Dudes of the Forum - who wants to sing a virtual round with me?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    We've got a lot of free time - why not?

The 'round' (or canon) in question: Robert Wylkynson's setting of the Apostles' Creed/Jesus Autem Transiens.

I need twelve other guys. And someone who knows how to 'edit' all of us together ( that doesn't necessarily need to be a dude). Who's in?
  • Schönbergian
    Have precious little knowledge on editing, but I'm available to join.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • francis
    I have the technology for audio production, unlimited tracks. Are we singing with a tempo track (usually called a click track)?
  • I'm in!
    Bumping this. We're a quarter of the way there, gents. We'll be using Adrian Wall's edition from CPDL.

Francis, could you be our official "sound engineer" for this? If so, DM me.
  • francis
    sure... it would be fun... how much does it pay? (lol - jk)

A click track works for pop music, but a conductor track is truly the only way to go for rubato and dynamics.
  • This sounds fun. I may be interested, and may know a couple dudes who would be interested in doing this who aren't on the forum.
    AndrewSteiner - DM me the contact info for your friends. We'd love to have them.

This goes for everyone else - you know guys willing to get in on this, let's make it happen!
  • RCS333
    I’d love to! if you are ok with someone who is very much an organist first and only a singer very distant second :)
    Not counting the non-forum members we are inviting in, we are almost halfway there!

StimsonInRehab
    Schönbergian
    francis
    Casavant Organist
    AndrewSteinerPiano
    RCS333

I know we got some more gentlemen out in Forum Land who would be great additions! . . . Incardination? Nihil? Mark? Chonak the Magnificent? Ehhh???
  • chonakchonak
    I have no idea what the piece is, and I don't like rounds, but I trust your judgment :-)
    Bass I.
  • Stimson,

Sounds fun.. Can you send me the piece and the tech requirements at this end? My son's home from college (forced sabbatical), so that's possibly two males for you.

I've attached the music below - as well as a recording from Youtube.

Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's the Adian Wall edition (from CPDL), which is a downward transposition by a whole step from the original (David Fraser's edition at CPDL is in the original key).

Sound File of the Fraser edition (at original pitch, hence a whole step higher than the attached score).

Added: I didn't see Stimson's post before I posted this (I hadn't refreshed the page).
  • canadashcanadash
    Let me know if you need more. I can ask my son.
  • francis
    @StimsonInRehab

Is there a technical description of how people are going to sing this so that everyone is singing the exact same tempo?
  • TCJ
    I'm not experienced in recording stuff, but could one person record the track, send it to the next and that person sings over it in another layer?
  • francis
    TCJ

If each person had that technology and the know how I suppose.
  • TCJ
    I have used Audacity to record a track over another track. Since it is a free program, anyone should be able to use it.
  • chonakchonak
    Stimson, will you be distributing a click-track? (Do you need help in making up one?)
    I do need help with one, Chonak. Thank you.

And canadash- your son is more than welcome to join us!
  • In.
    Here's the list of singers so far. We may need to prune it down!

StimsonInRehab
    (Teddy Brewster from Purdue Chant Group)
    (Jerry Maguire Purdue Chant Group)
    Schönbergian
    francis
    Casavant Organist
    AndrewSteinerPiano
    (Andrew Steiner Dude #1)
    (Andrew Steiner Dude #2)
    RCS333
    Chonak
    Chris Garton-Zavesky
    (Chris Jr.)
    NihilNominis
    (Young Master Canadash)

TCJ are you in?
  • Stimson,

His name is John. (and my tongue has just been loosed.). I'm willing to help, but I don't know that I have anything like the right equipment.
    First off, I think we need to establish who will be our sound engineer for this project, and he can tell each of the singing members who sort of equipment or software we will need to use for this recording.

Francis, this sort of thing seems to be your bag, would you be willing to undertake? Or Chonak? Your payment will be the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you contribute to the proper worship of God. :)
  • TCJ
    I do not possess proper recording equipment, so I'm out. Anything I've ever tried recording on my microphone has been bad sound quality punctuated with hearing my breathing between singing. Looks like you've got enough anyway.
  • francis
    @StimsonInRehab

I am definitely all about warm fuzzy feelings. Does that mean you are sending me a bottle of scotch? (attaching a picture)

How about Easter Sunday as the premier date for posting the finished recording? Can we do it?

1. Does everyone have
    A. a digital recording app
    B. a microphone (built in if that is all you have, but a separate one would be better quality)
    C. a pair of headphones?

Recording Instructions

I took CHG's Midi file from above and converted it to an mp3 file which all of you will be able to play on your computer.

1. put your headphones on, but leave one ear open (headphone dangling on one side). the one in your ear will be your reference headphone, the one in which you will hear the mp3 file playing.
    2. open the recording app, hit the play button on the mp3 file, and then sing along into the microphone. make sure the external speaker is off so that the reference track does not get recorded while you are singing. we just want your voice.
    3. save the file you recorded and post it here in the thread.
    4. i will sew it all together as i get each part.

For those with greater tech appliances (devoted recording equipment, you know what to do!) The instructions above are for the bare minimum of tech heads.

questions? fire away.
    1000 x 1000 - 78K
  • I don't have external microphones or headphones (that I know about). I'm not sure I have a recording app, but my son has a "smart" phone (my flip phone wouldn't be any help this time.)

We might have to bow out.
    Hopefully not, Chris - because I find myself in the same position. (Laptop, and iphone).

What technology do we need for this, Francis?
  • francis
    ok... play the mp3 file on your laptop at a very low volume... just loud enough so you can follow along. face your phone toward yourself and stand 6 feet away from the computer on low volume and sing into your phone. that is about as hack as you can get.

hopefully the click track won't show up in your recorded file.
  • chonakchonak
    Listening to the click track with headphones is probably quieter than playing it through computer speakers.
  • francis
    @chonak

Yes, some people said they do not have headphones, so that is the last ditch alternative.
  • Carol
    Chris CG, LOL!

His name is John. (and my tongue has just been loosed.)
    I've had a request from one member that we transpose the Adrian Wall edition that we're using down a half-step for the basses in the group. Is this cool with everyone?
  • RCS333
    Sure!
  • francis
    Has anyone worked at the recording yet? How does it work out? If I change the key, anyone who has put in work making their part will be scrapped. Just trying to be considerate. Otherwise I can make a click track that is a half step lower. Thoughts?
  • chonakchonak
    I sent Stimson a track with clicks (and melody), and it's a trivial thing to transpose it down a half-step, once he's decided to do that.
  • Yeesh....as true tenor I can't hit that B lol. Transpose it higher!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Lol!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yeesh....as true tenor I can't hit that B lol. Transpose it higher!
    My understanding is that now it is intended to be sung a minor third below the pitch of the original score (which has no sharps or flats), down a minor second from the Adrian Wall edition. As pointed out in that edition notes at the bottom of the first page, if necessary, singers are to transpose phrases up or down as needed to account for differences in vocal range.

My own preference would have been to sing it at the original notated pitch, but I'm not singing in this project anyway, so it doesn't matter that much to me.
  • chonakchonak
    On the other end, the high G of the original score is out of reach for many basses. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to make those transpositions explicit and draft two versions of the score in the original key.
  • RCS333
    I’m actually doing live-streaming services and have some other things to attend to tomorrow, so I think I can het my track in my Monday - apologies for the delay!
  • CatherineS
    As a non-participant I am super excited both to see the results, and also to understand the process. :)
  • francis
    OK... decision needs to be made concerning getting this in motion. By altering the original plan to sing in a different key, I think people are confused about how to proceed. We need to get everyone on the same page. The OP should address this.
    Thanked by 1chonak
    Sorry it’s been so long my addressing this - recuperating from my Holy Week plans.

I am fine with singing it as pitched. Chonak, Adrian Wall’s edition suggests singing the high parts down a pitch if that is more feasible for the singer. What are our thoughts on that compromise?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • chonakchonak
    Sure, that's OK. Each of us can work out what that involves for ourselves.
  • Carol
    Check out the 600 member virtual choir from the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. singing "The Strife is O'er" as part of the Easter Sunday online service.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2273532756286450
  • chonakchonak
    Updated the MIDI and MP3 files above to add the click track.
  • chonakchonak
    Has anyone tried to practice this yet or to make a recording? Does anyone else find the tempo too fast?