No More Organized Singing?
  • mmeladirectress
    This is a most sorrowful thread, one that touches each of us most deeply.

Why art thou sad, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me?
    Hope in God! For I shall again be praising Him,
    my Savior and my God.

• a_f_hawkins
    Just to simplify :-
    1. Suppose some are vulnerable, and some are not.
    2. Suppose half the vulnerable 'shelter in place'
    Then if 66% of cases have been 'sheltering in place' it would prove that they were TWICE as likely to catch it as those who did not bother.
    My point is that without knowing something about 1 & 2 the observation of 66% proves absolutely nothing.
    [ADDED] an anaology: suppose 66% of vocations to the priesthood come from parishes where they sing OEW more than once a year. That proves nothing. Now suppose we also know that that 90% of parishes sing OEW more than once a year - then we can say that parishes which do not sing OEW produce between 4 and 5 times as many vocations.
  • tomjaw
    but allowing travel to food stores and drug stores does seem to have been inadequate. That isn't a really stringent quarantine policy.

I can understand a quarantine of a village or town 100 plus years ago. This could stop the transmission of a pathogen, no one in no one out, and a supply of food for the 40 days. In our society this does not work, we have to go out to shops, we have to go to doctors, drug stores, we have deliveries. All these methods can spread pathogens. Someone pointed out that Amazon could send you Covid within a day or two on their cardboard!

I think the problem with Covid is it is harmless to far too many people, if 50%-80% of people that do not show symptoms, all it needs is for one delivery driver or one person in a logistics centre to have the Virus and it will spread. I will submit as my evidence the log graphs of positive results or deaths per population for each country look remarkably similar.
    Thanked by 2Elmar a_f_hawkins
  • Elmar
    tomjaw,
    I can understand a quarantine of a village or town 100 plus years ago. This could stop the transmission of a pathogen, no one in no one out, and a supply of food for the 40 days. In our society this does not work
    Right, we are not China, where exactly this appears to have been done.
    We can be in the choir loft, what is very handy for us is two of our cantors, are lodging with my parents. So we have a choir of 5 adults and 3 children.
    This might be the first step into the 'new normal': organize your choirs in smaal groups that meet anyways. My family could start with the abundant SSST choral music...

The point is that we are still required not to come together in groups exceeding two from different housholds, for whatever ("non-essential") purpose.
    I'm still wondering how our cathedral choir has managed to sing in constantly changing quartets (nicely spaced of course) in all masses since Palm Sunday. I cannot believe that they produce this superb music program without real-life rehearsals.
    They are a boarding school, so they could organize themselves into 'households' of two males and two females each - quite revolutionary indeed, but not impossible with some creativity - and then rehearse happily 'at home'. But obviously this isn't what's happening...
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CatherineS
    We were going above and beyond mandated and suggested 'stay home' and 'social distancing' practices, everything from leaving shoes outside the door to washing every grocery item that came in the house, etc. but my husband got sick anyway.

I think it's very difficult to prevent the spread of an illness in general, and moreso one that shows no symptoms in many people or is contagious before symptoms show.

Even in 'normal' times even people with symptoms of illness constantly go out in public and interact. I have sat in church right in front of someone sneezing and coughing the whole time. I have gone to churches to pray when not feeling well. Any of us in choirs I've been in, secular or sacred, would often sit in rehearsal with a pile of kleenex and thermos of tea, so as not to be scolded for missing practice. People I know often say they just have an allergy, when they really probably have a cold, so as not to be excluded from work or activities. When I worked in NYC it was not at all okay to miss work for being sick. It was considered lazy. I think that factor of recent experience being so different does make it particularly hard for people to adapt to the idea of a very strict quarantine.

And clearly even decent efforts are quite failure-prone.
    Thanked by 2Elmar tomjaw
  • Liam
    "I have sat in church right in front of someone sneezing and coughing the whole time. I have gone to churches to pray when not feeling well. Any of us in choirs I've been in, secular or sacred, would often sit in rehearsal with a pile of kleenex and thermos of tea, so as not to be scolded for missing practice. People I know often say they just have an allergy, when they really probably have a cold, so as not to be excluded from work or activities. When I worked in NYC it was not at all okay to miss work for being sick. It was considered lazy."

And a lot of that is neither wisdom nor prudence.
    Thanked by 2Elmar CHGiffen
  • CatherineS
    I might add, just because I find this very true during this period of isolation: the world I perceive when my sources of information are only read/heard, versus the world I encounter when I go out of the house and interact with real people, are very different. Even if the local parish just does praise music, or the director of the choir is a a donkey's rump, or the neighbor says something snide, those encounters make up perhaps 2% of my day, and even those people have good qualities as well, and are largely only irritating due to the same sorts of faults and foibles that any of us have.

But when I only encounter people via the media, social media, etc., that 2% seems to become 80%, because none of the ordinary banal parts of life get included - just the outrageous and offensive and horrible. It is, in that sense, a river of lies or distortions, even when true.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Close the borders, test, trace and quarantine seems to have been quite effective in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan ... . Shelter in place was never intended to do more than slow the spread, in the UK it was announced as such; thus on 12th March - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-are-the-four-stages-of-the-uks-response-plan-11950264 .
  • dad29
    True; and the quarantine is mis-applied to healthy people, rather than diseased ones. First time in medical history that's been reversed.
  • Liam
    Depends on what you mean by healthy and diseased: asymptomatic and ambiguously symptomatic carriers of virus are not "healthy". Viz. Mary Mallon, for but one notorious example.
    Thanked by 2Elmar CHGiffen
  • Elmar
    Close the borders, test, trace and quarantine seems to have been quite effective in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan
    And more so, more they are isolated naturally. New Zealand seems to have won the battle this way, they just need to live a comfortable self-sustained life until everyone is vaccinated.

And we were just stupid enough to go along with president "Mr. Gorbatchev, tear down this wall" instead of waiting for that other one "Build that wall! Build that wall!" It's your fault, dear American friends, that people in West Berlin are dying now!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @Liam

If we stopped going out when we had cold symptoms, society would have to close down for the winter. Well at least in cold damp England! Anyway we seem to have coped living in the cold and damp for thousands of years, so we can't have been doing to much wrong.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • francis
    Explore this for a second, and see how many heads start to spin:

1) Active participation is the goal to be considered at all times as the essential.
    2) Singing is discouraged.
    3) Holding hands is discouraged.
    4) Choirs are discouraged, but cantors are encouraged.
    5) Extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion.....?
    6) Hospitality ministers should greet each person, so as to make him feel welcome.
    7) Social distance must be observed.
    ROTFL... sounds like we are going back to the TLM...
    8) Priest should turn around so as not to breathe on the servers and the congregation.
    9) No longer receive from the cup
    10) Sign of Peace, no touching!
    11) Discontinuation of contemporary music groups, microphones, etc. (I imagine microphones could be a harbinger of holding and spreading germs?)
    12) Put lysol in the pipe bellows for slow dispersement through the church
    Thanked by 3tomjaw WGS Chrism
  • Chrism
    13) Italian Organ Masses
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Schönbergian
    Will lower wind pressure be mandated to prevent any unnecessary movement of air?
    Edit: Forgot this wasn't the COVID humour thread.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw francis
  • Blaise
    I do not belong to either ACDA or NATS so I do not know what the content of this webinar is. However, I will make a few general comments.

The one person I know on these forums who is even remotely qualified on this particular subject here on these forums (third or fourth year medical student, or even possible a resident physician now, and a CUA trained organist) is not adding anything to this thread, so I will simply keep my mouth closed. However, as a general remark and not directed at anyone, make sure you check the credentials of your sources and just as important, where their funding, if any, is from (that is, look for any conflict of interest - I do not trust anything from from or funded by the Chinese Communist Party).

Thank you.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    The big topic in the library world at the moment concerns disinfecting returned books. In my library, it would be more a case of disinfecting returned technical monographs and engineering data.

I live in East Tennessee, the allergy capitol of the world. I should buy stock in the company that makes Claritin. With my choir, the allergies are real and believable. I encourage choir members who are sick to stay home and stress that no one is indispensable.

Somehow, I think we will all survive this, although it may not be fun. Has the thought occurred that some folks, having been away from liturgy for a couple of months, may not feel any compulsion to come back. We have those who were only marginally enthusiastic about mass in the first place.
    Thanked by 3Blaise CHGiffen CCooze
  • tomjaw
    two-munich-scientists

Wonderful news, but I have guests round for dinner and then we will sing Compline. So won't be able to do a literature search for other scientists whose research claims to show the opposite.

I am still looking forward to research being made into if we see increased rates of respiratory illness in choirs.

Of course 'safe' has all sorts of meanings, N.B. what is 'safe' in your kitchen is not considered 'safe' in a school laboratory.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • mmeladirectress
    Nobody said this article is sounding an all-clear. It's a data point, if you will. Whether or not it's followed by more will be seen. I heard someone (not here) say, I am fed up with hearing "there is so much about this virus that we don't know" - but I think that's true.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • jcr
    No organized singing? Well, back to business as usual!
  • madorganist
    This is encouraging:
    https://slippedisc.com/2020/05/two-munich-scientists-pronounce-singing-to-be-covid-safe
    Both of the researchers are professors of fluid dynamics at the Military University in Munich (Universität der Bundeswehr München), one of them head of the Institute of Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Carl DCarl D
    Here's a serious question: Is it possible to construct a screen in front of the choir which is made out of N95-mask-type material, but acoustically transparent?
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not sure what the benefit of it would be. If the choir's not a danger to each other, then they can't be a danger to the listeners.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CCooze
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The point of maintaining social distance is the possibility of being infected by someone carrying the COVID-19 virus who has not yet manifested the symptoms or may indeed be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus, which could infect someone else via close contact.

People worry about why the fuss over the corona virus, arguing that the flu is just as lethal, if not more so. It turns out that, deaths from flu over a six month seasonal period are fewer than the deaths from the corona virus over the past three months.

It is very distressing, especially to us who are church musicians, that churches have had to shutter their buildings and cancel or hold services without congregation - and that choirs are considered not viable because of the epidemic. I have been greatly saddened by these losses.
  • That screen proposed above was certainly a well-intended offering. It reminds me, though, of the days when organ pipes were hidden behind a gauze-like fabric (and sometimes one not so gauze-like!) because they were thought to be un-aesthetic. As the early music movement began to exert its influence many organists triumphantly (triumphantly!) ripped these screen down so that they would no longer interfere with the egress of sound from the pipes. Screens of this sort, no matter how well intentioned, inevitably distort whatever music comes from behind them. Plus, Chuck's observation concerning the Wuhan virus is cogent.

My own feeling is that choirs are usually in a choir area in front of the church, or out of the way in a choir gallery. Both are quite away from the people and would pose little or no danger to anyone but themselves
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Elmar
  • CatherineS
    One can sing wearing a mask. I do my daily workouts wearing a mask, which isn't much fun as it diminishes the air intake, but I figure it builds lung capacity, kind of like exercising at high altitudes. It is said to be somewhat useless, though, as once the mask is drenched with moisture from speaking, singing or breathing hard then it no longer serves its protective function. But it might be better than nothing, or at least give a psychological comfort.
  • CatherineS
    I find choirs up front really distracting, by the way. I generally spend the whole Mass watching the conductor and singers. You'd be amazed how fascinating people are with their quirky gestures and expressions. At least masks hide a lot of facial expression. Those needing to be extra expressive will have to use theatrical arm gestures instead.
  • Liam
    "One can sing wearing a mask."

Just because one can doesn't mean it's worth doing, though. It also wouldn't be as feasible for folks who have to wear glasses to read music/texts.
    Thanked by 2CatherineS Elmar
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    We all just need to learn sign language and sign the parts!
    Thanked by 1Drake
  • Schönbergian
    You joke, but I know of one church considering augmenting their music program with professional signers to make it more "inclusive" to deaf people.
  • Wouldn't masks muffle our already American diction?
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • At some point that I can't precisely identify, the mainstream narrative has changed from "flatten the curve" to "we can wait for a vaccine!". The first had sense to it. The second is just not viable (both due to the hypothetical nature of an imagined successful vaccine, and the time frame associated with its possible arrival). The costs we have already incurred in this country are steep, but nothing compared to what continued lockdown for 18-24 months would result in. And all this pales in comparison with the developing world - where a combination of famine and hundreds of billions of dollars of lost remittance dollars (money sent from workers in the first world home to their families for survival) could endanger not hundreds of thousands but hundreds of millions of people. To say nothing of war and revolution and refugee crises that problems on this scale so often cause. In case you think I'm making this up, just a quick couple of examples:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/25/world/americas/virus-migrants-mexico-remittances.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52373888

Of all the dangerous notions circulating right now, "we can wait for a vaccine" is probably the most deadly. If we do indeed try that, choir will be the least of humanity's problems. However, due to all the above I do not expect this to actually play out in reality. And on the pragmatic side, the gradual reopening and mingling of society over the summer will render such dramatic possibilities irrelevant anyway. Once a decent proportion of society is out and about getting haircuts, eating at restaurants, going to Mass, etc., it just won't make sense to think that cancelling choirs can somehow single-handedly stop the virus. Or from another perspective, if choir members are free to engage in heightened risk in their shopping and eating and other activities, they will also feel free to make their own decisions about the risk of choir. We have about 4 months of easing back into life, checking statistics and research, and getting used to all this before choirs would start again anyway. No need to mourn the end of choral music yet.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I have not yet heard "we can wait for a vaccine", so I don't know what it is supposed to mean. The UK medical planners were clear that they are seeking 'herd immunity', as is Sweden. That is they are expecting 80% of the population to catch it, and they think that will double the death rate for the year. 'Flatten the curve' for them, and for us in the Isle of Man, meant stretch it out so that the health system can cope.
    As our data shows, we have been unexpectedly successful, which leads the population, and politicians, to expect that the death rate will stay relatively low. Our medics were expecting 10 to 20 times as many cases as we have had so far, and our figures are similar to the US.† We have of course NO IDEA of the true incidence of the disease, and NO IDEA whether having it once grants any immunity, and NO IDEA whether a vaccine will work, and as we do not know the true incidence NO IDEA of the fatality rate. OTOH 75% of our deaths were in care homes, and it is feasible to shield them until a vaccine becomes available.
    † reported incidence 0.4%, attributed deaths 0.03%, so far
    818 x 431 - 71K
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • This is the kind of thing that's cropping up (to say nothing of the ACDA/NATS approach being based on waiting for a vaccine):

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/6/21241058/coronavirus-mitigation-suppression-flatten-the-curve
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins CCooze
  • a_f_hawkins
    Back to choirs! What is the age profile of your choirs, that is surely a key question. I don't see that Westminster Cathedral or KIng's College should have much cause for concern. As I am 81 I can imagine people being solicitous, and turning me away.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • CharlesW
    A number of my 50-year choir veterans are in their eighties, so I am concerned. I am 72 myself. Our youngest person is mid-thirties or so. We are not a young group but I suspect that is the case for many parish choirs.

a_f_hawkins, you can't be 81. You write like a much younger person. LOL.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Elmar
  • SalieriSalieri
    As far as policy goes in the US, beware. From some comments I've seen on a post Frank LaRocca linked to on Facebook, it seems that some State and other authorities are basing policies for choirs and ensembles on that ACDA discussion. I know that the Community College that I work for as choral accompanist decided to cancel all ensembles for the Fall 2020 semester a week ago. It seems also that the NE conservatory will not be holding concerts until June of TWO THOUSAND TWENTY ONE.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Re: Jared's shared link example of the insanity ensuing, and "beating the virus into submission (really??)... good grief. Apparently, people don't understand how curves work, and that it isn't that a flattened curve reduces the number below it, but simply prevents the max being hit all at once. Of course, the good thing about that max getting hit far sooner, is that it then drops, significantly.

As those 2 urgent care docs said... you can't keep trying to protect "everyone," just those who will be hit the worst by it.
    But substance and physical abuse, mental health, suicides (which Pres. Trump did point out yesterday, in the press conference I watched yesterday), etc. numbers are still rising, and that collateral damage is a very bad thing. People who otherwise might have gotten a "bad cold" and gone on with their lives are now dead.
    Even some youth.
    I watched a man's video about how his child hung himself, and he thinks the kid just didn't have the outlet he needed, because the world has become so incredibly small to some people that losing a single part of it (like their video game access) drives them into despair. I sobbed.
    I hate talking to my kids about "hard subjects" like child suicide, but it was just too important to not sit down and discuss as something that is actually happening, and why it's both bad and wrong, and what we can do to not let our emotions get the better of us (which is really hard, because this Toronto's effects have caused so much unnecessary anxiety and stress).

It's heartbreaking, and it's continuing to be pushed further and further by people who are willfully ignorant at (a very gracious and lenient) best and malicious and sick at worst. Until they stop giving Bill Gates so much of the limelight, I'm stuck seeing it as being the latter convincing the former... enough so, that it's infecting the way parishoners view eachother.

"Life will never be 'normal' again," is a thought they've been pushing on people from the beginning. So many are so willing to accept whatever "new norms" are offered, so long as it isn't something deemed "selfish."
  • jcr
    I have been informed by my son who is finishing a PA program that regardless of the precautions taken, everyone will be exposed to the covid-19 virus and that there is no getting around the fact that they will develop some antibodies to it. Some will get sick, some won't, some will, doubtless have a fatal result. The idea that we can stop the virus is like saying the same thing about the flu. This will come back in mutated form, like the flu, and we may have no more success than we have with the flu, for which we have no vaccine either. We have many vaccines and they can be effective if we guess correctly about which strain will come our way this next time. This is a serious thing, of course, but the damage that could be done to us and ours is really exacerbated by extending the defensive measures too long. I'm convinced that the extension of these measures has more political and financial motivation than actual medical purposes. I think that the conflating data from flu, pneumonia, heart ailments,etc. has prevented us from having clear information to analyze. Bad data equals bad science. Take it seriously? Of course. Submit to being a victim of a "useful crisis". Not a good idea!
    Thanked by 2dad29 CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Ugh. I hate when conspiracy theories start to play out.
    Emphasis is obviously mine:

H.R.6666: "To authorize...entities to conduct diagnostic testing for COVID–19, and related activities such as contact tracing, through mobile health units and, as necessary, at individuals’ residences, and for other purposes."

(Here's a Representative contact form: https://tinyurl.com/yd8gqea9 )
  • chonakchonak

Ugh. I hate when conspiracy theories start to play out.
    Emphasis is obviously mine:
    H.R.6666: "To authorize...entities to conduct diagnostic testing for COVID–19, and related activities such as contact tracing, through mobile health units and, as necessary, at individuals’ residences, and for other purposes."

(Here's a Representative contact form: https://tinyurl.com/yd8gqea9 )

Oh, pshaw, CCooze, this is so confused.

I really do think you don't fully understand what you've quoted above, based on the way you present it.

In particular, you've emphasized "and for other purposes" as though it deserved special attention. It's in italics, bold, and underlined. That tells me you don't understand what you're looking at, because it's a really innocuous phrase.

The line you've quoted is a summary header describing the purpose of the legislation. It's just a summary. It's not the actual legal substance of the bill. The full text of the bill -- at the link you've given -- shows what those "other purposes" are.

The bill has provisions about things that weren't mentioned in the summary header: about reaching underserved populations, about hiring local residents as workers, about supporting testing and tracing in both urban and rural environments.

Once you see that, it's not so vague, and it's not particularly sinister.

I have my doubts about whether the government should give $100 billion to various organizations to conduct testing and contact tracing. It may be a waste, but it's not something to treat as sinister and menacing. And don't treat it as something oh-so-spooky just because the bill number has a bunch of sixes in it.
    Thanked by 2GerardH a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    I am more interested in keeping my folks - and myself, too - safe than whether or not we sing as a choir. For the time being, that is. Maybe June will bring some new results and we can move toward normalcy, whatever that is. I don't think we were ever that normal to begin with.

I'm not stir crazy. It is nice having those extroverts in seclusion where they can't bug the rest of us. Things are much more peaceful. My choir isn't practicing but they will easily pick up where we left off when rehearsals do resume. This virus is serious but let's not make it worse by rushing things. We'll get there eventually.
    Thanked by 2bhcordova Elmar
  • CatherineS
    It is nice having those extroverts in seclusion where they can't bug the rest of us.

Yes!!
    Thanked by 2bhcordova Elmar
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The whole idea of flattening the curve is to minimize the number of deaths from the virus by not overloading the healthcare system, not to prevent people from getting the virus. No healthcare official said that shelter-in-place, social distancing and wearing masks would stop the virus. Those thinking otherwise are either misinformed or intentionally dense.
  • Those thinking otherwise are either misinformed or intentionally dense.

or tinpot dictators who think the rest of us are either dense or not paying attention....
  • a_f_hawkins
    Those thinking saying otherwise are either misinformed or intentionally dense politicians lying to us.
  • @bhcordova - Exactly, that has been my understanding of the official message from the beginning. So do you think the recent shift to trying to 'beat' or 'suppress' the virus completely is merely popular opinion, and not an official policy? That's what I can't figure out. At any rate, NATS/ACDA are waiting for a vaccine or 95% effective cure (whatever that means).

Or is the idea that the economy will restart step by step, but non-essential things like choirs and churches will need to wait for a vaccine? The Iowa bishops, for example, recently mentioned the absence of a vaccine as one factor prompting them to continue suspension of public Masses.

Follow up question 1: If the "economy" of businesses, restaurants, malls, etc., is reopening and will be open for 3-4 months before choir would start, do we believe that choirs in the fall would still be a critical disease vector at that point?

Follow up question 2: How effective does the vaccine need to be before moral qualms about choir are assuaged? E.g. if it is roughly as effective and as widely used as the flu vaccine, is that good enough? If next year coronavirus is 'only' as deadly as the typical flu due to vaccinations, do we move on with life? Tens of thousands will still die.

(these are for anyone - I'm not jumping on bhcordova!)

The vaccine mentality seems pretty morally simplistic and naive to me. I guess the idea is that once one exists (regardless of how effective it is?), we no longer have to think about the fact that people will still die due to diseases that spread during our religious services and group activities. I'm not dismissing the idea of the vaccine, just the idea that it solves the moral problem we've set for ourselves recently.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Drake
    We all just need to learn sign language and sign the parts!

I think you have something there, @bhcordova. Perhaps we can convince the powers that be that the director signing is the principal communication. The choir singing is just to be fair to those who don't understand the director, which might even include the choir.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • mmeladirectress
    >> Or is the idea that the economy will restart step by step, but non-essential things like choirs and churches will need to wait for a vaccine?
    Maybe there never will be a vaccine?! Or even if there is one in time, it's important to know that there are other avenues being pursued. God willing, maybe doom and gloom is not the only alternative to vaccine...

https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/drug-development/emerging-antiviral-takes-aim-COVID-19/98/web/2020/05