Female Instituted Lectors and Acolytes
  • BhCordova,

I think that he suppressed them, not eliminated them. The suppressed Jesuits were un-suppressed some years later.
  • CharlesSA
    bhcordova,

No. The minor orders were suppressed in 1972. That was 3 years after the "promulgation" of the OF.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • stulte
    @bhcordova -
    I remind everyone that Pope St. Paul VI eliminated the minor orders, and that was before the institution of the OF. So the argument about the EF is invalid.

Are you referring to Ministeria Quaedam? That came out in 1972.
  • ...unless of course one reasonably holds the position that it was imprudent and destructive to have done so, and thus the minor orders should be restored.

And if we are going to hold the "hermeneutic of continuity" then we need to inform the new rite from the old, since they are—apparently—closely related.
    Thanked by 3sdtalley3 tomjaw CCooze
  • a_f_hawkins
    Fr John Hunwicke is no fan of Pope Francis. In his latest post he is very positive about this motu proprio and deaconettes (as he calls them).
    This makes it all the more remarkable that PF is actually jumping one step ahead of the heretics. Like those orthodox Catholics who point out that the Sacrament of Order is essentially indivisible, PF treats Holy Order as one. In his Post Synodal Exhortation, he took the claim that "women would be granted a greater status and participation in the Church only if they were admitted to Holy Orders", and then remarked "But that approach would in fact narrow our vision; it would lead us to clericalise women, diminish the great value of what they have already accomplished, and subtly make their indispensable contribution less effective".
    That last extract seems reasonably clear.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Since the minor orders have been suppressed, even for the EF, I still say this is all a moot point.
  • SalieriSalieri
    The point isn't exactly moot: And, frankly, poses another issue: What exactly is it about these "lay ministries" (per Paul VI) that distinguishes them from other lay ministries, such as Cantor or Usher (which the latter can be seen as a revival of the order of Porter)? Why do they deserve a special "institution" that other lay ministries do not? And, if they are not Minor Orders (which they are not, per Paul VI), why keep treating them as such in seminaries?

And: as devil's advocate: If women can now, officially, take part in what were once Minor and Major Orders, and do things (officially, as "instituted ministers") that were once the exclusive (or near exclusive) preserve of Clerics, namely, those of the Lector (reading the Lesson) and Subdeacon (reading the Epistle and bringing the chalice to the Altar at the Offertory), or functioning as EMHC, can there be any reasonable argument against their ordination as Deacons: reading the Gospel, putting wine and water into the chalice, and saying a few inconsequential phrases like "let us offer each other the sign of peace."? And even preaching: After all, lately, I have heard much better sermons from women in the C of E or PECUSA, than from Catholic priests.
  • I have always thought that choirmasters should be instituted. They were held in far greater regard and were far more liturgically important in certain historical periods. They were scholars and guardians of the Church's patrimony of music and were charged with providing the right music at the right time - without need for any consultation or approval from anyone. In many Anglican cathedrals choirmasters are given the dignity of 'canon for music' and are quite highly respected and valued.

Salieri's points are very well made.
    I would suggest, though, that the current practice of bestowing 'institution' on acolytes and lectors speaks of the particular liturgical importance of their role at mass - and the training, and, presumably, the calling which qualifies them for it. They have, as it were, been given the place that formerly was given to minor clerical orders - but the bestowing of this formerly clerical role on 'lay persons' in no way reduces the importance of what they do. They should rightly have a certain dignity given to them reflective of the ritual importance of what they do, and of the preparation, study, and training which has prepared them for it.
  • Elmar
    I have always thought that choirmasters should be instituted
    ...which might also give them a better position vs. the 'wishes' of the parish council...
  • tomjaw
    ...which might also give them a better position vs. the 'wishes' of the parish council...

With all this discussion about instituting various important roles in our parish communities, perhaps we should institutionalise the Parish council... end purple text...
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Will this instituting change the beloved local custom of choosing either random PIPs or recognizable regulars to go up and do the readings? I'll miss the spontaneity.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores Elmar
  • Elmar
    Should remain in place, still there is the risk that instituting lectors and acolytes pushes the non-instituted aside - kind of re-clericalisation of these ministries through the backdoor.
    I'd miss the spontaneous stumbling over the names of peoples in the reading on St. Stephen
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Exactly. I would miss hearing about Adam and Eve realizing they wuz nekkid.
  • chonakchonak
    The minor orders weren't totally suppressed, as they have continued to be conferred in the Catholic Eastern Churches. Also, the minor orders have been conferred again among the religious orders dedicated to the old rite. So it seems they've been restored somewhat to the life of the Latin Church.

As a result, the Church has men in minor orders, and will have both men and woman in lay ministries which involve some of the same functions.
  • I agree with the assessment that instituting lectors and acolytes is a good thing, but also that instituting women (or girls) in these is inherently problematic. Girls and women do many good works, and contribute to the proper operation of a parish in a great many ways. They also live beyond parish life and do many great things there. Insisting that they be instituted to do what was previously held to be man's work is, frankly, a devaluing of the gifts of women (because they can't be appreciated for who they are, unless they're doing men's work) and, especially since they'll be instituted but unable to receive orders, a kind of schizophrenic clericalism.
  • a_f_hawkins
    There are, to my mind, both good and problematic aspects. Good to have people properly trained, may be a problem to have them permanently established. I think I am right in saying the CofE does very well in training their equivalent 'lay readers', and establishes them in office, but the bishop licences their operation, and can withdraw the licence for his diocese.
    EMHoCs were trained in Southwark, but only authorised for a year at a time, requiring a formal act of renewal.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    random PIPs or recognizable regulars

I've only once ever read at Mass. I've always thought I'd be "good at it" (especially when having to listen to little old ladies or women with annoying voices, or just people who clearly have never had to get up and speak before), but I still don't believe it's a woman's place, and so I try to remember that the idea to go where I don't belong isn't a calling from God.
    The only time I've ever been a lector was at a Mass during a short period of time when we (cantors) were forced to sing from the ambo, and were supposed to be there, seated at the side before Mass. As I stood during the processional, when Fr. reached the front, he made the long way around the sanctuary to say, "can you read?" My immediate thought-response was, "that's a dumb question, of course I can read." I guess whomever was supposed to be lector wasn't at Mass.
    It was incredibly embarrassing to read, sing the resp. psalm, read, intone the Alleluia+verse," all while never leaving the ambo. Blah.
    I don't mind singing in front of people, even having solos, but I'm so glad that the psalm from the front didn't continue. I really didn't feel comfortable being in/on the edge of the sanctuary. It's just wrong.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    As a lector, I like the idea of being an instituted lector. I will have to ask my priest how to go about it.
  • My first year as a Catholic i was asked to read every single day, despite having to read in a foreign language! After a while I discovered the knack of not being asked (arrive last minute, hide in the back).
  • Liam
    Well, where I grew up, sitting in the back meant getting to Mass really early. Because in a Catholic church, everyone knew the the penalty boxes were the front rows. My family was quite contrary to the dominant pattern: we got there very early AND sat in the front row (communion went from back to front rows).
  • we don't restrict choir directors or members

Some do. A newly ordained priest from our Latin Mass community visiting the Diocese to offer a first Mass at his parish hew grew up in (a modern building with no choir loft). He asked the schola to sing for his Mass, even though I’m a member of the schola, and he knew this, he wouldn’t allow me to sing because I am a woman (I have a rather low range) and he was worried about pictures on the internet of a woman singing with men being too scandalous and wouldn’t be able to defend it. He told me I should accept not being allowed to sing as a penance. Our priest wouldn’t even so much as speak to him about it.
  • rich_enough
    Since the minor orders have been suppressed, even for the EF

This will be news to the Fraternity of St Peter and the Institute of Christ the King, who still confer them on their seminarians.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • My understanding is that these groups still do the rituals, but they doesn't have the same spiritual impact as they did prior to Vatican II.
  • Nathan,

Could you elaborate what you mean by
    t these groups still do the rituals, but they doesn't have the same spiritual impact
  • Ordination creates an indelible mark on the soul of the one being ordained. The conferral of the minor orders did the same. After they were suppressed, they no longer create this mark, however the FSSP and the ICKSP still do the rituals to prepare their seminarians for the priesthood. I had found a source one time that explained this, but I cannot find it again. This is all coming from memory. If someone has better information, please explain what I am remembering incorrectly.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Liam
    Minor orders were sacramentals, not sacraments, as they were not of Divine or Apostolic creation. https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10332b.htm
  • toddevoss
    Fr John Hunwicke is no fan of Pope Francis. In his latest post he is very positive about this motu proprio and deaconettes (as he calls them).

Yes AJ Hawkins - I had his read the entire post earlier today. He goes on to make the case further. I recommend the reader to it. And Hunwicke signed the "heresy" letter (which I disagreed with), so he is hardly disposed to give PF the benefit of the doubt.
  • Thank you, Liam. What I had read was a while ago and I was remembering incorrectly. Now that I think about it, it may have been the subdiaconate ordination. Or it's possible that I am misremembering everything I had read, I'm not sure now.
  • Fr Hunwicke is also a master of saying one thing and meaning the opposite, for humorous effect. I'm not good at telling the difference though.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    The minor orders are "just" sacramentals, and frankly, if we would go back to the manualists, having unleashed enough disgust on to their theology for the past eighty years, we would find that they greatly respected this ecclesiastical institution, because of the clear tradition: men alone touched the sacred, men alone served the liturgy. Women purifying by right as an instituted acolyte is disturbing; men purifying as laymen was already something with which we should have been uneasy to be quite honest.

Further, the inability to identify the power unlocked by the character imprinted is not particularly problematic; we can't exactly do it for the diaconate either, and these orders, at the least, were simply separated from the diaconate over time. In any case, and again, at the very least, minor orders were seen as an extension of holy orders, which were the only sacraments conferred during Mass. All others are conferred before Mass, even baptisms and confirmations on the paschal vigil and that of Pentecost, instead of shoehorned inside of the Mass after the homily. Thus the minor orders were reserved to men, and I think that although Paul VI clearly wanted to expand them beyond seminaries, he was sufficiently cognizant of the tradition to limit the new ministries to men; they may be founded on baptism, but even so, that doesn't give all the faithful, let alone all of the men, a right to be instituted.

One can probably add to the minor orders, that is, Amalarius of Metz may or may not have identified the subdiaconate clearly as a major order, but that Thomas Aquinas did so is unsurprising and is entirely consistent with the subdiaconate's role. But to completely move away from them is disturbing.

Others have pointed out the female deaconesses revived in certain Orthodox jurisdictions, which proves nothing, because such are found in one document (admittedly widely copied) at the beginning of the Carolingian empire, having never showed up otherwise in the liturgy of Rome, and because they had a limited role. Further, just because two Orthodox churches are in communion doesn't mean anything; they're often in communion even when their practice is entirely contradictory and when they view the other as doing something sacrilegious, and this goes for bishops within the same church too.

Now, the good news is that Francis is clearly trying to throw a bone. This is not simply legalizing what's being done, as with female servers, because you couldn't hitherto institute women, but Francis is very much against the female diaconate, despite his revived study of the matter. However, he seems to have sharply divided baptismal and sacerdotal ministry, which is a problem, because Benedict XVI moved them closer together with Omnium in mentem, and Francis has now clearly contradicted the literal sense of that change to canon law. He also is mistaken if he thinks that the new acolytes won't do more, because they're already doing more, particularly in the Germanophone world, and his successor is going to have quite a lot of work to do.