Exsultet in English
  • Here is Father Matthew Spencer's setting of the Spanish Exsultet.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In case anyone missed it, here it is again
  • The final year for this translation. Here's a square-note edition that lays out all four options discretely.

Exsultet (Sacramentary 1985, ICEL English) [PDF]
  • benedictgal
    I am hoping that we won't hear Fr. Roc's version again, but, I am dreading that it will happen. I only wish that the CDWDS had email...
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Oh my I just now heard that OCP link. I thought I had heard everything....
  • benedictgal
    Jeffrey, you haven't heard it all until you've heard it live. I need to send this to the CDWDS as soon as possible.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Robin:
    "Unholy tribal dancing, Batman!"
    Batman:
    "Yes, Robin. These people have no taste. Fire up the Bat-musical-heresy-detector-device."
    Robin:
    "It's off the charts, Batman."
    Batman:
    "As I suspected, Robin. The Joker....has... been.... here!"

:: SFX: nana nana naaaaaaaaaa ::
  • My Episcopalian wife/musician looked over after I clicked on the link and said, "That's disgusting...."
  • Bud Clark
    Here's one of mine ... the choir parts are from the Albanian Pontifical (!). I also have the complete traditional text in English in square notes to the Plainsong & Medieval Music Society version, if anyone wants that.

Cheers,

Bud Clark
    San Diego
  • TCJ
    That OCP one is painful. Another reason to avoid OCP if possible, though sometimes pastors won't let anyone avoid them.
  • Bud Clark Apr 12th 2011

Here's one of mine ... the choir parts are from the Albanian Pontifical (!). I also have the complete traditional text in English in square notes to the Plainsong & Medieval Music Society version, if anyone wants that.

Cheers,

Bud Clark
    San Diego

Oh yes, please. Is that the same as the one as until recently available from RSCM? "Rejoice now, all ye heavenly legions of Angels: all high things..."? I've been looking everywhere for it or similar. Can someone also confirm that it is OK for a lay cantor to sing the sursum corda bit? It seems wrong, but I guess there's no actual theological reason why not. It seems to be in all the lay versions herein available.

Thanks ever so much,

Mark
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In case anyone missed it, here it is again

Just hit the "play" button, and you can hear this version of the Exsultet by Roc O'connor.
  • my ears... my ears!
  • eft94530eft94530
    OK for a lay cantor to sing the sursum corda bit?

NO, it is NOT okay.

Go into the church and look at the red book on the altar ("SACRAMENTARY").
    "Deacon or Priest only."
  • WJA
    >>OK for a lay cantor to sing the sursum corda bit?
    >
    >NO, it is NOT okay.
    >
    >Go into the church and look at the red book on the altar ("SACRAMENTARY").
    >"Deacon or Priest only."

I have looked at the English version of the missal several times and while it forbids a lay cantor to sing the dialogue, "My dearest friends ... The Lord be with you," it doesn't forbid the lay cantor to sing the dialogue, "Lift up your hearts." I note that the settings posted above my Mr. Esguerra and Mr. Ford concur with this.
  • NO, it is NOT okay.

I confess I'm looking at the 2002 Missale here, not the present Sacramentary, but it says: "Si vero, pro necessitate cantor laicus Praeconium annuntiat, omittit verba Quaprópter astántes vos usque ad finem invitationis, necnon salutationem Dóminus vobíscum." As the new translation gives it, the instruction is: "If, however, because of necessity, a lay cantor sings the Proclamation, the words Therefore, dearest friends up to the end of the invitation are omitted, along with the greeting The Lord be with you." That would mean that the Sursum Corda is sung by a cantor -- and, indeed, in the printing of the Exsultet the Sursum Corda isn't bracketed off in parentheses as the other portions mentioned are.
  • chonakchonak
    It makes sense to omit the sentence beginning at "Therefore, dearest friends...", because it asks the faithful to pray for "this unworthy minister". The term "minister" belongs properly to the ordained.
  • Thanks everyone for your help. I would of course have to ask for the Book to be taken off the altar first! I too was looking at the passage quoted by Mark Thompson and WJA, which seems to support singing it. To ask a different question - if we laity feel uncomfortable about singing it, is it acceptable to leave it out, or is that wrong? If so, where do we come back in? (Still hoping to be referring to the Plainsong and Mediaeval Music Society version, but time is running out, and it may be Meinrad).
    Regards,
    Mark
  • WJA
    One of the beauties of singing the prescribed ritual texts in accordance with the prescribed rubrics is the freedom *not* to worry.

Holy Mother Church says sing the Exultet and tells you which bits not to sing as a layman. So sing what she tells you and enjoy it!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My understanding is that a non-cleric DOES sing "Lift up your hearts" etc., based on (for instance) the rubrics with the new ICEL translation of the Exsultet