Practice organ by Dexibel?
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'm looking for a practice organ or keyboard. I've heard good things of the Rolland Classic series, but they are expensive and hard to find. I don't have the budget or space for a tricked out Hauptwerk setup or an old Allen. Since nothing can truly replicate a pipe organ, I'm thinking something portable. Just a single keyboard to workout fingerings etc. when I can't get to church, or during the next lockdown. In my research I came across this Dexibel classico portable digital organ. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but wanted to see if anyone here has one or has played it. I'm mostly interested in a good quality keyboard action that feels like a tracker pipe organ and not a piano hammer or those waterfall Hammond keys.

Any other suggestions?
  • GambaGamba
    The Dexibel has really lousy keyboard action, with plastic keys perched on collapsible rubber domes, like your TV remote. I believe the keyboards are by Fatar; same as in an average Johannus or any other cheap European junkbox. You could have the same experience with a $99 special from Walmart.

If you can afford one of the Dexibels, you could afford an old Allen – check SearchTempest to see Craigslist ads nationwide, watch eBay, or go to the group "Electronic Organ Garage Sale" on Facebook. Ten years ago, I picked up two Allens online, one from 1973 and one from 1985, both in perfect working order, two manuals and AGO pedal. One was $500 and one was free.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That's too bad. I have never heard of them before, and was hoping something new and worthwhile was actually available. It was over my budget anyway, but thought if it was really worth it, I might make the plunge. I've been watching for an old Allen, but nothing has come up. And anyway, I would need to locate the Allen at the church, which would still be useful for when the church is not available for practice, but I'm really looking for something portable to keep at home. In terms of keyboard quality, who makes the best keyboard? Or which should I absolutely avoid. Yamaha is the most ubiquitous and affordable, but I've never been impressed with the quality. Rolland costs more, but again I haven't found one that I really like.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I should point out that I am replacing a 30 year old synth/workstation which I use as my midi controller when doing Finale work. So, this isn't meant to replace a practice organ, but while I could get a cheap midi controller, I was hoping for something with decent key action to practice from home when I can't get to church.
  • ServiamScores
    I was very curious about them and a few months back I made a 90 minute trip to Sweetwater to test one out. I was VERY disappointed. They are the only keyboards I know of with pistons and are focused on organ sounds, but, I poked at it for only 2-3 minutes and immediately decided that my portable keyboard + laptop with Hauptwerk was MUCH more fulfilling, even if it is a royal pain to set up and collapse. I truly wouldn't waste the money. Besides the action, if your pallet for organ tone is even remotely refined, I doubt you'll be happy with the sound either.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey