Christmas Recessional
  • After years of "Hark! The herald angels sing"as our Midnight Mass recessional, I am seriously considering "The first Nowell." Thoughts or other ideas or reflections from the forum would be appreciated. One reason for the change is that we have sung the same carols for years at this service and a bit of change might be nice. A second reason is that I am particularly fond of the carol and its text. Just curious as to observations or ideas of others.
  • CharlesW
    Nothing wrong with it. My GIA hymnal put it in the Epiphany section, but it is still a perfectly good carol for the rest of Christmas. Our Midnight Mass recessional is always "Joy to the World."
  • I vote for 'The First Nowell'. Taken at an Anglican pace it's perfect for the 'recessional'. As for 'Hark, the Herald Angels Sing', I prefer it as an offertory when there is no anthem because it is one of the most theologically rich of all carols. As for Antioch, I frowned on it as a young child and continue to do so. It is a 'happy clappy' tune masquerading as respectable hymnody.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    "Joy to the World," the Handel version, I inherited along with "O Come All Ye Faithful" for Midnight Mass and Christmas day. Those two have been a tradition before my time there and I am fine with them. They get limited use so are not around long enough in the liturgical year to make much difference.

OTOH, another parish in town that will remain nameless, did the Three Dog Night version of "Joy..." as a recessional at their Christmas Eve "contemporary" mass.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Liam
    I don't think of The First Nowell for the beginning of the Christmas season, but more for Epiphany. I think of Angels We Have Heard on High as more appropriate (and Kathlick) for a recessional on Christmas itself - it captures the going-forth-to-witness aspect better. I am not a fan of HTHAS, but it's a better fit for Christmas itself than TFN.

Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • GambaGamba
    I personally keep Hark! on Christmas and sing Nowell on Epiphany, because “Then entered in those wise men three / full reverently upon the knee / and offered there in his presence / their gold and myrrh and frankincense.”

Also, our (NO) last hymn on Christmas is always sung at the end of Communion, before the Postcommunion. Some Sunday PIPs are wont to leave as soon as the procession gets out of their way – how much more the CEOs, with a full parking lot, and food in the oven?

I find it tremendously depressing to try to sing a hymn while people are pushing past me to get out of the church, and others are starting to shout season's greetings, and the next person actually singing is five pews away and to the left. Just go out with an organ postlude.

Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Liam
    There is a very different ANTIOCH, in L.M., btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cHyS4nDZqM

https://twitter.com/luzeng/status/639304908542377984

And here's the Southern Harmony's approach to the Handelesque ANTIOCH C.M. tune:
    http://threeoranges.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/AntiochCarminaSacra.png

(Joy To The World is only worth doing if you include the "No more let sins and sorrows grow . . . as far as the curse is found" verse/refrain. Make sure that k sound on "curse" is krispy klear. Just. Because.)

(One potential way to nip misappropriation - aka theft - of the music of Three Dog Night is to send an email asking if they had secured the necessary permissions to us it that way.)

Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Maybe it isn't the recessional that you need to change but what you do afterwards. When I sang in St. Mary's choir, we would sing a recessional that the congregation could sing. "Joy to the World", "Hark the Herald Angles Sing", etc. We might do one or two verses of the hymn. Then we would switch and sing what had become traditional for our parish, "The Song That Would Never Cease". It's my suggestion.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    we have sung the same carols for years at this service and a bit of change might be nice.
    Poor innocent lamb :-)
    For the Shepherd's Mass we invariably sing "O come all" "Silent" & "Hark"; for the day "Angels we have heard" "O little town" & "Joy".
  • Kathy
    I think TFN is useful for times when the congregation is not normally using hymnals. It does seem more of an Epiphanytide text than for Christmas itself.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Thanks for all of the comments. I do understand the Ephiphany connotations, but am more drawn by the last verse, "Then let us all.with one accord..." It is a magnificent verse which to me states the Christmas Gospel gloriously. Also, in my parish the five or six verses are necessary to "cover" the choir and altar "party" as they process at the end of mass. I have tried on numerous times to introduce a new mass setting for Christmas Eve, but the Schubert is a congregational favorite and only used during Christmas season.
  • TFN ... doesn't that verse end, "That hath made heav'n and earth of naught, And with His blood mankind hath bought" - ?

Sounds perfect for recessional for the last Epiphany Sunday, with Septuagesima right on the horizon. Think I'll use it. thanks!
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck CHGiffen
  • Mmeladiretress: Yes. That final verse. It one of the best verses in any carol.
  • cesarfranck
    my favorite is It Came Upon A(the) Midnight Clear
    even though it says, "peace on the earth, good will to men"
    the best verses come so late that probably few people ever sing them

3. But with the woes of sin and strife
    The world has suffered long;
    Beneath the angel-strain have rolled
    Two thousand years of wrong;
    And man, at war with man, hears not
    The love song which they bring; –
    O hush the noise, ye men of strife,
    And hear the angels sing!

5. For lo! the days are hastening on
    By prophet bards foretold,
    When, with the ever circling years
    Shall come the age of gold;
    When Peace shall over all the earth,
    Its ancient splendors fling,
    And the whole world give back the song,
    Which now the angels sing.
  • Liam
    Of course, It Came Upon The Midnight Clear is sufficiently mid-19th century Boston Unitarian* that Jesus not mentioned by name or title. (Presumably, the reference to King is just to God simply understood, shall we say.)

* https://www.uuworld.org/articles/it-came-upon-unitarian-midnight-clear
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Liam, Very valid point and one of many reasons that I never use it on Christmas Eve.
  • Is the authorship of a hymn really a compelling and overbearing reason not to program it?
  • In some cases, yes.
    In some cases, no.
    It all depends on the theological content, musical worth, and literary quality of a given specimen.

Luther himself is a case in point -
    He is responsible for numerous hymns that are beautiful, are quite sound, and are good verse.
    He is also responsible for much that a Catholic could not so much as glance at without shuddering.

This is rather closely allied to the topics about 'Protestant' hymnody that we have given much attention to in the past. It is the content and its quality, not the provenance, that is the determining factor. Most of us shouldn't want never again to sing Schmuche dich just because it was penned by a Lutheran. It is an orthodox theological and eucharistic gem that is chock full of mystical imagery. (Etc., etc..) Whatever expresses Truth is ipso facto Catholic.
  • For an alternative point, we don’t have sung recessional music at my parish—I typically alternate between Craig Phillips’ Toccata on Antioch and Keith Chapman’s Bring a Torch.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck