• ninaeng
    I play the piano at my church before mass and sometimes during communion. Do any of you guys know any good, quiet, and peaceful songs (religious or not) that would be good for before mass or during a quiet part of mass?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Please review the following: FAQ on Sacred Music
  • ninaeng
    I reviewed the FAQ on sacred music. Is there something specific on there that pertained to my previous question?
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, ninaeng.

Look for piano pieces based on some of the classic Gregorian chant melodies, such as

"Adoro te devote" (On the eucharist: Devoutly I adore thee)
    "Salve Regina" (Hail, Holy Queen)
    "Jesu dulcis memoria" (Jesus, the sweet memory of thee)
    "Ave regina coelorum" (Hail, Queen of heaven)
    "Attende Domine" (for Lent; "Give ear, O Lord"),
    "Veni creator spiritus" (Come, Holy Spirit, Creator).

Since I'm only a beginner at piano, I don't know any particular settings to suggest, but perhaps someone else can offer ideas. Or you may be able to find something by searching through some of the sheet music sites on the web (especially if they show a sample page you can print).

You might even take a look at the Nova Organi Harmonia books. They're organ accompaniment for choirs singing chant pieces, but you might find some of them suitable as instrumental music before Mass. Start with volume 5; it has many settings for the Mass ordinary parts (Kyrie, Gloria, Agnus Dei). (If you like them enough, your choir could even start to sing the pieces *in* the Mass.)
  • miacoyne
    I played piano alot at the mass before I learned to play the organ.After I found the beauty (and also very challenging personally), I cannot turn around. You can hear many peaceful piano music outside the church and in many casual places too, but not many people hear organ outside the church. I think it's very special. Have you ever thought of trying the organ? I hope you have one in your church.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Look at organ music collections that are "manuals only." Google the Organ Historical Society. They have a fairly extensive catalog and you can limit the search to manuals only.

Where I live we have lots of churches without organs or with pastors who dislike them intensely.
  • ninaeng
    Thanks chonak, miacoyne, and mjballou.

In response to your quesiton miacoyne, I actually have thought about learning to play the organ. I actually got in touch with a guy who plays organ, and he offered to help me out. To tell you the truth, I'm only in high school, and I've been playing the piano for pretty much my whole life. But when i find the time (outside of doing homework and such), I really do want to try and learn organ (it does look challenging though!) And yes my church does have an organ. It just lacks a player at my mass.

But Thanks guys again!