Question about alignment in Gregorio
  • GeorgeB
    Hello! I am starting to learn to use Gregorio, and I have just created my first score 'flying solo' (i.e. not as part of a tutorial). I have attached the corresponding files. The result is not bad, but for some reason the asterisk is not aligning under the quarter bar. I tried to fix this by adding space both before and after the asterisk, but it still didn't seem to get it under the quarter bar until there was way too much space.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?
  • madorganist
    It's a glitch in the processor, not an error on your part. Changing the code to (,) * da(ff) might produce a partial work-around. Perhaps download and compare the code from https://gregobase.selapa.net/chant.php?id=1470. I'm not sure if this engraver is the one you used, but I get the same alignment error with the code from GregoBase as with yours and my own. I also get an error sometimes with a horizontal episema breaking unnecessarily/inappropriately over a pressus. I haven't figured out how to fix that one either. Let's hope someone here knows the solution for the asterisk alignment problem.
    Thanked by 1GeorgeB
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    (,)*
    produces a much better result (with the presumed engraver program).
    Thanked by 1GeorgeB
  • GeorgeB
    Thank you, folks! By putting the comma before the asterisk, I could then add some slashes immediately after the comma to force the asterisk under the quarter bar. (Oddly enough, the swap of position alone left it in almost the same place.)
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You might also try adding:

centering-scheme: Latin;

to the anotations.

• chonakchonak
    The Gregorio developers changed the spacing formulas related to bar-markings a few years ago.

But the old spacing rules are still available for people who run their own Gregorio installation (not yet on the web interface). To get the old rules, include this line:
    \gresetbarspacing{old}

in the LaTeX document file (not in the GABC file).

Thanked by 2CHGiffen GeorgeB