GIA buys WLP catalog
  • It was announced today that World Library will become a division of GIA effective January 2.

I do like the folks at GIA and Alec Harris is a fine man. That being said, it's sad to see this further consolidation of power in the marketplace. I wonder what it means for the WLP seasonal missalette business. I assume Pauluch will continue their bulletin business. They seem to be just offloading the WLP part of their business. Heigh-ho.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Do you have a link to that announcement?
  • MarkB
    There's more to this than meets the eye. An acquaintance told me that WLP wasn't able to pay royalties on time this year; its music sales aren't profitable and it's struggling. GIA is taking advantage of a competitor's weakness to acquire its catalogue.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • There's more to this than meets the eye. An acquaintance told me that WLP wasn't able to pay royalties on time this year; its music sales aren't profitable and it's struggling. GIA is taking advantage of a competitor's weakness to acquire its catalogue.

Since the announcement a while back that they’d be unable to make royalty payments, I’ve yet to even see a statement to see what was owed. It seems like Walton is doing well under the GIA banner—hopefully WLP does as well.
  • Kathy
    It was funny. One day I got an email saying royalties would be delayed, and the next day I got a check in the mail.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    There's more to this than meets the eye

What I have found "funny" about WLP is that their missalettes have arrived at the last minute every time the liturgical season changed for about a year. Supposedly, they had "printing problems," their term not mine.

Of course, you trust GIA don't you since their motives are always pure?

• bhcordovabhcordova
    I got a message from WLP about this.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Share?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Charles, it's the same message as the link from NeilWeston above. Just from WLP as an e-mail.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I was considering a new GIA hymnal in the next year or two. Perhaps now, I might wait and see if combining the library will give us the best of the two and clear out the junk. I do like some of the Paluch We Celebrate repertoire. Anyone know of a timeframe for Gather 4?
  • I assume it all depends on the necessary revisions to the psalm settings to accord with the revision of the Grail Psalter. I am not aware of any potential timeline on this.