Ant hue, my brothers and sisters
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    When I was a newcomer at my present church there was a custom, followed even by cantors, of saying at the Confiteor "Therefore I ask Blessed Mary, ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and to you, my brothers and sisters, to pray…" and since then the "to" (if not "the" before "Blessed") has largely been eradicated: when I do hear the extra syllable I've been in the habit of smiling and wondering which long lost sheep I ought to seek out and welcome back.

Just recently though I've been puzzled by hearing it from people with no previous connection to the parish, and listening a visitor aspirating a D into a microphone I've suddenly wondered whether it could be not an infection but an emergent phenomenon of slovenly diction and tricky acoustics. If it can arise spontaneously rather than by wrongheaded-ness perhaps some of you have similar data or anecdotes?
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • SalieriSalieri
    I miss my Aunt Hugh, she was a wonderful chap.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Kathy
    It should be noted that grievous has only 2 syllables, to make up for and to you.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Don't forget "particurly" (or sometimes "particulary") ... right up there with "Febuary" in the garbled pronunciation department.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • JL
    I'm still waiting for the priests in my archdiocese to stop saying "...our doody and our salvation." The great Madeleine Marshall appears to be unrepresented on seminary shelves.
  • Liam
    That's doody and salivation....

That said, if you pronounce the D of AND, the acoustic may well render it as heard as a T with a schwa linked to Y, sounding like "to you".

I am more accustomed to hearing the slovenly "annyou".
    Thanked by 1JL