Palestrina “Missa Papae Marcelli” for four voices?
  • A professor of mine recently mentioned that a 4-voice edition of Palestrina MISSA PAPAE MARCELLI was created in the 17th or 18th century by Canon Carolus Proske (1794-1861).

(1) Has anyone seen this?

(2) Is the score online?

I don't see how such a thing is possible…

(If possible, please only respond to the questions I asked—not whether somebody thinks this is a good idea or personally agrees with the creation of such an edition, or whether they would have their choir sing from it, etc. etc. etc.)
  • davido
    its on imslp in the palestrina werke, one of the last volumes
  • I haven't read about Proske's role, but here's the link to the Supplement I. There's also Soriano's 8vv version on CPDL.
  • The 4 voice arrangement is by GF Anerio. Soriano, as mentioned, arranged it for 8 voices. The Anerio version would almost certainly have been with organ continuo. Both are published together by AR editions. https://www.areditions.com/two-settings-of-palestrina-s-missa-papae-marcelli-b016.html
  • The version by Soriano (8 voices) was recorded back around 1980 by the all-male William Byrd Choir in the Sistine Chapel. Beautiful recording, I suspect long out of print.