as "discontinuity and rupture"
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • dad29
    I am old enough to remember that the majority of Catholics in the U.S. were more than glad to see the TLM gone.

Citation for that? I'm old enough to remember that no Catholic in the U.S. got a choice in the matter.
  • Liam
    Catholics were far more upset about Humanae Vitae (the month before HV, my late mother was giving birth to her sixth child as her first was graduating high school), as memory serves from my childhood anecdata, the people who were actively upset (as opposed to somewhat confused) about the liturgical changes were definitely considered somewhat odd (I remember the commentary about the group gathered around Fr Gommar DePauw a few miles from where I was raised).
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I'm old enough to remember that no Catholic in the U.S. got a choice in the matter.

Same as what happened after Trent. The normal course of action is that when a new ordo of the missal is published all prior editions are abrogated. I know that there's some legalistic argument about how the paperwork wasn't filed properly to abrogate the 1962 missal but I think that really misses the point, the intention of issuing a new missal is that people use the new one and stop using the old one.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    They didn't get a choice, but most of the folks in my parish didn't seem to mind the changes. A small, small number didn't like them but it wasn't the Novus Ordo then. That came years later. I still have my 1965 missal and the canon was still in holy, sacred, divinely inspired bad street Latin from an earlier time. There was no change in the calendar or the readings but readings were in English.

So, you can argue that the committe didn't do what Vatican II told them to do and that the Novus Ordo isn't the revised liturgy called for by the Council, but that's a separate topic.
    What you said about participation was true. I went to many a mass where the priest and the cantor in the balcony sang all the parts with no congregational participation. And this was the 1965 missal, not the Novus Ordo. The mass had become too clericalized. If you go to a contemporary EF that is still the case.

I often feel like a questionable game is being played with discussion of Vatican II where the big picture popular changes are labeled as "legitimate organic development" and then smaller minutia level changes are labeled as "discontinuity and rupture"

So true. Some of the TLM folks are obsessed with trivia and insignificant details.

• dad29
    The parts that are most significantly discontinuous from the 1962 Missal are clearly called for in Sancrosancum Concilium, such as returning many of the responses to the congregation and allowing for use of the vernacular.

Gee. You forgot about chopping the Offertory by about 2/3rds and the expressly-stated 'limited' use of the vulgar.

Same as what happened after Trent.

Oh. So ramma-jamma in 1969 is just fine b/c ramma-jamma in 1510 (whatever.) I see!
    Thanked by 2eft94530 rich_enough
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions