Small Electronic Church Organs for home use?
  • MargaretMargaret
    Hi! I am new to the world of organs and am interested in obtaining a small organ to practice at home, but have little idea what would help me if I'm practicing to play on a pipe organ. It is difficult to get time to practice on the real organ at my local parish. Are there smaller electronic organs out there (like the common Hammond or Yamaha ones) that simulate a pipe organ sound? Also, my piano teacher told me the common smaller organs where the top manual is shifted to the right, and the bottom to the left, with the peddles to the left also, would not help me for a pipe organ. If anyone has any idea or knows about what I'm looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
  • GavinGavin
    You would want to look for something used by Allen, Rodgers, Albhorn-Gallanti, or something of that nature. Make sure it has the full-size pedal board as well. You may wish to watch the newspaper for listings; every now and then something good pops up.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I will echo Gavin here, and emphasize the pedal board. But the whole console really needs to be to AGO standard measurements, especially if you are practicing for playing a pipe organ on the weekends that IS to these standards. Eve some electronic models, while they might have 61 notes on 2 manuals and 32 pedals, are quite far from the AGO standard, and would not be a good investment at any price.
  • (1) You could really use the help of someone in your area who knows electronic organs. (2) Organs are traded on Ebay (caveat emptor).
  • miacoyne
    I got my practice organ from an Organ Service, which I found through the church. The person who runs the Service repairs old organs sells them. If you are looking for an inexpensive organ, you could look for those in your area. I think I had a two year warrantee and a free inspection for a year or two. He even delieved it.