Canceling Catholicism Until Further Notice
  • francis
    Could it be possible that the OF is going to morph into something that is not just anemically valid as it has existed over the years, but finally end in a full rupture from the true Mass and the magisterium, and take most of the people with it?
  • francis
    [purple] CGZ... you are free to post your inadvertently duplicated thoughts on threads that I start as often as you would like.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    francis,

I think the further away from Vatican II we get (time-wise) the closer the OF will start sounding and looking like what it is - a modified EF in the vernacular
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    bhcordova... I wish I could believe that.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly. Properly celebrated, the OF is a reform of the EF in the vernacular. What happened with music was not, I believe, planned but grew out of the general chaos of the times. The third edition of the missal is far superior to what preceded it.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • To borrow an idea from Chesterton, Decapitation isn't an improvement in dental hygiene.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Exaggeration doesn't improve communication.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • the OF is a reform of the EF in the vernacular.

Exaggeration doesn't improve communication.

Indeed. Your characterization of the OF as a reform of the EF is slightly exaggerated.

Thanked by 1CCooze
  • francis
    this is no exaggeration about the OF.

https://onepeterfive.com/pandemic-eucharistic-desecration/

“Therefore, whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread and drink of the chalice.

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.” 1 Cor. 11:27-29
  • CharlesW
    this is no exaggeration about the OF.

I am at multiple OF masses every Sunday and have never seen any of this. The pastor would murder someone if they did these things.

Our only problem with the purification of vessels is on the Sundays when an elderly deacon does them. You could go to Walmart while he does the purification and get back in time for dismissal.

I don't care what the church did to its liturgy, it would be like middle school. If the light bulbs were tinted a different color, there would be the nerdy kid with the nasally voice declaring the end of the world.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • francis
    Charles

It really doesn't matter what you see... what matters is what people DO. And that is the grave matter of the true pandemic facing us.
    Thanked by 2bhcordova CCooze
  • CharlesW
    I see what people do and if you see different, you are in another place.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • CatherineS
    Those in places where reverence is the norm have a lot to be grateful for.
  • francis
    Charles... I have seen too much, have participated in deep regret, suffered their ignorance and blindness, and will no longer give talent or time to any part of it. And now, God is dealing with us.
  • CharlesW
    This is of interest since many chapels are shut down. Live Adoration from Tyburn Convent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WclRtNhMFPc
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • dad29
    the OF is a reform of the EF in the vernacular.

A 'reform', eh? Removing the pedalboard from the organ, and then reversing the direction of ascending pitches on the keyboards, is less a "reform" than OF of EF. YMMV.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    reversing the direction of ascending pitches on the keyboards
    This actually happened after a repair a few moments before my recital debut, leaving me to manage with swell & antiphonal. But, if I'd had enough practice time …
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    Again, exaggeration. I have compared the two masses and find little difference in the texts. They are in different languages but Roman Missal 3 is a direct translation that says the same. Other than what has happened to music in some places, a lot of the complaints are on the level of not liking the color of the new light switches. But father took 2 and 1/2 steps to the right instead of 3. That's fine since it is not important.

Speaking of pedalboards, have you ever played a French Baroque instrument with the short pedals? That increased my admiration of the early French organists greatly.

• Charles,

Define, please "little difference".

Once there was an edition of the Bible published in England (I have this on the authority of a book called The Book of Heroic Failures) that had a little difference from most texts of the Bible. It left out the word "not" from the commandment "Thou shalt not commit adultery".

I think you're commenting on the differences between RM2 and RM3, not the difference between MPv and MPvi?
  • CharlesW
    Chris, I have looked at Eucharistic Prayer I and compared it with the missal the Trads are using - 1962 I'm sure. Where are the differences? The consecration is the same, the prayers are for any practical purposes, identical. There's less lace, theatrical gestures, and other non essentials. It is still the mass.
  • Charles,

The very fact that the formula at the consecration contains Mysterium Fidei in the older missal and doesn't in the newer is NOT a small matter, or it wouldn't have been changed and defended with such vigor.
  • CharlesW
    Mystery of faith is still there. We sing it every Sunday, or did until the plague hit. All this sounds like the idiocy surrounding pro multis. Thank the lord those fools finally were shut up by the new missal.
  • Charles,

If I merely add a space to the word "therapist", I get "the rapist". It's a small difference, and not one to get upset over is it? After all, aren't most therapists rapists? [That's a rhetorical question].

Of course the words "mystery of faith" are still there, but they've gone from being a declaration ('this is the cup of my blood, of the new and eternal testament, the mystery of faith, which will be poured out for you and for many.....") to something else: "the mystery of faith: [now pick an option]."

The Lavabo changed from Ps. 25 to Ps. 50, and from being a declaration to being a request. That's just like changing a formula (which, Thanks be to God, hasn't happened) from "Through the ministry of the Church I absolve you" to "I will ask, and shall we hope that God will forgive you?"

Then there's the ongoing confusion between the penitential rite and the Kyrie Eleison.

The Offertory is, quite simply, not the same.

To claim that these are basically the same, except in the minds of a few crazy people, is mistaken.

• CharlesW
    I mentioned that the music has suffered. The Offertory just doesn't adapt to all the actions that are now part of it. They have folded the collection of money with bringing the elements to the altar and expect a choir anthem at the same time. It is too much at one time.

Mystery of Faith: As a character on an old TV show used to say, "what you talkin' about Willis?"

English: "We proclaim your death o Lord and profess your resurrection until you come again." That's the only setting we use for English masses.

Latin: "Mortem tuam annuntiamus..." We use this for Latin masses and I don't think it has ever changed.

There is confusion with the Kyrie. I maintain it isn't penitential but part of a litany. Some don't agree.
  • chonakchonak
    "Mortem tuam..." and the other memorial acclamations have only been in the Missale Romanum since 1970.
  • CharlesW
    I like Mortem tuam far better than the other acclamations so that is the only one I use. That part of the mass surrounding the gospel was changed, to be sure.

I don't have a 1962 missal. The 1959 is the latest I own.
  • dad29
    Charles, methinks you've been quarantined for too long. There are many and substantial differences between the EF and OF, and your offhand (but grievous) error about "mortem tuam" tells me that you're not well-acquainted with the EF at all.

You DO know, don't you, that OF Canon 1 is the most-rarely used Canon? And you DO know that the entire 'Judica me" Psalm has disappeared? That the US version of the OF no longer has an Offertory versicle?

• CharlesW
    We do have Propers for offertory but only use them every other week when the schola is present. They tend to overwhelm the cantor in the other weeks. I knew that the memorial acclamation has multiple settings and there were some changes. We do the same one all the time, mortem tuam or its English equivalent. The psalms have been totally rearranged but that one is above my pay grade. I just follow the book.

Prior to 1969 mystery of faith was included in the consecration. Some things were moved around during the reforms. The old version was added before the 6th century in a response to the Manicheans who denied the goodness of material things. The new "the mystery of faith" refers, in its new context, to "the entire mystery of salvation through Christ's death, resurrection and ascension, which is made present in the celebration of the Eucharist" So my sources tell me. But in other words, it's still there.
  • It's not mine originally, but here's a quick comparison for anyone who isn't up to speed with either form, and it's completely non-partisan.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks for this comparison. I don't attend EF masses (tired and go home after playing for OF masses). Non-partisan? That's good - and rare.

I realize some changes were made, some things were not changed but moved around, and rubrics overall simplified. In essence, if the priest simply said the words of consecration - this is my body - blood - nothing else would be necessary. So dropping a psalm is nothing critical. Although I must admit I liked the prayers at the foot of the altar better than the current greeting. Likewise, the Kyrie has become disposable for any practical purpose. I am only allowed to do it during Lent with our new pastor.

One could take several approaches from the more things change the more they stay the same, to the sky is falling. I do like the greater congregation participation - and no, I don't buy that just being there is actual participation. What I do miss most in the NO is the lack of poetry. Some of it just doesn't scan, as we used to say in literature classes. Roman Missal 3 is a big improvement but the refinement of texts needs to continue.

Music? I don't know if we will ever be back to where we were. Most parishes have abandoned the old music and have no desire to go back. My place is something of an outpost.
  • francis
    Canceling public Mass is a prudent action, I will admit, but still more important, if at all possible, is to go to confession if you are able.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    still more important, if at all possible, is to go to confession if you are able.

Yes, the antiphon and responsory from Ash Wednesday are still fresh in my mind and very poignant.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ghmus7
    I have to say, in all this seemingly unnoticed, the government has virtually destroyed at least three of our rights that are enshrined in the constitution:

The right to worship
    The right to free assembly
    The right to free speech ( perhaps this one has not been harmed).

I am not brilliant egnough to say whether this was totally nessecary, I CAN accept that is is required, but I DO think that it is shocking how easily the government simply walked right over these rights without much objection.