Anglican Chant Propers
  • I have quite accidentally stumbled onto the complete psalter sung to Anglican chant, which many of our Forum members are fond of. The chant is beautifully nuanced and, though no performers are given, seems to me to to be the work of Barry Rose when he was at Guildford Cathedral. I've been listening to it in segments. If any want to hear it complete or in snippets go to psalter psalms youtube. A profoundly holy Triduum to all, and the most joyous Easter you have ever had.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    During my years at OLW, I pointed quite a bit of Anglican Chant for the congregation to sing. It included Prayerbook English, modern English, Latin, and even Spanish. I think Anglican Chant is the most versatile chant available.

Here at Stella Maris, we now use Anglican Chant very often, especially for Gospel Acclamation verses.

I'm attaching two versions of "Parce Domine" and the Alleluia for Easter Sunday that I recently composed. The Antiphon's source is obvious. The verse is based on the "Amen, Alleluia." of the Sequence. My purpose was to have something that followed the Sequence in the OF Mass order that re-connected the Alleluia to the Sequence.
  • MatthewRoth

I would often use the Gregorian tones for psalmody when i was serving the Lutherans.
    Some high church Lutherans sing plainsong quite often and proudly, and aren't the least bit afraid of it. Other Lutherans sing it occasionally not realising what it is - they are actually quite paranoid about anything remotely Catholic. Tell them that Luther loved Latin, retained much of it in his liturgies, and loved the motets of des Pres and others and it doesn't compute - you just get a blank stare. Lutherans are not taught that Luther loved Latin and would have preferred that Lutheran liturgy be in Latin, purged of certain prayers which in his troubled mind were, shall we say, 'erroneous'. Only at the insistence of some of his even more radical colleagues did he provide them with his Deutsche Messe, which no one uses nowadays.

Marianne Gillion is a postdoc working in Belgium who does a lot of work on plainsong, mostly Catholic, as far as I can tell, as she's in Belgium and Plantin was a massive produce of Catholic plainsong in the latter fifteenth century. She also does work on Protestant books.

Anyway, I think that it was she or someone whom she retweeted that talked about the Lutheran reception of the Missa Pange Lingua Gloriosi (cf. this article from an academic journal), and of course Bach knew the tradition of tropes even in the latter seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries.

It's also funny to me, as I regularly find blogs run by Lutherans when looking for information on the psalmody according to the books of Solesmes.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Very nice, Steve - and tastefully done.

Anglican chant does work quite well with Latin.
    Felipe Gaspar, now in Toronto, but one time choirmaster at Walsingham, used it very often at EF vespers at the very conservative Church of the Assumption here in Houston.
    I've always identified Anglican chant as a species of faburden, which is likely the inspiration for it, though the lack of a cf (except in rare cases) makes of it a cousin rather than a brother to faburden.
    Thanked by 1Jehan_Boutte