Easter triduum: Reveal any positive happenings!
  • kevinfkevinf
    For me, three happy moments:

1)A lovely setting of Ubi Caritas for Thursday (not the Durufle)
    2)The sung reproaches for Friday (hard but worth it)
    3)Sequence sung in Latin at all of the Sunday English liturgies.

Little victories.
  • Pes
    Pastor sang Kyrie, Benedictus, and Ite missa est in their original languages, and the congregation responded well!
  • francis
    Schola chanted Regina Caeli at all three Masses for Easter
    Chanted sequence at both Masses today
    Premiered a new setting of the ord in English Thurs and all Easter Masses/will post soon
    Schola chanted Crux Fid & Stabat Mater Good Friday
    Premiered "He Was Despised" on Good Friday for two part vocal and organ
    http://www.romancatholicsacredmusic/seehear/heWasDespised.html
    Played 10am organ postlude improv on O Filii Et Filae
  • Kathy
    Combined youth schola and choir for a spiffy Pange Lingua procession.

Sung Lauds and Matins for all 3 Triduum days. Well attended and fairly well chanted!
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • CharlesW
    Cantor sang the "Reproaches" during congregational veneration of a relic of the true cross.
    The pastor chanted the entire Exsultet.
    Choir sang the Mozart "Ave Verum" - in Latin, of course.
    I survived 6 masses, and 2 para-liturgies in 4 days.
    Played the devil out of Marchand for Easter masses.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Where can I begin?

Our choir sang Durufle's Ubi Caritas flawlessly during the Holy Thursday liturgy - extremely moving and beautiful.
    Ave Verum by Byrd during Communion was equally effective.

Popule Meus during the veneration of the cross was absolutely BREATHTAKING, as was Palestrina's O Crux Ave during Communion.

Then there was the Easter Vigil, with the beautiful chanted psalms in the darkness, the exultet chanted in the candlelight, Pergolesi's Surrexit Christus with Violin and Trumpet ...

Plus much more.

I need a few days to finish taking it all in. I'm almost in awe.
  • Kevin -
    If not Durufle's, whose??
  • Woman who sent rather vicious hate mail to me two years ago, which I refer to every so often to keep me grounded, demanding all my innovations be removed and return to the format of liturgical guitar at all Masses spoke with a close friend in the choir after the Vigil about how much she loves all the music we do.

Lady came to me tears after Mass today...very moved by Ave Verum chanted slowly unaccompanied at the end of communion. After more than an hour of screaming and crying babies, especially during the homily, the Ave Verum brought complete silence to the church....which surprised me.

We had just sung the Dutch Carol, This Joyful Eastertide, so I think people thought we were going out with the pull-out-all-the-stops, show-off-the choir music...
  • Carl DCarl D
    Our Chant Schola sang the Good Friday service, for the second year - back by popular request!

This was my first chance to sing the Vigil Exsultet. A wonderful and challenging experience, to say the least. The Priest chanted several parts of that Mass, as did the Deacon.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Ubi Caritas-Joesph Gentry Stephens. Lovely setting.
  • priorstf
    Ten newly baptized and confirmed Catholics. (Even though the names Hayden, Kali and Cheyenne are not in the list of saints ... yet.)
  • Allegri MISERERE MEI on Good Friday. Never thought I'd have an opportunity, ever. What a sublime work. God bless Leopold for taking his kid to Capella Sixtina that fateful day.
    Sang Richard's "Springs of water" and Communio from Simple Gradual- nice, but keeping the tenors on D1 perpetually taxed us so! Had to actually remind myself this morning to use the diaphragm to keep enough air moving to support the pitch. If we'd gone head-voice, we'd gone south fer sure.
    Used a new Ricky Manalo "Pie Jesu" that is a B+ as far as OCP choral settings go. We've already done Faure, Rutter, LW, et al over the years. For Palm Sunday, I recommend a Jay Rouse arrangement of "O Sacred Head..." that integrates the Bach Siciliano from his third flute sonata pretty sweetly.
    Was gonna reinstate the Proulx Oecumenica, but time constraints for rehearsing everything kept us in Schiavone's HOLY FAMILY brevis.
    Still miffed over botched Passion proclamations, though. Oh well.
  • Good Friday, ICRSS Oratory:
    - Chanted the role of the Synagoga during the Passion for the first time(!)
    - Sang Popule Meus (Victoria) for the first time; Crucem tuam (chant) and Crux fidelis (chant) in full
    - Sang Vexilla Regis (chant) during the procession to the reserved Eucharist in full

Easter Vigil, ICRSS Oratory:
    - Started outdoors under the stars, in almost total darkness (even the lights in the church's parking lot were shut off)
    - Chanted all the propers as found in the Liber Usualis
    - Played some simple Boyvin settings (from IMSLP.org) as interludes and postludes after accidentally discovering the mean-tune button on the digital organ

Easter Sunday, Parish Chapel:
    - Played a serviceable organ improvisation on Victimae Paschali Laudes as a prelude...no fireworks in these fingers currently!
    - Pastor, who didn't sing a single note before 2007, nailed the Vidi Aquam incipit and did a very good job on the Easter Dismissal (on short notice)
    - Before homily, pastor acknowledged roles of parishioners, seminarian/MC, altar boys, and schola (and no one broke into applause)
    - Pastor gave a most excellent homily, as we have come to expect (we are blessed!)
    - Organ improvisation on Regina Caeli...again, no fireworks...
    - SRO crowd in our chapel (there may have been some overflow into the hallway)
  • mjballoumjballou
    In the realm of influence - the Easter sequence was chanted in English at the Cathedral and the Vidi aquam chanted at the Pascal Vespers, both done by one of my schola members. I heard the latter and was delighted to hear how her tone has developed, as well as a good rhythmic sense. Importantly, the pastor of the Cathedral was pleased.
  • * Easter Sequence: first sections in traditional chant; from 'Dic nobis Maria' in setting by Francisco Lopez Capillas (c. 1615-1673).
    * surviving Easter well despite having a musically-crucial prima donna singer storming out (permanently, as I have decreed) on Maundy Thursday
    * larger attendance at all the 'choir' Masses of the week
    * a visiting Jesuit scholastic commenting to the pastor, 'now THAT was the Roman Rite!'.
  • ghmus7
    We did a nice seting of the Mandatum text by Peter Nardone (RSCM) who incorporates the Ubi Caritas. Mozart Ave V with strings as it should be done! More chant than ever- introits, antiphon at mandatum, all communios, entire Crux Fidelis, Popolous Meus - chant verses with the Victoria choral parts. Composed/improvise a long into to the E.V. Gloria. During the Veneration, we sang twenty pieces of music! (liturgy was over three hours) Palestrina Sicut, Christus Factus est Anerio, Alternated Stabat Mater- chant with English hymn setting. Cong. learning Misa da Angelis. Regina Caeli, Lotti with brass. Surrext Christus; Scheidt w. brass. Byrd/Proulx stting of Agnus Dei. Pastor sang Exultet beautifull, great homilies. Poor deacon pratically collapsed with huge candle.
    Downside: poor Spanish hymns.
  • WJA
    Our parish celebrated the Triduum for the first time in 51 years. Yes, *51* years. Our pastor decided to celebrate the Triduum on approximately 3 weeks notice. Yes, *3* weeks notice.Our six-man schola, which came into existence nine months ago, sang each service. We were *the* choir; the main choir didn't participate at all.

Our program:

Entrance. “Lift High the Cross.”
    Kyrie. Mass VIII (de Angelis).
    Gloria. Mass VIII (de Angelis).
    Responsorial Psalm. Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    Washing of Feet. "Let these abide.” Chant adapt. from Sacramentary antiphons. [I think it was Mr. Tucker who posted this on the forum]
    Offertory. “Ubi caritas.” (the setting in PBC).
    Sanctus. Mass VIII (de Angelis).
    Agnus Dei. Mass VIII (de Angelis).
    Communion. “Adoremus te Christe.”
    Transfer of the Blessed Sacrament. “Pange lingua/Tantum Ergo.” (the setting in PBC).

GOOD FRIDAY

Responsorial Psalm. Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    “This is the wood of the cross . . ./Come, let us worship.” Sacramentary.
    “We worship you, Lord, we venerate your cross . . .” Sacramentary.
    “Reproaches I & II.” English plain chant arrangement by a local choirmaster; beautiful.
    Communion. “Jesu, dulcis memoria.” (the setting in PBC).

EASTER VIGIL

“Christ our light/Thanks be to God.” Sacramentary.
    “Exsultet.” Sacramentary. I sang this using the chant notation janetgorbitz typeset after I innocently inquired on this forum whether such a thing existed. Amazing!
    Reading I/Responsorial Psalm 104. Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    Reading III/Responsorial Psalm (Exodus 15) Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    Reading V/Responsorial Psalm (Isaiah 12) Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    Gloria. Mass VIII (de Angelis).
    Alleluia. Parish Book of Chant, p. 154.
    Responsorial Psalm 118. Chant setting from Celebrating the Eucharist.
    Sprinkling. “Vida aquam.” Parish Book of Chant.
    Offertory. “O Sons and Daughters.”
    Communion. “Pascha nostrum.” Anglican Use Gradual (simple setting).
    After Mass. “The Strife Is O’er, the Battle Done.” Sacred Song.

The pastor and the people were overjoyed. Had it not been for this site, or rather, all of the people who make this site possible -- with its thousands of pages of music and instruction and thousands of forum posts responding to every imaginable question -- we simply could not have done this. So, on behalf of my entire parish: Thank you!

WJA
  • kevinfkevinf
    Congrats WJA, that's a pretty impressive list given three weeks notice.
  • Carl DCarl D
    WJA, I am in awe!
  • Palestrina
    This is what I did for the Triduum with my choirs in the extraordinary form of the Roman Rite.

Maundy Thursday
    - All music as in the Graduale Romanum

Good Friday - 3pm.
    - All music as in the Graduale Romanum

Tenebrae of Easter Saturday
    - First nocturn: Responsories by Croce and Viadana
    - Second and third nocturns: Responsories by Victoria
    - Christus Factus Est by Asola
    - All other music as in the Liber Usualis

Easter Vigil
    - Canticles alternated between falso bordone setting by Viadana (every second one) and the chant as in the Graduale Romanum
    - Mass Ordinary: Missa Brevis - Palestrina
    - Music at the Gloria (for ringing of bells etc): Heut' triumphiret Gottes Sohn - J. S. Bach (Orgelbuchlein)
    - Tract: Falso bordone setting - Viadana
    - Offertory: Jubilate Deo - Lassus, O Filii et Filiae - arr. Muset.
    - Communion: Cantate Domino - Hassler, Sicut Cervus - Palestrina.
    - Lauds of Easter Sunday: Alleluia antiphon by William Byrd with plainchant verses
    - Benedictus: Falso bordone setting by C. Andreas (17th century)
    - Recessional Hymn: Bring all you dear-bought nations bring.
    - All other music as in the Graduale Romanum
  • Good news: nobody was injured.

Actually, Good Friday liturgy went quite well:
    Resp. Psalm as in Respond and Acclaim
    Gosp. Acc/Gradual Christus Factus Est
    Adoration Crucem Tuam and Reproaches (Grad. Simp.)
    Communion Adoro Te

One inveterate parishoner said she had never attended a more beautiful Good Friday liturgy in all her years. God bless her!
  • Where to start...
    This was the first time in 40 (or more?) years that the Triduum as celebrated in the '62 Missal was allowed in San Diego. As I'm not a traditionalist and I hadn't suffered for years in the marginalized TLM community here, I was incredibly happy for my parish, but almost didn't feel worthy to be leading the choir.

Before this year, I had been to the EF 5-10 times in my life. Experiencing it for 3 months on a regular basis, and the Triduum in particular, has been nothing short of life changing for me.

But you wanted to hear musical highlights...

Rehearsal strategy-
    Half the choir (10 people) came to an extra weekly chant-only rehearsal. Six of these (three men and three women) served as cantors, and sung the more difficult chant. This allowed us to divide duties and sing much of the authentic Gregorian chants from the Liber. And there are a TON of them, compared with what I'm used to in the OF. We also used much of Richard Rice's 'Simplified Graduale'.

My personal highlights were-
    Holy Thursday- Gradual, Mandatum, and Ubi Caritas
    Good Friday- Reproaches
    Easter Vigil- Sicut cervus
    Easter Sunday- Alleluia, Sequence by newly formed choristers (12 kids) and Pitoni's Cantate Domino sung by adult choir.

The work was exhausting and exhilarating, and I began to wonder if I was saturated in too much of a good thing. Fr. gave me a kind bonus and the week off, and I said I would not even think of work. Then I found myself in the hair salon this morning solfegging the Introit and Communion for this coming Sunday. And realized I'm truly loving the older form of Mass, TOTALLY hooked on chant, to the point that I cannot stay away from this sung prayer.

So glad for this sacred music support group called CMAA!
  • WJA, great story. Talk about hussle- sounds like your group of six singers is the musical equivalent of the A Team!
  • Beth
    I second the comment of nobody getting injured. Last year at the Easter Vigil, one of my sopranos lit her hair on fire with the candle.
    This year one of the celebrating priests' vestment caught on fire while lighting the Easter candle. No injury except to the Chasuble.
    The exsultet chanted by one of the priests (well)
    The Brass and I in a E.power biggs arrangement of Bach's Cantata 146
    Victimae Pascale Chanted by men and women alternating
    Te Deum (solem tone) Chanted after mass
    Regina Caeli (chant after mass)
  • mjballoumjballou
    At the church where I am the organist, the choir with added strings, timpani and a trumpet sang the Mozart Sparrow Mass (leaving out the Credo). The conductor, brought in at the last-minute because illness, electrified this choir and brought out of them music I haven't heard in the 8 months I've been on the bench. (They've been doing this for 30 years with their old conductor and lacked both verve and accuracy.) Even their Ave Verum was up several notches.

Other good thing - we didn't have time for Pan de Vida
  • G
    WJA, don't want to drag this off topic, but why has your parish not been having the Triduum?

My personal highlight was a two-parter -- glancing at the congregation's progress to gauge how much more music we needed during the Veneration on Friday, and seeing that people were singing the refrain to the Reproaches with the choir -- no music, no words, not asked to do so... I wanted to cry.
    And in two different sermons during Holy Week, by two different priests, those words, "My people, what have I done to you, how have I offended you?" were the theme... and I did cry.

It's in English, it's a simplification of the actual chant, but still...

Six years ago TPTB, (T same PTB still in place at my parish, I might add,) fought me on the appropriateness of the Reproaches. ("Are there no Schutte refrains? Are there no Spirit and Song hymnal?" Scrooge asked.)

At this rate, when I am a hundred and three, on Holy Thursday we may let the congregation sing the Pange Lingua in Latin, and finally retire "Come to the Water" for the sprinkling rite at the Vigil.

Or maybe not.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • WJA
    Kevin in Atlanta, Carl D, MA, Singing Mum: I'm still amazed and grateful we were able to pull it off. We have one man who sang chant in seminary before dropping out, but the rest of us are true amateurs. In the interest of full disclosure, we've been singing Mass VIII since the Feast of the Assumption last year (we switched to the pro defunctis settings everyone knows for Advent and Lent), so we didn't have to learn that on the fly. Still, I think this has to be chalked up to Divine Providence. But Divine Providence works through people, and the people that run this site and contribute to this forum were all agents of that Providence, by providing the resources -- books and essays on how to sing, what to sing, when to sing -- that made our little schola possible. Deo gratias!

G: As to why our parish hadn't celebrated the Triduum in 51 years, it's located in the city's old urban core, which emptied out about 50 years ago as people moved to the new parish in the suburbs. Soon there were too few families to support the Triduum, so the pastor -- who had the care of both parishes -- moved the Triduum to the suburban church.

There was a sudden influx of new parishioners about five years ago, but our pastor -- who was pushing 80 by then and had been doing things the same way for 30+years -- just wasn't up to reviving the Triduum. However, he had kept our beautiful, traditional parish from being shut down by the diocese in the previous decades, and by his reverent celebration of Mass and sound preaching had drawn numerous new parishioners to the parish, so that when he retired last summer, a new, younger priest was able to come in and say, "How about we celebrate the Triduum?" And so we did. Deo gratias!

WJA
  • Pes
    Palestrina, that's about as wonderful as I can imagine. Twelve children choristers, too. *sigh* Your local Catholic culture must be extremely robust. Don't be afraid to tell us how it's done!
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    This was my first Triduum singing in a choir. I'm a convert and held off joining my parish choir while my children were young. So, the whole gruelling, wonderful experience of singing at all the liturgies was a memorable experience. This was also our pastor's first Triduum as a pastor, and he brought a very solemn sense of liturgical tradition (though he is a young priest) that I noted.

My personal highlight was chanting the Synagogue part of the Passion on Good Friday with my pastor and a fabulous young singer (sophomore in high school).
  • Blaise
    The choir of Our Lady of the Atonement (San Antonio) (I'm not in it) sang at the Easter Vigil:

"Sicut servus desiderat" by Palestrina for Holy Communion after the Schola Cantorum sung chant. After this, the people sang a hymn as the deacons cleared the altar.

After the closing hymn and not in place of it (Jesus Christ is Risen Today), the choir sang Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus." The "Chorus" was also sung after the closing hymn on Sunday.
    Also, I delighted in hearing Father chant the Exsultet (in English).

For Good Friday:

The Passion was sang by our music director playing the role of the narrator, the choir with the role of the crowds, another excellent singer singing additional roles (Peter, etc.), and of course, our priest singing the role of Jesus.

"God so loved the world" by Stainer was sung during Holy Communion for Good Friday, Palm Sunday Mass, as well as our para-liturgical choir concert (with Deacon Orr reading the lessons and Fr. Phillips offering the collects and giving the dismissal).

Good, clear, orthodox Catholic sermons, as always, were preached throughout Holy Week, instead of muddy messages offered by other churches. And the men in choir, as always, chanted before the hymns.

Finally, incense (holy smoke!) was used, and the normal liturigcal bells replaced the rather relatively loud bell used during Lent. And "Alleluia! Christ is risen! The Lord is risen indeed! Alleluia!" replaces "Bless the Lord who forgiveth all our sins...(Lent)" and "Blessed be God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...(all other seasons)" until and including Pentecost.

One thing I've never noticed in previous years was the people on Easter Sunday went before Mass to collect the holy water where the paschal candle was dipped in at the Vigil.
  • Thank God we all survived!

Holy Thursday:
    Lift High the Cross
    Kyrie & Gloria from Mass for two choirs and two organs (Widor)
    Ubi caritas (Duruflé)
    Ave verum corpus (Byrd)
    Sanctus, Mortem tuam, Agnus Dei XIII (chant)
    Communion proper

Good Friday:
    Christus factus est (chant)
    Passion according to John (Victoria)
    Miserere mei (Lotti)
    Adoramus te Christe (Dubois)
    Popule meus (Victoria)
    Christus factus est (Bruckner)

Easter Vigil:
    Exultet chanted
    Gloria & Agnus Dei from Mass for two choirs and two organs (Widor)
    Gospel chanted
    Vidi aquam (Victoria)
    Salvation is Created (Tchesnokoff)
    Communion proper

Easter Sunday:
    Kyrie, Gloria & Agnus Dei from Mass for two choirs & two organs (Widor)
    Vidi aquam (Victoria)
    Salvation is Created (Tchesnokoff)
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    For me Triduum was totally in God's hands.
    Holy Thursday was glorious. Sang in a choir conducted by Richard Fitzgerald at St. Bernadettes outside of Washington, DC.
    Favorite Piece was "Oh The Mystery Passing Wonder" by Robert LeBlanc
    But for me, the rest of Triduum was orchestrated outside of Church.

Spent Good Friday trying to find money and housing for a 'soon-to-be' homeless family, and didn't attend any liturgies...except the mysterious evening of having this little family to dinner at our house. It was actually perfect. They are terribly desperate.
    Favorite music: Listening to their children laugh and play with our dogs. Their father has never seen them enjoy themselves that much.

Holy Saturday...long rehearsal for Easter but then realized the greater good was in skipping Easter Vigil (supposed to be singing not conducting) to continue to try to raise money to rent this little family an apartment. Spent the evening shopping for Easter baskets for their children....Favorite music was the $500 deposited into an account for them to rent an apartment by people on Facebook (of which Daniel Page was one. Many thanks, Daniel.)

Easter Sunday, I will get to conduct my girls at mass. As soon as I finish the program. Favorite piece tomorrow will be all of them as long as they are performed with care, grace, focus and joy.
    But I will be distracted and worried, I know, because on Easter Sunday, my little family will lost their temporary housing and become homeless. Unless I can get my crazy plan to work out by Monday.

If you would like to help my little holy family - I just met them on Monday - here's the link. After tomorrow, they will be living in their van and probably, my basement. No amount is too small and I hope no one minds this shameless plug. Mea Culpa

You can read a bit about their troubling story here:

http://rentfordavinci.chipin.com/mypages/view/id/b1db64dc08bee311
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • For me the most positive thing is that it happened at all: the third consecutive year of the only traditional Triduum in New York City. The ceremonies were beautiful and the music glorious. It was humbling and gratifying to be a small part of it. We were blessed to have with us Monsignor Mauro Cionini, Second Secretary of the Permanent Observer Mission of the Holy See to the United Nations, as well as Father Michael Barone of Newark and our own parochial vicar, Father Louis Van Thanh, who chanted the Exsultet so beautifully. The musical programme:

Church of the Holy Innocents, New York City
    Missal of Blessed John XXIII (1962)

All propers sung from the Graduale Romanum (1961)

Maundy Thursday 7:30 p.m.
    Ordinary: Missa super Adieu mes amours by Adam Rener (c. 1485–c. 1520)
    Motet at the Offertory: Caro mea by Mathieu Gascongne (fl. early 16th c.)
    Motet at the Communion: O salutaris Hostia by Pierre de la Rue (c. 1452–1518)
    Communion Hymn: Adoro te devote

Good Friday
    Office of Tenebrae 12:00-2:15 a.m.

Sung according to the Antiphonarium Romanum (1961 Breviary)
    Vigil continuing until 5:00 a.m.

Solemn Afternoon Liturgy 3:00 p.m.
    Passio secundum Johannem (turba parts) by Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548–1611)
    Improperia by Victoria
    Crux fidelis by Guillaume-Gabriel Nivers (c. 1632–1714), arr. Pedro d'Aquino (alternating with chant hymn Pange lingua gloriosi lauream)
    Motet: Crux fidelis attrib. King John IV of Portugal
    Hymn Vexilla Regis prodeunt (alternate verses) by Guillaume Dufay (1397?–1474)
    At the Communion: Psalm 21 (tonus in directum and Vere languores nostros by Victoria

Easter Vigil 9:30 p.m.
    Ordinary: Mass for Five Voices by William Byrd (c. 1540-1623)
    Motet at the Offertory: Dum transisset Sabbatum by Thomas Tallis (c. 1505-1585)
    Motet at the Communion: In resurrectione tua by Byrd
    Lauds for Easter Morning
    Marian Antiphon: Regina Caeli (tonus simplex)
    Hymn: Jesus Christ Is Risen Today (Easter Hymn)
    Postlude: Toccata from Symphonie V by Charles-Marie Widor (1844-1937)

Easter Day 10:00 a.m.
    Ordinary: Missa Regina coeli by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (c. 1525-1594)
    Alleluia: Pascha nostrum by Ludwig Senfl (c. 1486-c. 1542)
    Motet at the Offertory: Alleluia Surrexit Dominus vere by Jacquet de Berchem (c. 1505-1567)
    Motet at the Communion: Regina coeli by Palestrina
  • benedictgal
    The huge positive thing was that we did not have "Mary, Did You Know" at our parish for Good Friday! The Stabat Mater prevailed!!!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, heads up everyone, but especially you, tomboysuze. This is a love letter – not your usual sort of love letter – but a love letter, nevertheless:

You were there at our Lord's triumphant entry into Jerusalem, waving palms and olive branches along with everyone else, saying to yourself, "Who is this man, riding on a common donkey? a seer? a prophet? a king, as some are saying?" You saw something that reached to the core of your heart. As the crowds scattered, you saw a beggar standing silently, gazing ahead with his arms outstretched, his children nearby. Looking at him, you wondered how different this man is from the rider on the donkey, yet how utterly similar in countenance. You reached out and offered the beggar what little you had – of your money, your time, your talent.

You were there later that week at the Passover seder, helping to prepare for the feast of unleavened bread and serving the the same man who rode that donkey into the city as well as others gathered with him. The man smiled that you took aside a portion for the poor and homeless, which you later gave to the beggar and his family that, by some strange coincidence, you had taken in.

You were there the following day, when this man was hauled before the authorities and denounced, vilified, and ultimately condemned to suffer death by crucifixion, being forced to carry the cross that would be his destruction through the streets of Jerusalem. You saw this man struggle, bearing the horrid cross; and yet, beneath his obvious pain, the look on his face was a haunting amalgamation of the look he had on his entry into the city and that of the beggar when you first saw him. It struck you just as the man stumbled and fell, and, as others screamed at him while a man rushed up to carry the cross, you stepped silently forward and helped to steady the cross on this other man's shoulder – and the man condemned to die smiled at you as he took your hand and got to his feet and moved on towards the edge of the city.

Unable to do more, you followed the procession to the Mount of Olives and stood at a distance, falling on your knees and burying your face in your hands at the unfolding horrific spectacle, wondering in your own agony and despair, how can I help this man? It broke your heart, when you were told that this man's Mother standing nearby had to witness the abominations and atrocities being committed against her Son. You shook in terror when the man breathed his last, as a sudden storm swept over the scene and lightning tore through the nearly pitch-black skies, scattering most of those gathered there. Rising to your feet to hurry home, you saw the outline of the man's lifeless head hanging oddly to one side against his chest. You thought to yourself, "It is surely a blessing that he is already dead, unlike the other two on crosses who still live." Once home, you invited the beggar and his family inside for the Sabbath, knowing now that you must share and do whatever you could for this hapless family, if only as a token to honor in some small way the events concerning that dead man which you had witnessed the past several days.

All day on the Sabbath, your heart was troubled, for you could not get any of it out of your mind. It was a small but sad blessing that you were helping the beggar and his family, for each time you saw him, images of the king turned to villain filled your head. Thankfully, the beggar and his family were both gracious and kind in return for you help.

The next morning, with the Sabbath now passed by and the city returning to normal following the raucous Passover activities of the preceding week, you ventured out with your girls, to walk in the early sunshine and look for some flowers to brighten your home. You didn't quite understand the commotion of some men running about and saying something about a dead man being risen and seen for awhile – but you hoped ... you hoped and prayed that something like this could be true, even if it was not humanly possible ... but, who could it be? Your girls broke into song as you returned home, where, seeing the beggar standing outside, smiling broadly with his family nearby, you thought, "Could it be true? Could it be that man I saw? O, if only it could be true!"

You remembered then that one of your friends had mentioned that his man had made a cryptic comment once, to the effect that, anything one does for the least of men, that is what one does for him. Reflecting on this afterwards, you realized it might just be true, and, indeed, if anything amazing and wonderful and miraculous and beautiful could be true, this was it. You felt the warmth of the Lord's smile in your heart. You had at last the assurance that He loves you and that you love Him with everything in your being. And you love others as you love Him. There has been no other or greater love than this.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan, you were there, it was you, you saw it all, but you did more than just watch: you felt and heeded the call, the call of God's love for us, through the risen Christ, with the Holy Spirit working in you. God loves you, I love you, we all love you.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • chonakchonak
    It was a pleasure to join the choir at Saint Joseph Cathedral in Manchester, NH for Holy Week services under the musical direction of Eric J. Bermani. Here's a partial list of the works performed:

Tenebrae (Wednesday)

Richard Farrant: Call to Remembrance
    Tomas Luis de Victoria: Popule meus
    Hymn: O Sacred Head, Surrounded (Passion Chorale)
    Anton Bruckner: In monte Oliveti
    Plainchant (Latin/English) Attende, Domine
    J. Michael Haydn: Tenebrae factae sunt
    Hymn: Ah, Holy Jesus (Herzliebster Jesu)
    Giovanni Croce: O vos omnes
    Richard Proulx: Canticle of Peter
    Leo Abbott: Canticle of Zechariah (metrical setting to Forest Green)
    John Lee: Christ became obedient for us
    Plainchant (Latin/English): Parce, Domine

Holy Thursday

Everett Titcomb: (organ) Prelude on Ave Verum Corpus
    Richard Rice: Entrance Antiphon from the Simple Choral Gradual
    Hymn: Lord, who at thy first Eucharist (Unde et Memores)
    Alexander Peloquin: "Faith, Hope, and Love"
    Plainchant: Ubi caritas
    Brubaker: O Blessed Savior
    Communion antiphon: Mode V, with fauxbourdon
    Palestrina: Panis Angelicus
    Plainchant: Pange lingua gloriosi

Good Friday

Hymn: O Sacred Head, Surrounded (Passion Chorale)
    Hymn: O Cross of Christ (St. Flavian)
    Jacques Berthier: Jesus, Remember Me
    Claudio Monteverdi: O crux benedicta
    Theodore Dubois: Adoramus te Christe
    Antonio Lotti: Vere languores nostros
    Hymn: Sing, My Tongue, How Glorious Battle (Picardy)
    Palestrina (attrib.): O bone Jesu

Holy Saturday

Exsultet: chanted by deacon
    All nine readings
    Psalm settings by Columba Kelly, OSB
    Plainchant: Gloria VIII (de Angelis)
    Litany of the Saints: ICEL
    Andrea Gabrieli: "Alleluia" from the motet "Filiae Jerusalem"
    Richard Hillert: Festival Canticle: Worthy Is Christ
    Melchoir Vulpius: Good Christians All, Rejoice and Sing
    Handel: "Hallelujah, Amen" from "Judas Maccabaeus"
    Hymn: "The Clouds of Night Are Passed Away" (Lasst Uns Erfreuen)
    (3 hrs 15 min!)
  • canadashcanadash
    Our Deacon sang the long form of the Exultet and it did not disappoint. I closed my eyes and enjoyed every moment.

We sang Franck's Dextera Domini for offertory for the Vigil and in the morning.

Over the entire Triduum there were very few hiccups. This is due to a pastor who moves and directs with grace and dignity.

My sons and a soprano sang the gregorian Resurrexit on Easter morning.

I did not have a voice, literally, from Thursday to Sunday. I think God is telling me something, but it all went well. I'm indebted to my young sons for stepping in when I needed help.

Happy Easter to all.

• Heath
    Richard, where might I find the Proulx Canticle?
  • chonakchonak
    @Heath, sorry, I don't know; but I assume GIA sells everything he wrote.
  • JennyJenny
    Well, we had nothing so glorious as most of these programs but we did have the Byrd Ave Verum for Good Friday (communion), the chanted Vidi Aquam for both Saturday and Sunday and the sung sequence (English) for the first time ever in our parish. Several huge steps forward. Next year, the Reproaches!
  • redsox1
    The Durufle Ubi Caritas was sung beautifully by liturgical choir. The schola was fabulous on Good Friday, singing works of Tallis, Anerio, Powell, and Chilcott. We had brass at two Masses on Easter Sunday, complete with the Handl "Haec est Dies" and Richard Proulx's Psalm for Easter Day based on "O Filii et Filiae." It's a very straightforward, yet powerful setting. We did Jim Biery's English setting of the Sequence chant with refrain. We inserted Cochereau-esque interludes on full organ, including 32' reed. The best part about the Triduum, however was that this parish, for the first time since the Novus Ordo, got Introit and Communio throughout! It's now part of what we do. I'm so pleased at the positive reponse we've gotten. We also had a retired Cardinal as celebrant at our choral Mass, which wasn't too bad, either!
  • veromaryveromary
    We had one priest and two cantrices for the Triduum and then Easter Sunday. It was my first time singing in choir for the Triduum, and our chant/liturgical guru was unavailable so it was kind of exciting - flipping pages trying to navigate the rubrics. Also our magnificent priest singing everything - the Passion with the different pitched voices, the exsultet, the works. But I guess we managed it - the chant in the Liber is great and doesn't need much added. No polyphony, unless you count the Praetorius round Jubilate and the drone thing my sons (aged 8 and 10) did for O Filii. The turn outs fitted our modest premises. No organ - no one really up to playing it.

Being short staffed so to speak there was the option of calling it off this year and people heading into the city, but I'm glad we did it, even on that small scale. Hopefully we can attract more volunteers before the next big feast.
  • ryandryand
    Children's schola singing Latin ordinaries, including Kyrie from Missa de Angelis.

Priest chanting the mass, OF, ad orientem.

SEP propers throughout.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    We had a measure of cooperation among the Spanish choir, the lady who sings at the Saturday Vigil, and me--the first time we've done anything together--although I think we took the Spanish folks out of their comfort zone by asking them to sing some of the Responsorial Psalms at the Easter Vigil. They ended up refusing to participate at the Vigil because (A) they only sing the "four-hymn" sandwich at ear-splitting volume at their Mass and (B) they come in from another town and didn't want to make a 60-mile round trip to sing one song. So, they sang their four songs on Holy Thursday and everyone was happy.

For the second year in a row, we had the Reproaches (sung by yours truly) on Good Friday--Aristotle Esguerra's setting last year and Richard Rice's this year.

At the Vigil, we started at 8 PM instead of sunset, our deacon sang the full Exsultet, albeit to a simple tone, and we had all seven Old Testament readings.
  • Hey Heath, you've become a tradition! We sang "The Wisdom of God" for the Mandatum second year in a row, augmented by Richard Rice's second proper psalm.
    And, unlike the Vatican, we seem not to have political issues with our own American composers: "Ubi caritas" by Jos. Gentry Stephens, "Tantum ergo" by Kevin Allen and an English "Ego sum panis vivus" by some local ignoble songsmith.
    And, for the doubters, the revised J. Michael Thompson quasi-Byzantine/organum
    "Exsultet" (how WLP spells it, would someone clarify this ala a capella for me?) was quite well-received, with the pastor chanting his portion (and a bit more!) very smooth.
    You know my pastor's favorite portion? The unaccompanied chant of Crux fidelis during the veneration, which almost took up a half hour and only required about two minutes of Stainer's "Is it nothing to you..." to finish up.

Again, for any potential detractors, none of this is intended as crowing. Things aren't perfect here and I mean not to portray them as such. I am so grateful for all my musicians in this four parish merge, with all their knowledge and dedication.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Glad to hear it, Charles! Not sure if you have the (slightly) revised version; I tinkered with a few spots on the first page last April. If I remember, I'll pass it along tomorrow when I'm in the office.

The Triduum here was faaan-tastic! I'm so blessed to be surrounded by talented young people, a beautiful chapel, and faithful priests.

Holy Thursday (hand-selected choir of about 40)

Entrance: Now Let Us Glory (Tietze text, set to OLD 100th)
    Kyrie/Gloria: ICEL
    (Organ off until Gloria of Easter Vigil)
    Weber psalm
    Mandatum: The Wisdom of God (yours truly)
    American Gradual chants to fill the rest of the foot-washing
    Offertory: Ubi Caritas, chant and Durufle
    ICEL chants
    Communion: English adaptation of Hoc Corpus
    Post-communion: Ave Verum (Byrd)
    Pange: chant
    Tantum: Kevin Allen (we had done the C major one for 2 years, and did the one from 2009(?) Colloquium this year . . . seriously, is anything more beautiful than this piece?)

Good Friday (2 services: 3:00 (chamber choir of 16), 7:30 (come one, come all, about 20)

Veneration: Crux Fidelis/Wondrous Love (my arrangement), Reproaches to fill in
    Communion: O Sacred Head (Bach), O Come and Mourn (Faber/Marier, arr. Morber--trio of ladies . . . beautiful!), Stabat Mater (simple chant, Pluth translation)
    Post-Communion: Adoramus te (3:00--Gasparini, 7:30--Viadana) (both lovely!)

Easter Vigil (festival choir, about 30)

Exsultet: priest nailed it!
    Psalms: set in chant-style by a student, 7 psalmists
    Gloria: Mass of Wisdom (Janco)
    Gosp. Accl.: Canticanova setting . . . sets "Easter Alleluia"
    Litany of Saints: chant
    Springs of Water: Proulx, arr. Morber
    Baptisms: punctuated by "O filii" Alleluia
    Sprinkling: I Saw Water, Rice
    Confirmation: Hymn to the Holy Spirit, Currie (GIA)
    Offertory: Awake, O Wintry Earth, Bach (edition by St. James Music Press), organ, oboes, strings, brass
    Mass of Wisdom acclamations
    Weber communion chant
    JC Risen Today, arr. James Biery
  • BenBen
    This may be a little late, but here's some highlighs:

We had a lovely setting of the Ubi Caritas by Ola Gjeilo on Holy Thursday, as well as lots of latin polyphony and many other dignified motets, including Victoria's O Vos Omnes, Victora's Ave Verum Corpus, as well as a few modern choral works, including a lovely setting of John 3:16 (Chilcott). I wish I could find my program, and I could put up the entire list of what was sung. It was wonderful.

But one major piece of good news: We finally did away with that horid post baptismal ditty that is far to common in american parishes. I was suprised it stuck around this long, with the quality of the rest of the music. But alas, it's gone!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Which post-Baptismal ditty are we talking about?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    Would you be talking about "You have put on Christ..." No. 244 in Ritual Song by Howard Hughes? One of my choir members refers to it as, "The March of the Trolls." I would like to trash it, but can't as long as we are using this hymnal.
  • BenBen
    That's the one, Charles.

Which one? Ha, hear it once, never forget it, especially that conclusion, if played as written. Luckily in years past, our organist has toned it down quite a bit, it wasn't his favorite either. He said he pretty much re-harmonized it to make it more bearable. :) Listen to it and view it.

You'll quickly understand our disdain, Ryan, after clicking the links.
  • CharlesW
    There were 9 baptisms at the vigil, so I had to play it nine times. I use the first half of it only, and tone it down, as well. I would like to find another and better version set to those words, but haven't run across a good replacement.