Marian music suggestions for Holy Saturday
  • PLTT
    I am putting together a paraliturgical "Hour of the Mother" service (cf. Directory of Popular Piety 147) for Holy Saturday morning. I'm looking for suggestions on Marian pieces that can be sung. There can be a couple of choral pieces, but there needs to be several congregational ones. However, I don't know many Marian texts (aside from the Stabat Mater) that deal with the Virgin on Good Friday-holy Saturday or deal with similar themes. I'm using some Italian and Spanish resources but the music suggestions/offerings there aren't the best.....
  • tomjaw
    The Sorrowful mysteries office hymn, http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/BVM/InMonteOlivis.html

A Dominican melody can be found in the Matutinum 1936, the roman melody can be found here on pg. 320* https://gregobase.selapa.net/source.php?id=23&images=1&index=40.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Liam
    Sources may likely be based on Spanish devotional music texts - Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, (whence the Spanish Christian name of Soledad), Our Lady of Solitude, is the title of the BVM associated with this.

PS: Another aspect of this devotion was a typically very long (by the standards of norteamericanos, that is) sermon in the latter half of Good Friday, el Sermón de la Soledad.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • a_f_hawkins
    There are Byzantine texts referred to here, of laments at the tomb {“encomi” o lamenti funebri della Vergine}. I have seen some of that translated into English in Orthodox liturgical books. [And being Byzantine they would have associated chant]
  • a_f_hawkins
    There is a lengthy text here, with a useful introduction. And I found a choice of chant (attached).
  • PLTT
    Thanks so much for the links! I should've mentioned that I did see several Eastern resources and some of the newer Italian/Spanish stuff is verbatim or borrowed from it. But while opening to using a bit of it (or an extract), I was hoping to get something more from the Latin/Western tradition, rather than borrow from a different ritual tradition. Furthermore, the service is puncuated by prayers and readings (think Lessons and Carols) and so different texts would be ideal.
  • a_f_hawkins
    [Red herring alert, and oversimplification:] I prefer, in general, the Eastern approach of reflecting on the sufferings of Our Lord through the eyes of his mother, to the Western approach of reflecting on the sufferings of Our Lady in watching the agony of her Son.
  • Liam
    Well, there is another approach, which also reflecting the the suffering of Our Lord in beholding the suffering of Our Lady.

For me, I reflect on the bookends of Our Lord's certain knowledge about his suffering, and perhaps Our Lady's uncertainty about the details of that suffering. (I know there are private revelations about Our Lord telling his mother about everything he would undergo, but it seems to me that there are certain knowledge and uncertainty both contribute the the horrors of human suffering, and that Our Lord and Lady together would thereby together experience both.)