Missa super Re Mi Fa Sol Mi Ut Re
  • SalieriSalieri
    Those of you who play/listen to Jazz will probably be familiar with The Lick (see below).

Since the whole world is shut-down for COVID-19, I have a lot of time on my hands, so some composition (or decomposition, perhaps) has taken place. Here is the Kyrie of a Mass for SATTB choir: Missa super Re Mi Fa Sol Mi Ut Re---that is, The Lick, which first appears at m. 8 in the first Tenor part.

• I enjoyed listening to this and examining the score. Isn't it nice to have extra time for such creativity? :)
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • GerardH
    I haven't even listened or seen the score yet because I'm on mobile, but I sang through the solfege in the title and burst out laughing. Bravo! This is what the internet was made for
  • Same here, GerardH... didn’t need to look or listen to get a good laugh, just sang the title!

Now I’ll actually give it a look.
  • I don't know the Jazz repertoire well enough to know The Lick.

I shall try to listen to your mp3 and read the score more carefully in the next few days.

It's not so outre, is it?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The origins and the first recording of the lick are not very clear. It is heard in Stravinsky's Firebird from 1910, but probably dates before that.
  • ryandryand
    For those who have not heard The Lick:

https://youtu.be/krDxhnaKD7Q
  • CatherineS
    @ryand - now I'll never unhear it.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    This is so brilliant.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    And I was not as clever as the other readers. I kept trying to think of the title in terms of hexachords and mutation. But, of course, nonesuch. Heh. "super", not "in," though.
  • SalieriSalieri
    @ryand: There's also Adam Neely's recording of himself playing The Lick for 5 hours.

Here's an updated score & mp3, with Kyrie and Gloria (just completed). This theme is fun to play around with: Among other things, the opening theme of the "Et in terra" is the inversion, and the "Cum sancto" has a three-part canon at the fifth between S.A.T1., followed by a two-part canon of the inversion of the theme at the fourth between S & A.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Here is the complete Mass (no Credo)--PDF and MP3 attached. Scoring is generally a5 with some reductions of texture. Some movements use the theme as a "Motto", others are in a stricter Cantus Firmus style.

Agnus Dei II, a7, was particularly tricky to write within the parameters that I set for myself: A strict three part canon at the fifth, over the Cantus Firmus in long notes (appearing Recto ["Agnus Dei"], Inverso ["Qui tollis peccata mundi"] and Reverso ["Dona nobis pacem"]), with three additional independent voices.

This was written just for fun, to work on my counterpoint, and to pass the time during the long days of the COVID Quarantine, I don't know if everyone would consider it appropriate of Liturgical use or not--I suppose it falls into the realm of the L'Homme Arme Masses.

NB: I don't know if in the MP3 the pauses between movements were retained, so best to listen while following the score so that it's easier to tell when, say the Kyrie ends and the Gloria begins.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    And, just for the sake of completeness, here's a setting the Et incarnatus est, intended for Credo I (mode IV). It is a Prolation Canon for 3 voices (ATB). [Edit: revised score/mp3 with ficta.]
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri