Favorite Hymn for Christmas Season
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    There are a few other hymns/ carols that come to mind that St. Mary's choir would sing for our Christmas program. Adeste Fideles was always a favorite at Offertory. Here are few I remember:

In Old Judea - Adam Geibel/ Bruce Carleton
    O Babe Divine - Italian Carol/ Howard McKinney
    O Night of Holy Memory - Ira Wilson
    Sleeping the Christ Child Lay - James Hall
    The Christmas Song - Ira Wilson
    To Hear the Angels Sing - E. Lorenz
    The Prince of Peace - A.J. Weiss/ Wm. Ashmall
    Birthday of a King - W. Neidlinger/ E.C.C.
    Sleep My Jesus Sleep - Dutch Lullaby/ Clarence Dickinson
    Sweet Baby Sleep - 17th c. English Folk Song/ Robert Powell
    Adeste Fideles - Novello

When I listen to the CD (an old cassette tape that I converted) it brings back a flood of good memories.
  • Viola -
    'It Came Upon the Midnight Clear' is, of course, one of the de rigeuer carols for many, though it has never excited me very much. I do like the 'cloven skies' in stanza two and think that the text is rather good. But!, I would insist on Noel over Carol for a tune. The latter is one of those gushy, mawkish efforts which one expects to be accompanied by the passing around of a box of kleenex.

Ditto for Forest Green over St Louis for 'O Little Town of Bethlehem'.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • I decline Christmas carols that are unrealistic (e.g., I Saw Three Ships) so I'm not too sure about these lyrics, but the Catalan Carol of the Birds (El Cant dels Ocells) is beautiful to me. Maybe should be an instrumental: here's a version by a group of young people - not more than 26 yrs
    ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mDCYBjQW70

1. Upon this holy night,
    When God's great star appears,
    And floods the earth with brightness
    Birds' voices rise in song
    And warbling all night long
    Express their glad heart's lightness
    Birds' voices rise in song
    And warbling all night long
    Express their glad heart's lightness

2. The Nightingale is first
    To bring his song of cheer,
    And tell us of His glad - ness:
    Jesus, our Lord, is born
    To free us from all sin
    And banish ev'ry sadness!
    Jesus, our Lord is born
    To free us from all sin
    And banish ev'ry sadness!

3. The answ'ring Sparrow cries:
    "God comes to earth this day
    Amid the angels flying."
    Trilling in sweetest tones,
    The Finch his Lord now owns:
    "To Him be all thanksgiving."
    Trilling in sweetest tones,
    The Finch his Lord now owns:
    "To Him be all thanksgiving."

4. The Partridge adds his note:
    "To Bethlehem I'll fly,
    Where in the stall He's lying.
    There, near the manger blest,
    I'll build myself a nest,
    And sing my love undying.
    There, near the manger blest,
    I'll build myself a nest,
    And sing my love undying."
  • I'm glad, yet surprised, that no one has mentioned "O Holy Night" so far...

I actually begin my carol service every year with O Come, O Come Emmanuel. It was an idea that I got from Jerzy Cichocki at St Michael's Choir School, and it sets an interesting tone for the carol service. There are a few late-Advent selections, then we get into the meat and potatoes of Christmas.

"Of the Father's Heart" is one of my favourites. FOREST GREEN for O Little Town, of course, with the third verse unaccompanied.

My parish, which I interpreted as being a somewhat liberal parish when I arrived, has taken surprisingly well to the non-gender-neutral language in the hymns that I program. While using screens is not my first choice, it has given me the opportunity to use whatever hymns and tunes I want. You win some, you lose some. The parish has been quite a bit more orthodox in faith than I expected. We filled the church to capacity on All Souls, Immaculate Conception, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and the Sunday 9am Masses (which are usually nearly empty, although this is a by-product of the nearby regions being shut down and everyone flocking to us).

"The First Nowell" is actually quite a beautiful hymn, when done well. I use the Paul Halley arrangement, which has the typical Halley-esque descants on pretty much every refrain. And the doxology is one of the most sublime ever written - it sums up the hymn perfectly. Shame on those editors who have destroyed it in hymnals.

For Epiphany, there's "Lo, the Pilgrim Magi" with a tune, WHITWORTH, by Walter MacNutt, who was organist at a famous Anglican Church in Toronto - St. Thomas on Huron Street. PM if you want to see a copy of it.
  • I will second 'The First Noel' - its garbled and colourful English, syntax, and metre are half the fun of it, and don't prevent it from, in spite of itself, potently and engagingly expressing the Christmas message.
    I much prefer Willcocks's arrangement to any others

• Mme. -
    I like your Catalan carol. It's in a class, I think, with others that enlist all creatures (even flowers) in joyously proclaiming the birth of Jesus. I guess that if we can have 'cattle lowing' and such, we can have nightingales, sparrows, and partridges chirping their finest. This would make a charming addition to pre-mass music - maybe even part of a number of carols by the choir during communions.

(Somehow, though, I can't make your link work.)
  • Unpopular opinion: The First Nowell should be sung one-in-a-bar. If you look at the full score of the Halley that's actually in his tempo indication. It flows much nicer that way, although the danger is that it can get too fast.

Here's the Willcocks arrangement with the Halley descant on the last verse. The descant starts at 3:33.

And here is the Halley in full. It's worth a listen. You can hear the one-in-a-bar in the recording, giving it a beautiful flow.
  • MJO -
    El Cant dels Ocells was a folk song which gained new fame when played by Pablo Casals at a 1960s concert
    sorry about the link, does this one work? Casals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKoX01170l0
    or this - with soprano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBbu_lG0_Pk
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Are there any preferences or clear superiorities regarding Davis vs. Neale's translations of Corde natus ex parentis beyond Jackson's thoughts on the first line?
  • Casavant, I don't think that would be an unpopular opinion. However, I wouldn't go much faster than that of the full recording of the Halley arrangement. (It is an absolutely gorgeous one by the way. I love the alternate harmonies.)

I find that I prefer The First Noel for later in the Christmas season. I like to use it on Epiphany due to the reference to the Wise Men and their gifts. Does anyone else feel the same way about programming it?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    El Cant dels Ocells (Carol of the Birds) is available in an SAB vocal version at CPDL.

Also attached is a solo version (of the first verse).
  • I agree that one to a bar is the best interpretation of 'The First Nowell'. Although it does, as Nathan notes, feature the wise men, I prefer it as the recessional on Christmas itself. There is so much more to it than the anticipated entry of the wise men, and there is hardly a more glorious and overjoyous carol to cap off the Christ mass.
    'O Come...' is the obvious invitation to 'come' and enter in joyfully and truimphatly at the procession,
    and the more theologically developed 'Hark! The Herald...' is best at the offertory - assuming there is no choir anthem there.

An anecdote about Anglican chant - quite some time ago I read somewhere of a great continental composer (it might have been Mahler) who witnessed evensong at Westminster Abbey. As the choir were singing the psalter the visitor from the continent said to his host, 'why do they keep repeating bad tunes over and over?' I'm not sure that he was convinced by the obvious (to us) answer. Too bad he didn't appreciate good tunes - let alone the psalter.

Another favourite carol that hasn't been mentioned is 'Adam lay y-bounden', of which
    one of the more well known settings is the one by Boris Ord - not to mention Britten's in his 'Ceremony of Carols'.
  • Some of my favorites include but are not limited to:
    -Adeste Fideles
    -The Holly & The Ivey
    -Huron Carol/St. John de Brebeuf
    -Puer Natus in Bethlehem/Both Chant and Michael Praetorius versions.
    -Good King Wenceslas...probably not the most "Christmasy" but I include it.
    -Hodie Christus Natus Est/G.P. da Palestrina, for double choir.
    -O Regem Coeli/T.L. da Victoria
    -I Wonder as I Wander
    -Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming/M. Praetorius
    -What Child is This?
  • How could I have missed it? Of course, What Child is This? (!) Just the best.

And "Personent Hodie" with it's wonderful "Et de vir-, vir-, vir-, vir- ... vir-GINEO VENTRE PROCREATUS". You feel inclined to shout it even as you sing it.

I adore the Britten Ceremony of Carols.

And this rendition of Il est né le divin enfant - if you wait for the second refrain with descant, it's...quite something! The joyous descant singing really makes it take off. Oh to see Notre-Dame in full voice again. https://youtu.be/HvAhwvi39mo
  • CharlesW
    The Christmas season is so short, you may sing most carols once and then be on to something else. It's a once and done thing so whether or not one sings a particular carol doesn't have any lasting effects. No one will remember this time next month.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • This arrangement of "In Dulci Jubilo" gets me every.time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24EMr1DKNE
  • Charles -
    I must disagree.
    Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans sing a variety of carols throughout the twelve days of Christmas, some only once and a few more than once.
    Too, there must be many who sing, hum, or whistle Christmas carols at odd times through the year - I know that I do.

An interesting phenomenon is that people can remember and sing lustily a repertory of Christmas (and Easter) carols though they sing them once or twice a year - yet you give them a new hymn, even repeat it for a few times, and they squawk that they don't know it and can't sing it. Closed minds! Absolutely shut.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Liam
    It's not closed minds. It's hearts that have not been opened by the music and/or musicians. One can't charge into hearts and assume a welcome embrace. Even God sent the Archangel Gabriel to go hand-in-hand, as it were, to woo the BVM. Advent/Christmas music found a home in the hearts of many people, more than other types of religious music.
  • a_f_hawkins
    An interesting phenomenon ...
    Joy was the key in Percy Dearmer's opinion -
    ... people crowd our churches at the Christmas, Easter, and Harvest Festivals, largely because the hymns for those occasions are full of a sound hilarity; ...
    Rev Dr P Dearmer; preface to the Oxford book of Carols; 1928
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, we hear Christmas carols long before Christmas. I think the liturgical Christmas season is much too short.
  • Well, Mr Hawkins - who would quibble with Percy Dearmer!
    Incidentally, several years ago I acquired Augustine of Hippo's Confessions in a translation by Dearmer - in his own revival of Tudor English. It is quite lovely. I had not known of it until I found it, beautifully bound, quite by accident at a used bookseller's.

And, Charles, you are right about hearing carols long before Christmas... at least that used to be the case. Up until ten or so years ago all one heard when one was shopping was the likes of King's and a variety of renditions of true Christmas musical fare - and creches everywhere one looked.. Now, for the past number of years all one hears is 'Jingle Bells', 'I''m Dreaming of a White Christmas', 'Here Comes Santa Claus', and other such banal stuff - and not a creche in sight. In case one hadn't noticed, God and Jesus no longer have a place in the public's Christmas (oh, excuse me, 'Holiday'); in fact, it has become a faux pas even to mention them - and being 'merry' is definitely outre. Give someone a cheery 'merry Christmas' nowadays and one is likely to be shown a scowl and pursed lips.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • 'The Snow Lay on the Ground' is another lovely carol which one rarely hears, at least not in recent years. Paired with Venite Adoremus, it is found at no. 41 in The Hymnal 1940

Once when i was serving a Lutheran congregation I programmed this carol. The second stanza begins 'Twas Mary, daughter pure of holy Anne'. The pastor questioned me as to who 'holy Anne' was. I replied that she was Mary's mother. 'How do you know that', said he. 'Well, tradition has held that for two thousand years', said I. 'Well', said he, 'she's not in the Bible'. So, in order for us to sing this lovely carol, I rewrote that stanza, leaving no mention of holy Anne. There are times when sola scriptura leaves us impoverished - even robbed of much Truth.
  • Another good one to add to my list is "Gesu Bambino" by Pietro A. Yon...I havent heard that performed since I was like 10.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Let's hope we can be gracious when we're wished a Happy Hanukka. If someone scowls and purses their lips at the word "Christmas" though, my first impulse is to embrace them as a fellow church musician ;-)
  • Indeed, Richard -
    If I know of a holy day that occurs in someone else's religion I have no hesitation in happily wishing him a 'Happy Hanukka' or such, no matter what his or her religion might be - Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, or whatever. An Indian holy man once said that 'a wise man will respect what is holy to others' (are you listening, Charlie Hebdo???). I have found it enriching and joyful to do so. We certainly have more in common with them than with, increasingly, our own public spheres and States, in which God is presumed absent, if he exists at all - and if he does he is not welcome. The required absence of religious symbolism or speech in the public sphere is in itself symbolism that there is no God - a coup for the atheists.
  • Amen to the above. Lazily and grumpily purging any trace of religion from the public sphere in favour of some vague, ultimately vapid idea of "holiday seasons" is as far from true pluralism as one can get.
  • It's not closed minds. It's hearts that have not been opened by the music and/or musicians. One can't charge into hearts and assume a welcome embrace. Even God sent the Archangel Gabriel to go hand-in-hand, as it were, to woo the BVM.

God bless you, Liam. I am printing out your words for my desk so that I might remember them every day.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • And - a 'not a favourite'... 'The Little Drummer Boy' (Once in a lifetime is more than enought).

Another favourite - the Sussex carol
    and another - the Coventry carol
    Thanked by 2sdtalley3 tomjaw
  • MJO, the only good version of Little Drummer Boy is the Bing Crosby and David Bowie recording. Of course not for church, but I do enjoy listening to it.
  • Then there is a carol which originated with the Hurons.
    I've heard it a number of times and thought it quite charming.
    It would be well worth consideration - if I could remember where I encountered it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The "Huron Carol" (or "Twas in the Moon of Wintertime") is a Canadian Christmas hymn (Canada's oldest Christmas song), written probably in 1642 by Jean de Brébeuf, a Jesuit missionary at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons in Canada. The original words were written in the Huron Wyandot language (and can be found at Wikipedia). The usual English translation is:
    'Twas in the moon of winter-time
    When all the birds had fled,
    That mighty Gitchi Manitou
    Sent angel choirs instead;
    Before their light the stars grew dim,
    And wandering hunters heard the hymn:
    "Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
    In excelsis gloria."

Within a lodge of broken bark
    The tender Babe was found,
    A ragged robe of rabbit skin
    Enwrapp'd His beauty round;
    But as the hunter braves drew nigh,
    The angel song rang loud and high...
    In excelsis gloria."

The earliest moon of wintertime
    Is not so round and fair
    As was the ring of glory
    On the helpless infant there.
    The chiefs from far before him knelt
    With gifts of fox and beaver pelt.
    Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
    In excelsis gloria.

O children of the forest free,
    O sons of Manitou,
    The Holy Child of earth and heaven
    Is born today for you.
    Come kneel before the radiant Boy
    Who brings you beauty, peace and joy.
    In excelsis gloria."

Here is an astounding arrangement & performance of the "Huron Carol" by the Girl Choristers and Lay Clerks of the Ely Cathedral Choir.

width="1280" height="720">
  • You've refreshed my memory, Chuck.
    I just looked up some videos of the carol and they were awful - incredibly schmaltzy. What is it with some people who have to schmaltz up everything that comes their way?
    The original tune (originally that of a French folk song, according to Wikepoedia), is quite charming without what schmaltzists do to it.
    Unsurprisingly, the Ely performance, which you have put up here, treats it to a truly artful aesthetic
    Somewhere I have heard this in the Huron language, which is very beautiful to hear.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, MJO. It is marvelous to hear (&/or sing) the Huron Carol in the original Huron Wyandot language. The Ely choir's English rendition is really well done.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Here is another version of the Huron Carol, in Huron, French and English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6IG6F6E5Ac
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Every nationality's carols have quite a distinct character, the French being, to me, the most absolutely charming

This is self-evident, French are the best. ^^
  • Liam
    The English words normally used for The Huron Carol are best described as "inspired by the original text" rather than a translation or paraphrase. The same is roughly true of the English "O Holy Night" (which should never be used if the much finer French original can instead be sung).
  • A friend of mine, who is chair of music at St Thomas's Episcopal School here in Houston, has told me just today that he has taught an arrangement of the Huron carol by Healey Willan. Does anyone here know of this or have they taught it.
  • Liam
    If the information on Spotify for this 1999 track is accurate, this setting for the Huron Carol (English text) was arranged by Willan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIGeq1-UT0M
  • Liam
    Cantique de Noel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkDSNxA1Xw

Very sad about the piano, but nice to hear a forthright approach that is more appropriate to the boldly proclamatory nature of the French text (which is a text that is designed to rouse the sleepy, not lull them back to sleep - especially to rise up from their knees after kneeling...) than the pap of typical offerings of the English text.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Another one of my favorite hymns for this season is Father Faber's hymn for the feast of Our Lady's Expectation, Like the Dawning of the Morning. There are several melodies for this hymn, but I like Father John Selner's melody the best, which is attached.

• A beautiful hymn and melody!
    Not to be piccky, but I think that 'wert', which occurs in the first and second stanzas, should be 'wast'.
    This is really a beautiful hymn and quite a well made tune.
    It should be in more hymnals.
    Thanked by 1oldhymns
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    wert: archaic second person singular past of be.
    wast: archaic or dialect second person singular past of be.
    (Definitions from Oxford Languages)

Another instance of "wert":
    Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee,
    casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
    cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,
    which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Like the dawning of the morning" in its original form has eight stanzas. It's a beautiful text.

Like the dawning of the morning
    On the mountains’ golden heights,
    Like the breaking of the moon-beams
    On the gloom of cloudy nights;
    Like a secret told by Angels,
    Getting known upon the earth,
    Is the Mother’s Expectation
    Of Messiah’s speedy birth.
    Thou wert happy, Blessed Mother,
    With the very bliss of Heaven,
    Since the Angel’s salutation
    In thy raptured ear was given;
    Since the Ave of that midnight,
    When thou wert anointed Queen,
    Like a river over-flowing
    Hath the grace within thee been.
    On the mountains of Judea,
    Like the chariot of the Lord,
    Thou wert lifted in thy spirit
    By the uncreated Word;
    Gifts and graces flowed upon thee
    In a sweet celestial strife
    And the growing of thy Burden
    Was the lightening of thy life.
    And what wonders have been in thee
    All the day and all the night,
    While the angels fell before thee,
    To adore the Light of Light.
    While the glory of the Father
    Hath been in thee as a home,
    And the sceptre of creation
    Hath been wielded in thy womb.
    And the sweet strains of the Psalmist
    Were a joy beyond control,
    And the visions of the prophets
    Burnt like transports in thy soul;
    But the Burden that was growing,
    And was felt so tenderly,
    It was Heaven, it was Heaven,
    Come before its time to thee.
    Oh the feeling of thy Burden,
    It was touch and taste and sight;
    It was newer still and newer,
    All those nine months, day and night.
    Like a treasure unexhausted,
    Like a vision uconfess’d,
    Like a rapture unforgotten,
    It lay ever at they* breast.
    Every moment did that Burden
    Press upon thee with new grace;
    Happy Mother! Thou art longing
    To behold the Saviour’s Face!
    Oh his Human face and features
    Must be passing sweet to see
    Thou hast seen them, happy Mother!
    Ah then, show them now to me.
    Thou hast waited, Child of David,
    And thy waiting now is o’er;
    Thou hast seen Him, Blessed Mother,
    And wilt see Him evermore!
    O His Human Face and Features,
    They were passing sweet to see;
    Thou beholdest them this moment,
    Mother, show them now to me.

* "they" is probably a typo and should be "thy"
  • It's not a carol or a hymn exactly, but it is one of the most joyous exclamations of Christmas ever written -
    Sweelinck's Hodie Christus Natus Est.
    It has long been my favourite Christmastide motet.
  • In the bleak midwinter -- although I'm not sure if I prefer Darke or Holst.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I once had the pleasure of singing the Sweelinck Hodie. Thanks for the reminder. :-)
  • Hodie Christus Natus Est by J.P. Sweelinck is a very lively song indeed. I‘ve sang it for two Christmases in s row, but I doubt our choir will be able to do it again this year.
  • I've never heard Sweelinck's Hoodie Christus Natus Est before. I had to go look up a recording. Thank you for sharing it as it is a wonderful piece of music. It isn't technically a hymn or carol, but I think it would quality for the purpose of this thread.
  • O Jesulein Suss
  • Not exactly a Christmas hymn, but a favorite of mine: Virga Iesse floruit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsapS7Qu2Ik