Hymns on priesthood/episcopate
  • PLTT
    I'm looking for some hymns on the priesthood or episcopate. Less in the idea of "priest forever" and more in the line of their ministry for the Church.

I found (searching old threads), this hymn by Vincent William Uher III (http://tonusperegrinus.blogspot.com/2009/08/hymn-for-year-for-priests.html) which has the general theme of what I am looking for - however, the 'instructive' tone of the stanzas makes it less suitable for my purposes.
  • It's not a hymn, but Byrd's Sacerdotes Domini would be splendid as a motet at the offertory.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Steve Q
  • What about the hymn Lord You Give the Great Commission? I know my diocese often does that one at the Chrism mass.
  • GerardH
    I expect this text is under copyright, but I have no idea who the author is. I've heard it sung to Old Hundredth. It's probably also meant for the Chrism Mass

EDIT: found more info through some better searching
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • Chrism
    Someone could set this public domain poem by Fr. Edmund of the Heart of Mary to music - it is in 8.8.8.6 meter.
  • Liam
    (Organists may love ABBOT'S LEIGH but the tune as such is better thought of as a vocalise exercise for Catholic congregations.)
  • pfreese
    My archdiocese typically sings “ Lord You Give the Great Commission” to ABBOT'S LEIGH at ordinations and the chrism mass. It always received a full throated response from the congregation, but it’s definitely possible that the sort of Catholic who attends/seeks out these masses is more likely than average to be willing/able to sing at mass in the first place.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    There is a hymn "Our Pastor" that appears in one of the old Berge's Catholic hymnals.
    Thanked by 2Chrism MichaelRaney
  • Here is a piece of mine---see the fifth verse.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    " . . . it’s definitely possible that the sort of Catholic who attends/seeks out these masses is more likely than average to be willing/able to sing at mass in the first place."

Gold star answer. Because 8.7.8.7 D tunes are long by nature, there's a built-in problem of developing pleasing variation over the duration of a verse/stanza; but there's something of a hidden (that is to the skilled musician) danger for unskilled PIPs (particularly singing earlier in the morning) in merciless voice leading and tessitura*. Many 8.7.8.7 D (or LMD, CMD) tunes may risk this. Certain masters found a kind of balance: consider Haydn's AUSTRIA.

* Re tessitura: HELMSLEY is an oddball meter, perhaps thought of as 8.7.8.7.12.7 instead of 8.7.8.7.[4.4.4.]7, but what makes it just a bit easier is that it's *not* a Double meter and the compass of the melody of the 4.4.4. line is fairly narrow within a comfortable part of the compass of unskilled mezzo/baritone voices (who are the bulk of singers in a congregation) and with excellent voice leading, so that the unskilled singer gets some relaxation before re-entry for the next verse/stanza.
  • From UK the Feast of the Priesthood of Jesus, hymns at the bottom of the PDF.
  • Another Hymn

Words by Robert Loretz
    Music by Jean Sibelius
    Tune: Be Still my Soul

1. Eternal Priest, You have become the Temple
    Entered the tent where God longs to meet man,
    and there you offer through your flesh surrendered
    your very self, as Sacrificial Lamb,
    And in your hour, at last embrace as Husband
    Her, ever loved in your eternal plan

2. Now intercede, fill with your Holy Spirit
    him whom you raise to share the rank of priest,
    That by his mouth your gospel may be spoken
    And from his hand your flock may know your peace,
    That he may worthily approach your altar
    Off'ring through you the Eucharistic feast

3. Conform his heart to yours, Eternal Shepherd
    That he may lay his life down for the lost
    May he partake, O Christ, in your own Headship
    And feed your Body, counting not the cost
    Configure him to have Your Heart, O Husband
    Which for your Bride was opened on the cross

4. Glory to Christ, our Altar, Priest, and Victim,
    In whose self-gift His Bride has been restored
    Praise to the the Spirit given through His dying
    In whom she is one spirit with the Lord,
    So that the Father for whom both are given
    Be, in the Church, eternally adored.
  • I would suggest consulting the index for "ember day" hymns of the 1940, 1982, and other similar hymnals
    Thanked by 1Liam