Preludes & Postludes for Laetare
  • Nisi
    What preludes & postludes (and Communion pieces) do you play for Laetare?
    I'll start: The Tournemire suite for Laetare (not last movement) & Mendelssohn III (Aus tiefer Not).
  • CharlesW
    I have an Aus tiefer by Reger that works as a short piece, or is a bit longer when played with the hymn. I generally haven't done postludes in the past but may change that this year to one of the many French classic works available - see IMSLP. Preludes, forget it. Half my choir shows up by the psalm and the other half manages to create chaos. I'm too busy putting out fires for preludes. I like "Choral Dorien" by Jehan Alain as a filler during communion. It fits with the Lenten season.
  • O Mensch Bewein.
  • henry
    "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" for a Prelude.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • I plan to play Brahms' Schmuke dich chorale and prelude.
  • Caleferink
    In recent years I've done a couple of pieces from the Augsburg Organ Library Lent volume - Wayne Wold's setting of "Beach Spring" or Timothy Flynn's "Herzlich Tut Mich Verlangen." Alain's Choral Dorien is also in there. This year, though, I'm planning on doing the Vierne Arabesque from his 24 Pieces. For postludes, most of the time I improvise on the closing hymn unless I can find an appropriate short piece because people scatter as soon as the priest leaves.