Things that do not make sense to this ex-Anglican
  • ...I wear a suit...
    This remains another thing that is strange about going to Catholic mass. Most people dress no differently than they would to go to the grocer's or to sit around in their family rooms. In my experience dressing up to go to church was a given. It isn't as if the Lord's house and his worship demanded anything less than our best in every aspect. It is a given that we normally wear our finest at important occasions. I had, before becoming Catholic, thought that the only people who were so weirdly lax in their attire at worship were Baptists and their ilk.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • CharlesW
    Actually, the Baptists dress better than the Catholics these days.
  • I've rarely heard anyone comment on dress in a church, unless to say something someone is wearing is pretty.

I once, and only once, saw a woman turn around in her pew and scold the plump teenager behind us who was wearing something akin to a jawdroppingly small and flimsy nightie. The girl just stared in awkward embarrassment, as if she didn't comprehend the scolding. I suspected later she was just accompanying her girlfriend who wanted to stop in for Mass while they were out shopping together, and she hadn't realized what she was getting into.

I once admired a gentleman who always showed up in a suit for morning Mass, even in summer, until one day I went on Saturday morning instead of a weekday morning and he was there in shorts. He had been going to Mass on his way to work. lol.

I do think I can now distinguish Jehovah's witnesses from TFP types, though. Skirt discernment!!
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    I was taught in first grade (1955-56, in a Catholic school, of course) to bow my head when I say the name of Jesus. I have never stopped doing that. Sister taught us well!
  • I recall two women in the mid-sixties talking about wearing pants in church (women wearing pants????? - in church??????) whilst going to confession and really being afraid of what harsh penance they might receive for wearing pants - in church yet!

(I continue to think that women wearing pants is gauche at best.)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    on his way to work.
    I never fully grasped the value of a gimmick until I had a tight commute from church to a somewhat laid-back concert series. At the reception I overheard behind me "It's really too bad that you didn't get to hear our regular bass, who always wears Birkenstocks."
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    The question about coat racks reminds me of the old story about Chesterton's umbrella: that he used to leave it by the back door of whatever church he attended; but at the Catholic church he found that it left without him.

• Anna -

Perhaps viewing the 8.00 Vigil of Christmas mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham would make you feel more 'at home' and, perhaps, a little homesick.
    It may be viewed at olwcatholic.org by you and any others who might be interested.

Palmer-Burgess propers
    Anglican chant
    Anonymous renaissance Hodie at offertory
    Anonymous XXth century English ordinary (with Willan Gloria)
    Victoria O magnum at communion
    'Silent Night'
    Antioch
    We also have the Last Gospel throughout Christmastide to Presentation
  • SalieriSalieri
    I was thinking about central heating during the Christmas Vigil Mass: Catholic parishes, at least in New England, where I am, have been built and staffed by immigrants since the beginning: The Irish Catholics, though they won't admit it, are also immigrants, just like the French, Germans, and Poles. The result of this is a lack of money for "unnecessary" things like Central Heating: Why waste money on Central Heating when everyone has a coat, and they're also only going to be in church for 30 minutes (an hour-and-a-quarter if they oversleep and have to attend the High Mass). If no one takes their coats off, there's no need for a coat-rack.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Also, regarding GKC's Umbrella, this is typical of Catholic churches, I think: Many people come with Umbrellas, but rarely leave with the same one with which they arrived. This is also true of Children.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The parish in which I was born and baptised had an inadequate sized church when I was small. (A neighbour's land rights prevented expansion) So they kept the church doors open and many men stood in the forecourt. The theory was that you fulfilled your obligation if you could see someone who could see the altar through the open doors. So not much point in trying to heat the church, fortunately sub-freezing temperatures are rare in London (UK)
  • Strange how if I write a post and then think better of it before posting, there's no getting rid of it unless I write something useless and post it anyway. No way to cancel an unposted post? No way to delete it in the Edit mode?
  • CharlesW
    Go into edit, delete the text, then replace it with a period or some character and repost.

Reference Jackson's yellow square or infamous dot.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • a_f_hawkins
    ScottKChicago - If you decide before posting, then yes you can delete it. : return to the discussions page, you will see four headings including Draft. Click on that, move the cursor over the offending item and up to the top right of the box in which it displays. A little black X appears, and if you click on that your words vanish into the ether. If you have actually posted it, then it is as CharlesW says.
  • dad29
    Catholic aversion to singing is also baffling to me.

To quote a famous radio-mouth: "Phoney-baloney plastic banana good-time Charlie rock-n-roll".........while not perfectly accurate as to style of music, the rest is correct.

Who want to sing that?

'Rona has reduced congregational singing by at least 75% in the parish to which we belong, by the way. There are a couple of souls who apparently think that their salvation depends on singing, but most of us understand that's not dogmatic.
  • dad29
    I still bow when the cross passes, as taught me by my father's example. I also make the triple cross at the gospel, again as taught by my father's example.

Your Dad was right. While we're at it, what ever happened to genuflecting when doused with holy water during the Asperges in the OF? Did that get dropped?
  • Liam
    Making the cross thrice at the proclamation of the Gospel is not far removed from praying the Our Father in an orans posture...in the sense that both are congregational imitations of a gesture/posture prescribed for a minister.

There is no genuflection during the Asperges in the OF unless one wishes to do. Nor in EF according to this: https://www.canonsregular.com/index.php/body-postures-at-mass
    Thanked by 2WGS Jehan_Boutte
  • As a midwestern Lutheran (Missouri Synod) convert, I also thought the lack of coatracks was odd and couldn't help assuming that it enables a quick getaway after communion and before the end of the mass proper. Uncharitable I know. I had prepared myself (this was early 2000's ) for the mediocre singing and liturgical practices by reading Mr. Day's book. It was like an inoculation and it worked - I was immune from mortal disillusionment. All I can say, unless you are stuck in a smaller place with only one option - seek and ye shall find a parish that at least comes closer to what you are used to
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Thanks, toddevoss; as it happens, I want to speak up for the parish to which I belong, which has wonderful music and liturgy. I should have made that very clear in the opening post.
  • Maureen
    If you listen to old recorded Masses or Catholic songs from different parts of the US, you will hear "ay-men" as well as "ah-men," and it dates back from the early 20th century at least. I'm waiting for the day I find somebody saying "amm-en" or "emen" or "a-main," and I'm sure I will.

Re: singing in church and the Irish, of course there's the silent Masses outside at Mass rocks, for fear of getting arrested. But there was also a lot of discouraging by Irish priests of anyone singing the Irish devotional songs, because they were associated with keening and all-night wakes, and a lot of pastors didn't want that kind of stuff happening in America or the new legal-Catholic Ireland.

And yeah, keening included some dubious stuff, and wake-games and drinking were to be discouraged, and some of the devotional songs included extra-Biblical texts and odd beliefs about their applicability and blessings. But it kills me that we've lost so many Irish devotional songs, because the few we have are really nice.
  • Maureen
    Re: coatracks, I can't even picture that. I mean, where do you keep your tissues? What happens when the sermon gets long and you start getting cold? Don't you feel underdressed in the winter with no coat around you? Having a winter coat in church is snuggly and comforting.

I guess I've seen Protestant churches with coatracks, when I was going to vote there, but I thought they just had coatracks for the schoolkids or the nursery school. It didn't look like they had enough coatracks for a whole congregation, for sure. Maybe they had another coatroom tucked away somewhere?

It's the people not wearing coats who are going to get up and leave early, because they have some kind of job somewhere else in church, and that's where their coat is.
  • Coats have big pockets! I miss those! Now that I live in the tropics I carry one of those huge tote-purses to make up for the lack of pockets. I carry it on my shoulder or hold it on my lap throughout Mass. One doesn't leave ones purse on a pew or on the floor except at the smallest of neighborhood chapels where there is no flow of strangers wandering in from the street. Coatracks presume a familiar congregationand low crime.
  • Anna - another mass that might make you feel more 'at home', if not 'homesick'.
    The high mass this morning, on what would be Epiphany, at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham may be seen at olwcatholic.org. For you and any others who might be interested.

It may be noticed that there is not the usual complement of servers. Also, it would appear that the ones there this morning needed some 'breaking in' or shepherding by the acolyte master.

Organ voluntary - Improvisation
    Palmer-Burgess propers - including a Gregorian alleluya with its jubilus.
    Anglican chant psalm
    All three readings sung
    Harold Friedell anthem at offertory
    Clemens non Papa motet at cummunions
    Greensleeves at communion
    The Last Gospel
    Puer nobis nascitur at the dismissal
    Organ voluntary - Improvisation
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 CHGiffen
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @ M. Jackson Osborn

I watched the video you provided the link to, and while I'm a "EF" guy I do find the chanting very admirable.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn