NOH Volume V in LilyPond
  • I've finished typesetting volume V of the NOH into LilyPond. At some stage I'll upload it to GitHub to be merged into the existing project there. If there's sufficient interest I'll proofread and upload volumes 1-4 as well. (They're mostly transcribed.)

I had hopes that the LilyPond version could be used as a basis for a retypeset edition (copyright permitting) or even individual propers booklets, though the technical difficulties I've encountered have sunk that idea unless someone more knowledgeable can improve on my work.

Anyway, I finished volume V in the hopes that it would be useful. I'm not a musician so my apologies for errors you find in there (proofreading Chant is much easier for me than modern notation), so any proofreading is very much appreciated.

PDFs:
    Zip file available here .
    Tarball available here .

LilyPond:
    Zip file available here .
    Tarball available here .
  • davido
    Andrew, I look forward to taking a look at this when time allows! Great project
  • francisfrancis
    Wow... can I get the whole thing in one zip file?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I've been thinking of transcribing these into Finale, but not enough time to do so.
    Is there anyway to import this into Finale? I would love to be able to edit and transpose these, but I'm not familiar with working in Lilypond format.

I did find one typo in Credo III: the accidental on the Amen.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    What is NOH?
  • Nova Organi Harmonia, a collection of chant accompaniments.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • francisfrancis
    Tried to get PDF zip bot doesn’t let me download
  • francisfrancis
    I would like to edit also in sib. Is there a way to convert?
  • davido
    No, lilypond does not port into graphical notation programs like finale or sibelius. It also only barely works with musicxml.
  • davido
    Andrew, in your .ly files, do you need to include "gregorian.ly"? gregorian.ly includes the lilypond square note notation, but I don't see that you are using anything from that font except the gregorian barlines.
    But since you redefine the gregorian bar lines in noh.ily, I don't think you need gregorian.ly and I think that it actually is what is causing the uneven spacing in melismas.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Lilypond will export a midi file, with dynamics. Does that help?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Perhaps. It depends how it is setup and how Finale interprets the data upon import. I have imported from MIDI before from CPDL. Sometimes it works well, other times it's easier to just start over rather than having to edit so much. But it's worth a shot.

I'm not entirely happy with Finale, especially the lyrics tool, but it's what I know and I don't really have the desire to learn something from scratch.

Even so, the newly engraved Lilypond files are much easier on the eyes than the scanned versions of NOH. So I'd be happy to collect the PDF's as they become available.
  • francisfrancis
    OK... got the zip of pdf files.. this is GREAT! Thanks.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Hinkley
  • The reason I included gregorian.ly was the quilisma. The existing project on GitHub places a quilisma above the note, which is what I've done so far, but the original replaces the notehead with a quilisma. I noticed that gregorian.ly adds the quilisma command which at some stage I might do a search and replace over all my lilypond files.

I should probably just add the relevant code to the noh.ily file instead of adding the entire gregorian.ly.
  • The lack of export features in LilyPond felt like a torpedo to my project. :( My work would be that much more useful if it could easily be imported to Finale/Sibelius/etc. Using LilyPond makes note entry that much easier for me (the melodies were converted from Gregorio via Python script) but it's a real let down when it can't easily convert to formats other than MIDI.
  • davido
    Yes, just create a bid of code that replaces a note head with the symbol for the quilisma. Hen you can eliminate Gregorian.ly and I think you will be very pleased with the resulting layout changes.
    I was advised by the Lilypond email forum years ago that Gregorian.lay was the source of similar formatting problems.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Hinkley
  • Palestrina
    This is an excellent project. Firstly a question, then a suggestion...

Is it the intention of the authors that the organist double the melody in accompanying, or only play the lower voices?

Might it be possible (given how widespread the use of the Solesmes method is), to take this opportunity to make in all the epesimas etc in the edition, or release one version that has these marked?