Compline at Holy Trinity is back up
  • jefe
    We've been recording our Compline offices with the smallest ensembles and no audience using all the protocols. Note: three of the singers are from one family.
    Typical is one rehearsal and record at the end. As you will read below, we had two rehearsals, separated by one year.
    Here is the announcement and program information for 2021-03-07 that was posted on our facebook page. There is a lot of Tone 2.

Welcome to our Lenten Compline offering.

Renaissance Man will chant the ancient office.

This is exactly the same quartet that had their rehearsal of this exact same score during Lent exactly one year ago. Since we expected to sing the following Sunday we left our scores on the music stands in the loft at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, but it was not to be. The scores languished on the stands for 6 months. It was like a Twilight Zone episode with the dusty music in a choral silent sanctuary.

We never got to chant this compline until today.

Click and open the dropbox link on your device. You may have to copy and paste the link address into your browser.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7aqbdx04cbp9vt/20210307.mp3

The Big Five changeable tunes at this Compline:

ORISON: Psalm 130, De profundis is one of the Penitential Psalms as harmonized and set by Jeff Reynolds in the style of Igor Stravinsky. The tune is an ancient Russian Orthodox chant.

1. “Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;

Lord, hear my voice; let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.

2. If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss, O Lord, who could stand?

3. For there is forgiveness with you: therefor you shall be feared.

4. I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him; in is word is my hope.

5. My soul waits for the Lord, more than watchmen for the morning more than watchmen for the morning.

6.O Israel, wait for the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy;

7. With him there is plenteous redemption, and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be. Amen.
    Ant: Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord.”

The COMPLINE HYMN Tone 2 arranged by Kevin Siegfried in organum,

with text alternating in Latin and English.

PSALM 95 Venite, exultemus plainsong Tone 2.1

NUNC DIMITTIS with antiphon Tone 2.2 Faux Bourdon verses by L. G. da Viadana arranged by Bill Bertolas

ANTHEM: Ubi caritas composed by Ola Gjelo with prequel chant. Sung in Latin.
    (*this edition is up a minor 3rd from the TTBB version)

“Where charity and love are, God is there

The love of Christ has gathered us together.

Let us rejoice and be glad in it

Let us revere and love the living God.

And from a sincere heart let us love one another. Amen.”

Countertenor and Cantor: Robbie Merchant

Tenor: Jeff Reynolds

Baritone: Speaker and Recordist: Matt Reynolds

Bass: Jim Reynolds

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    I appreciate that you are doing the exact same program that was cancelled. Way to set things to rights.