SAB rhythmic O Sons & Daughters/O Filii
  • GambaGamba
    For anyone else who may have tenors traveling in Eastertide: here is a version I put together as a one-rehearsal anthem for this Sunday, with John Mason Neale's English translation.

I have used the rhythmic form of the melody, as heard here, since it puts the accents on the right syllables and goes happily trucking along much better than the smoothed-out 6/8 version that plagues our hymnals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjFezL5KdY

You'll note also that for ease of learning, there are only four settings of the verse to learn:
    1/5: Sopranos alone
    2/6: SA, mostly in 3rds
    3/7: SAB in harmony.
    4/8: S/B in unison, two octaves apart (tenors if present can fill the missing octave; altos sing organum at 4th below sop).
    9: Same as 3/7, plus descant for solo sop.

And the refrain is printed after each verse to prevent griping about page turns.

If anyone wants the XML or .sib to put in Latin words or otherwise tinker, send me a message.
  • cesarfranck
    Will be using soon! Thank you.
  • GambaGamba
    You may want to make a few changes in the solo sop part in the final verse, as follows:

M. 194 b. 3: Sings better if this is also a G.
    M. 201: Both E-flats should be E-naturals.
    M. 210: Both E-flats should be E-naturals.

I’ll eventually make a corrected version. It was a rush job.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • Caleferink
    Didn't see this in time for this year, but I've already downloaded the file for consideration for next Easter. Thank you!