American Gradual 2020: Draft
  • Hi everyone,

I’ve been working with Bruce Ford to typeset an update of The American Gradual (TAG), an adaptation of the chants from the 1974 Graduale Romanum to English. The translation intends to complement the 1979 Book of Common Prayer’s “Rite II”, which roughly compares to the language in the modern Roman Missal’s English translation and thus fits well with that ritual also.

TAG’s original edition was issued in 5-line notation. While Bruce’s intent is eventually to issue such a version for this updated edition, the immediately forthcoming publication uses conventional 4-line chant notation. The work will be made available both in print and as a freely downloadable PDF.

Before it goes to print, we’d like to invite as many as possible to look this edition over and offer feedback: typos, citation errors, formatting/layout quirks, etc.:

https://americangradual.org/ag/introit_offertory_communion_2019_12_27T20_08_59Z.pdf

I found the original TAG invaluable in my last position as parish music director, and I am excited to have been a part of this updated edition.

Thank you in advance!
  • The engraving is truly elegant, and why not red staff lines? For those who download and print, 99% will be all black: what a pity. Also a great idea to put those most used, Introit, Offertory, Communion in one volume, and the less often used in another. Perhaps at some point a volume containing all of the texts could be of great use for those who prepare worship aids.
    Thanked by 1Felipe Gasper
  • It would be nice if the actual ℣ and ℟ characters could be used, instead of V. and R.

Otherwise looks excellent. I previously shied away from TAG in favour of Palmer/Burgess mainly because of the five-line notation, so it'll be nice to have the option of either in four-line notation moving forwards.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I quickly turned to the Mandatum antiphons, which have disappeared. Happy to see Juxta vestibulum, though!

The bar lines are welcome, though I still think a period between verses is warranted in Lent III's Passer invenit (which has "abd" for "and").

My ringbinder AG has lots of extra Communion verses penciled in, and it would be nice to have some spares in the new one, even if unpointed. The numbering issues I've previously raised seem not to have been addressed.
  • Heath
    Well done!

One comment: Do all that you can to keep an entire chant on the same page. For instance, on p. 7 (p. 25 of the PDF) I think you could just push the first line of "Dicite pusillanimes" onto the next page. Those page turns (or having to print out multiple pages for e-editions) can be a real annoyance. You may add 20-30 pages to the book, but well worth it in the long run.
  • canadashcanadash
    We've been using this for a couple of months now. EXCELLENT. Thank you. It really fills a need!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Oh, if I may. Could you include page numbers? Sometimes I need to print single pages and this would be helpful.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Hi all,

Sorry, I didn’t have alerts on for this thread. Responses to follow.
  • @Roborgelmeister: We could make the downloadable PDF have red staff lines. Would that be advantageous?

The graduals & alleluias will follow in another edition; however, bear in mind that there is no “alius cantus aptus” provision in GIRM for the interlectionary chants; thus, I believe that, absent a bishop’s explicit approval, it would be illicit to use English adaptations of those chants in the Mass.
  • @Schönbergian: Re ℣ and ℟: will do. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • @Heath: I would love to know a way to make Gregorio avoid page turns—at least for the cases where there’s only 1 staff after the page break. I’ll see what I can find.
  • @canadash: There are page numbers at the top outer corner of each page.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • roemermt
    Is the clef on page 95 incorrect? It looks different than the 5 line staff version.
  • ghmus7
    Hello Felipe! This is a great thing you are doing, I still have the old edition on my computer. I would just add my .02 about red staff lines. I would think that in printing, some users would only have a B&W printer, and the red lines may come out as grey, and may be hard to read. I suppose that could be tested.
    Thanked by 2chonak GerardH