prescribed music for Adoration & Benediction?
  • I direct a youth Schola at a successful parish in southern Britain. Our new parish priest has asked me to direct the music once a month for their Sunday Adoration and Benediction at 5 pm (there is a 6 pm Mass which follows). Is there an officially prescribed liturgy and music for Adoration and/or Benediction? I am guessing there is a Magnificat, and maybe some psalms and a Marian Hymn but no one I talk to seems to have any real idea. Does anyone know about this, or perhaps ideally possess an order of service? I would love to see my Schola singing real chant at this liturgy, not some made-up modern stuff. I have to put this together in the next week, October 7 is meant to be our first appearance.
  • My experience is:
    ** Typically some entrance hymn - anything appropriate either to the season or Eucharistic in nature
    ** O Salutaris for the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
    ** Prayers and music that are consonant with the theme of the adoration. This could include a litany (chanted or spoken), acts of consecration, etc., interspersed with hymns or motets. Usually these are Eucharistic - Ave Verum, Adoro Te, etc..
    ** Possibly a period of silent reflection of some pre-determined length.
    ** Tantum Ergo preceding the Benediction itself.
    ** Benediction
    ** Divine Praises
    ** Adoremus in Aeternum as the celebrant reposes the Blessed Sacrament.
    ** Typically some closing hymn - anything appropriate either to the season or Eucharistic in nature.

Good luck!

Edit:
    Some resources...
    http://romanrite.com/benediction.html
    https://www.cathdal.org/Devotions_and_Eucharistic_Adoration_USCCB.pdf
    https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/Benediction-of-the-Blessed-Sacrament
    http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/HCW/Exposition.pdf
    http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/HCW/HCWE-Introduction.pdf
    Holy Communion and Worship of Eucharist Outside Mass
    Adoremus Hymnal
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen regissør
  • tomjaw
    In the U.K. there was a Benediction Manual and only things from that could be used. I don't believe this applies anymore! (but we and quite a few other places follow the old rules even though we are an NO parish, (with EF community)

From memory (I will look through our parishes copy on Sunday).

Procession in (You could sing a hymn here) we don't!

Blessed Sacrament is exposed, and O Salutaris is sung, this in some chant books has proper melodies for the different seasons, We sing 2 different versions depending on whether we have an organist.

Various prayers can be said (formerly these had to be approved by the bishop and were found in the manual).

The last prayer must be the Prayer for England (this is replaced on one Sunday a month by a longer prayer for England)

Tantum ergo, Benediction, Divine praises, Adoremus... then you could have a closing hymn, Since you are in England it would be customary to have the Marian Anthem.

In the back of the Antiphonale 1949 there are a selection of chants suggested for Benediction (these would be sung before the Prayer for England.

This book will also be useful,
    https://media.musicasacra.com/books/cantus-varii-2018scan.pdf
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • tomjaw
    Here is a copy of the Manual of Prayers Benediction is on pg.250, We have this copy, and a slightly older copy at our Parish.

https://archive.org/details/ManualOfPrayers1953

Oh I see this will be on Rosary Sunday so there is a special prayer on pg. 227 (formerly this prayer had to be used on this day)
  • CharlesW
    We typically follow the format in our missalette.
    Sacrament is exposed.
    Sing O Salutaris...
    Silent adoration - scripture readings, songs, silent prayer and possibly a homily, although we usually do silent prayer.
    Sing Tantum Ergo...
    Divine Praises.
    Sing "Holy God, we Praise Thy Name."

We used to have Stations during Lent followed by Benediction. The Chancery told us to stop doing that because we were coupling an actual liturgy with a devotion. We were told the two are not equal and must not be linked.
  • We used to have Stations during Lent followed by Benediction. The Chancery told us to stop doing that because we were coupling an actual liturgy with a devotion. We were told the two are not equal and must not be linked.

Yes, I noticed that in one of the links in my comment above. It must have been fairly widespread for them to have specifically called it out.

https://www.cathdal.org/Devotions_and_Eucharistic_Adoration_USCCB.pdf
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • tomjaw
    In the U.K. it is common to have Vespers followed by Benediction, during Lent Stations of the Cross followed by Benediction, and in May and October, Rosary followed by Benediction. I don't think we have been told not to do this, but anyway we will claim what we do is E.F. and follow the older books!

We also have processions in May, and All Saints followed by Benediction. As for not being linked, one part ends, candles are lit etc. and Benediction begins... all depend on what joined means.
  • Ah! I think the change is because of the reclassification of benediction as a liturgical function.
  • In England&Wales the Liturgy Office provides several documents found here. Or not found, some things are not where that page says they are, there is this music guide, and more recently this for the recent Eucharistic Congress. Note that there is an official book, probably out of print!
    Ritual Editions pub. John Neale
    2 Volume set
    Volume 1 - Rites 0-9543-0315-6
    Volume 2 - Biblical readings 0-00-599607-4
    [CORRECTION] recently reprinted and available here.
  • Benediction on first Sundays, following the sung Mass.
    Roughly, our schedule
    O Salutaris while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed and incensed
    Ave Maria or seasonal Marian anthem
    Oremus Pro Pontifice
    Silent adoration
    Sing Tantum Ergo
    +
    Divine Praises
    Reposition hymn (most often, Adoremus in Aeternum)
    Recessional (varies)
  • CPDL's Category:Eucharistic songs is expressly for your purpose.

Around these parts too "Holy God we Praise your name" is 'proper'.
  • JL
    In the U.K. it is common to have Vespers followed by Benediction, during Lent Stations of the Cross followed by Benediction, and in May and October, Rosary followed by Benediction.

It is permissible to pray the Rosary, individually or as a group, before the exposed Sacrament. Likewise, it is permissible (and encouraged!) to pray any of the Liturgy of the Hours in the presence of the exposed Sacrament, which would be preceded by exposition and followed by Benediction and reposition. What is not permitted is to expose the Blessed Sacrament merely for Benediction (i.e., without a period of adoration, with or without organized prayer or preaching) and then immediately reposing it. Because the Stations require that at least the leader (and preferably others) move from station to station, it is not compatible with Eucharistic Adoration.

Also, replacing a regularly-celebrated liturgical office with an extra-liturgical devotion during certain months or seasons is highly questionable.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • tomjaw
    JL

We have Sunday Vespers only in Advent and Eastertide, and some Feasts... we have a new parish priest starting soon, so it may become every week.

As for the quote above those places that have Vespers have it every Sunday, I have heard that some are having Vespers before the Blessed Sacrament but this is not common.

Many parishes have seasonal devotions, that are followed by Benediction, most follow traditional devotional styles.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • JL
    That makes much more sense. And I would love to have a regular Sunday (or mid-week) Vespers in my neighborhood. :)
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • canadashcanadash
    Here is a thread regarding the Divine Praises. There used to be a link to Romero's setting. We use that and I like it very much.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/2452/divine-praises-laudes-divinae-in-english/p1
  • ronkrisman
    The PO asked about prescribed music for eucharistic adoration and benediction. While the O Salutaris and the Tantum Ergo have enjoyed long-standing use at benediction during the past several centuries, it should be noted that the 1974 ritual, Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist outside Mass, makes no prescription whatsoever about specific hymns - including these two - to be used in worship of the eucharist outside Mass, only that they be eucharistic in nature.
  • This is most helpful. Thanks, everyone.