Famous painting of choir
  • davido
    I'm trying to locate the name of a painting I've seen of a choir of men and boys in a gallery, probably baroque era. There is a boy in the foreground dropping his sheet music over the edge of the loft. The director, blissfully unaware of the boy, is directing other boys and some very old men.

Anyone know the title of this painting (or the artist)? My google searching is turning up nothing. Thanks!
  • davido
    Thats the one, thank you!
    Thanked by 1Randolph Nichols
  • Because of the subject matter and the humor of the dropping sheet music, I was sure the painting dated from the late 19th or early 20th century. However, I had never heard of the painting and am impressed a_f-hawkins so quickly solved the puzzle. (By the way, the hanging tapestries as well as the organ pipework in the painting are really well done.)
  • I have been looking for a painting I saw once, like the attached, but as I remember it with a single rather nervous looking boy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Is that a work by Max Scholz, the German painter of the same vintage as Gallegos y Arnosa? I notice there are other Arnosa paintings featuring choir boys, so perhaps it's by him.

And then there's Norman Rockwell's "Choir Boy"! :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen