Old Holy Week in York, Pa 2020
  • gsharpe34
    @Richard Mix - thanks for this cordial reply. Apologies for misunderstanding the "moot" remark; I suspect we'll be going forward with Holy Week unless the temporal authorities positively forbid gatherings in terms that would clearly apply to the Triduum services.

I will look at the archives when I have time; thanks.

I will defend my comment "all are welcome" only by saying that it was based on the assumption that those wanting to participate in the liturgy in an official way would meet the prerequisites for such participation. And, again, it's not a matter of my rule or imposition of some kind of "schola director's edict," but a rather commonsense application of liturgical law - admittedly my subjective understanding, but I think a defensible one and one that constitutes a reasonable assumption. That said, there are plenty of offertory and communion motets that we sing that are not properly part of the liturgy (in which case, arguably, the choir is providing "decoration" rather than liturgical action) - and insofar as the sung office is not obligatory (and is therefore devotional rather than fulfilling a canonical obligation), I assume that would make participation in the Triduum Matins, Lauds, and and Vespers, as well as Easter Matins and Lauds (along with the large volume of aforementioned non-liturgical motets), pretty much wide open.

At the risk of over-emphasis: my point about the non-Catholic singer discussion was intended solely to highlight the tolerance some apparently have for that practice as a contrast to the intolerance others (not sure if it's the same cadre of folks) have for the purportedly "non-canonical" Holy Week. It was not meant to identify, let alone implement or impose, a practical policy. If you had sent your friend to York for Holy Week and he came to sing with us, and the only thing he did was refrain from receiving communion (which is absolutely none of my business), I am sure (or at least suppose) that the question of his religious status would never have arisen. But that practical flexibility does not necessarily translate into a resolution of the conceptual/legal question as to non-Catholics taking liturgical roles in Catholic liturgical offices.

Finally as for the German term, the musical dictionaries I have say that it means one who is an expert mechanic, reading readily by sight, but lacking "taste and style"; elsewhere it is said to be one "whose playing is more notes than music."
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    And thanks for your cordiality as well. You've piqued my curiosity, and I see that while some definitions are straightforward enough:

Notenfresser, Croque-notes, ein Practikus, welcher die schwierigsten Tonstücke ohne weiteres vom Blatte herabzuhaspeln im Stande ist.
    [Gathy Encyklopädie Musik-Wissenschaft 1840, 329]

the term later starts to acquire ironical overtones:

Notenfresser, Croque-notes, ist die scherzhafte Bezeichnung für einen ausgezeichneten Notenleser, der auch die schwierigeren Tonstücke ohne vorherige Durchsicht auszuführen im Stande ist. Da hierbei in der Regel eben nur die Noten abgespielt oder gesungen werden, ist die Bezeichnung, wenn auch nicht fein, doch immerhin zutreffend. [Reissmann Handlexikon 1882, 323]

and there are comedies with stock characters named Notenfresser, ein Kapellmeister. Thielemann's very entertaining book has a whole chapter lamenting the downgrading of the later title, which he passionately defends on the basis of craftsmanship being the sine cum non of artistry.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    gsharpe,

First off - I must congratulate you on your musical program for the greatest week of the liturgical year. Even from the brief outline which you have presented to us, it appears to be a monumental undertaking.

Secondly - it’s always great to find another musician coming from a “canonically irregular” background, shall we say. For all it’s faults, the people here have been surprisingly helpful to someone as outspoken as I am on my position. (Thanks again to all who helped with the wedding a few weeks back.) We argue a lot, but we’ve got one another’s back when all is said and done.

Third - does you community still plan to do Holy Week under the current circumstances?

Do drop me a DM sometime. I love talking shop with fellow SSPXers.
  • as outspoken as I am

Stimson,

You must move in some very reticent circles to consider yourself outspoken!
  • gsharpe34
    @StimsonInRehab - Thanks much. Unless PA authorities mandate a strict shut-down of all public venues, I am relatively sure that we'll be going forward.

Interesting that in MD (where we live) the Governor has barred all gatherings of more than 10 people across the board, except for the exceptions (that don't include religion), such as long lines at take-out restaurants, government buildings housing employees, etc. We "violate" the rule, on its face, every day, with our family situation (2 spouses, 7 kids, 3 of four grandparents/inlaws).
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Chris, where I come from, you’re considered a bold person if you stare at someone’s shoes when you’re talking to them, instead of staring at your own.
    Thanked by 2Liam Incardination
  • Liam
    Speaking of politeness:

https://www.theawl.com/2011/01/why-minnesota-mothers-are-doing-pretty-good/

"Once when I was young — maybe more than once — when I was extremely disrespectful to my mother, my father angrily went to the basement to look for something for over two hours without coming back upstairs. I felt terrible and deeply ashamed of what I had done. But neither I, nor anyone else ever spoke of it ever again."

"Here’s a story in favor of niceness, Minnesota-style: Aunt Lena is about 84, still using the restroom and driving by herself. She was a real firebrand. After she lost Ole, her husband of 61 years, we were over at her house for meatloaf. It had been just a month and we were worried about how she was coping, alone in an old farmhouse far from anyone else. In the middle of ice cream, Lena became very quiet and looked as though she was going to cry. I immediately mentioned how we were supposed to get some snow by Friday, but that I wasn’t sure if it was going to be three or five inches. Lena clicked on the local news, and, wouldn’t you know it, we caught the end-of-program forecast. It was five inches. And we got to talking about if it would be wet and heavy or the good light stuff we’ve been getting lately which is really easy to sweep and not much of a hardship at all, in fact, it makes it nice to get out there and get some exercise, especially if the wind isn’t blowing."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen