All this pan-Catholic guilt,
    When pedophilic actions
    Smear all the Church we've built.
    When atheists and media*
    Demand all of the truth,
    May we all face the music
    And hand them all the proof.

*the last two syllables sung as one
  • @oldhymns what tunes suit For the Church and the Pope ? I am having difficulty matching the last line.
    Thanked by 1Simon
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Found at hymnary.org: O Lord of Hosts, Be Mindful of Our Pleading (For the Church and the Pope), albeit with just one tune.

The metre is 11.10.11.10.D - however the last quoted stanza above doesn't seem to have 10 syllables in the first line.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • I do not know of any particular tune for the original version of this hymn. I am attaching the original version (the one I learned in sixth grade--1961) that was first published in NEW HYMNS BY S.N.D. (Sisters of Notre Dame) in Liverpool in 1895. It later appeared in McLaughlin and Reilly's STANDARD CATHOLIC HYMNAL (1921). I found two other melodies which I will post separately.
    1700 x 2338 - 619K
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen a_f_hawkins
  • The copy CHGiffen posted from hymnary.org comes is from the AMERICAN CATHOLIC HYMNAL (Marist Brothers, 1913). Interestingly, a different version appears in their 1921 hymnal of the same name. Here it is.
    2466 x 3419 - 1M
  • Here is a version from the 1905 NOTRE DAME HYMN-TUNE BOOK, published in Liverpool, and compiled by Frank Birtchnell and Moir Brown.
    2460 x 3413 - 1M
  • For anyone copying the text as first cited above:
    v4:1 One might mighty voice from all the Church ascendeth,

Fixed. Also,
    v2:1 O Master dear, we sink, and Thou are art Sleeping;

v4:6 Thou are art her life, her sweetness, and her hope,
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen oldhymns
  • I used "Deliver Us, O Lord of Truth" for our more "traditional mass." I planned it months ago for use with the readings (NO), but it was timely for the abuse crisis as well. It is sung to the tune LAND OF REST.

Our "contemporary ensemble" (no choice) sang "The Cry of the Poor" The hebrew "Anawim" (spelling) does not refer to just the monetarily poor. It made me think of the poor that were discarded from the abuse.
  • Josh
    Here are five more Scriptural responsories - again, they aren't set to chant, but could be:

Resp. 5. (Cf. Ezech. 44, 13; Ps. 108, 8)
    R. Non appropinquabit ad me ut sacerdotio fungatur mihi, neque accedet ad omne sanctuarium meum juxta Sancta sanctorum: sed portabit confusionem suam, et scelera sua quæ fecit. V. Fiant dies ejus pauci, et episcopátum ejus accípiat alter.

[R. He shall not come near to me to do the office of priest to me, neither shall he come near to any of my holy things that are by the holy of holies: * But he shall bear his shame, and his wickednesses which he hath committed. V. May his days be few: and his bishopric let another take. * But he shall bear his shame, and his wickednesses which he hath committed.]

Resp. 6. (Zach. 11, 17; Act. 23, 3; 5, 4)
    R. O pastor, et idolum derelinquens gregem: * Percutiet te Deus, paries dealbate. V. Quare posuísti in corde tuo hanc rem? Non es mentítus homínibus, sed Deo. * Percutiet te Deus, paries dealbate.

[R. O shepherd, and idol, that forsaketh the flock: * God shall strike thee, thou whited wall. V. Why hast thou conceived this thing in thy heart? Thou hast not lied to men, but to God. * God shall strike thee, thou whited wall.]

Resp. 7. (Gen. 13, 13; 18, 24; Lam 5, 13)
    R. Homines Sodomitæ pessimi erant, et peccatores coram Domino nimis. * Igitur Dominus pluit super Sodomam et Gomorrham sulphur et ignem a Domino de cælo. V. Adolescentibus impudice abusi sunt. * Igitur Dominus pluit super Sodomam et Gomorrham sulphur et ignem a Domino de cælo.

[R. The men of Sodom were very wicked, and sinners before the face of the Lord, beyond measure. * And the Lord rained upon Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. V. They abused the young men indecently. * And the Lord rained upon Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven.]

Resp. 8. (Ps. 108, 8; Tit. 1, 7: Ps. 108, 7)
    R. Fiant dies ejus pauci, et episcopatum ejus accipiat alter: * Oportet enim episcopum sine crimine esse. V. Cum judicatur, exeat condemnatus. * Oportet enim episcopum sine crimine esse.]

[R. May his days be few: and his bishopric let another take: * For a bishop must be without crime. V. When he is judged, may he go out condemned. * For a bishop must be without crime.]

Resp. 8 (Judges 20, 12. 13; 19, 23. 24)
    R. Cur tantum nefas in vobis repertum est? * Tradite homines qui hoc flagitium perpetrarunt, ut moriantur, et auferatur malum de Israël. V. Nolite, fratres, nolite facere malum hoc: obsecro, ne scelus hoc contra naturam operemini. * Tradite homines qui hoc flagitium perpetrarunt, ut moriantur, et auferatur malum de Israël.

[R. Why hath so great an abomination been found among you? * Deliver up the men that have committed this heinous crime, that they may die, and the evil may be taken away out of Israel. V. Do not so, my brethren, do not so wickedly: I beseech you, commit not this crime against nature. * Deliver up the men that have committed this heinous crime, that they may die, and the evil may be taken away out of Israel.]

Resp. 9. (Matt. 26, 25. 24; Luc. 22, 48)
    R. Judas, qui tradidit eum, dixit: Numquid ego sum Rabbi? Ait illi: Tu dixisti. * Væ autem homini illi, per quem Filius hominis tradetur! bonum erat ei, si natus non fuisset homo ille. V. Jesus dixit illi: Juda, osculo Filium hominis tradis? * Væ autem homini illi, per quem Filius hominis tradetur! bonum erat ei, si natus non fuisset homo ille.

[Judas that betrayed him, said: Is it I, Rabbi? He saith to him: Thou hast said it. * Woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born. V. Jesus said to him: Judas, dost thou betray the Son of man with a kiss? * Woe to that man by whom the Son of man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born.]
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe something based on Luke 17:1-2 or Matthew 18:6.
    Thanked by 2Carol francis
  • francis
    Josh

Pointedly clear, accurate and unchangeable proclamations are in those texts, words that make one shudder; words that move one left or right.
    Thanked by 2Carol eft94530
  • Josh
    I'm grateful for all suggestions and thanks.

May these and all prayers speedily call down God's purifying grace!

Chonak and Carol, if you would refer back to the first part of this thread, you will find that the 3rd Responsory is taken from Matthew 18:6-7.

Here are three more responsories, for a total of twelve (that should suffice) - feel free to set them to music!

Resp. 10. (Apoc. 6, 10; Ex. 10, 7)
    R. Clamabant voce magna, dicentes: * Usquequo Domine, sanctus et verus, non judicas, et non vindicas? V. Usquequo patiemur hoc scandalum? * Usquequo Domine, sanctus et verus, non judicas, et non vindicas?

[R. They cried with a loud voice, saying: * How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge? V. How long shall we endure this scandal? * How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge?]

Resp. 11. (Matt. 13, 41-42; Marc. 9, 43)
    R. Mittet Filius hominis angelos suos, et colligent de regno ejus omnia scandala, et eos qui faciunt iniquitatem: et mittent eos in caminum ignis. * Ibi erit fletus et stridor dentium. V. Ubi vermis eorum non moritur, et ignis non extinguitur. * Ibi erit fletus et stridor dentium.

[R. The Son of man shall send his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all scandals, and them that work iniquity: and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. * There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. V. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished. * There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.]

Resp. 12. (2 Esd. [Neh.] 13, 29; 9, 35. 34)
    R. Recordare, Domine Deus meus, adversum eos qui polluunt sacerdotium, jusque sacerdotale et Leviticum. * Ipsi non servierunt tibi, nec reversi sunt a studiis suis pessimis. V. Sacerdotes nostri et patres nostri non fecerunt legem tuam, et non attenderunt mandata tua. * Ipsi non servierunt tibi, nec reversi sunt a studiis suis pessimis.

[R. Remember them, O Lord my God, that defile the priesthood, and the law of priests and Levites. * They have not served thee, nor did they return from their most wicked devices. V. Our priests and our fathers have not kept thy law, and have not minded thy commandments. * They have not served thee, nor did they return from their most wicked devices.]
    Thanked by 1Carol