NEW HYMN FOR RESPONDING TO ABUSE CRISIS
  • A HYMN FOR HEALING, LOVE, JUSTICE AND TRUTH

This new hymn was written in response to abuse by clergy and churches. Survivors and counselors helped in its creation; it also references Pope Francis’ August 20th letter, using in particular: “If one member suffers, all suffer together with it” (1 Corinthians 12:26). Email me at bcgillette@comcast.net for the hymn text in MS Word and the hymn with music in a PDF. Permission is given for its free use,

My hymns are in Catholic hymnals in the United States and Australia. USCCB staff recently asked to use one of my hymn for immigrants. Pope Francis received a special gift book from the World Methodist Council that had one of my creation care hymns that was also used by the World Council of Churches. My hymn for this Saturday's World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation and three hymns on this Sunday's gospel and epistle readings can be found on my web site of new hymn texts written to well-known hymn tunes: hwww.carolynshymns.com

PLEASE SHARE this hymn with priests, pastors, church musicians, counselors, friends and others who might find it to be helpful. Prayers, including sung ones, and actions are needed to “Bring healing, love and mercy; Bring justice, God of truth.”

O God, When Trust is Shattered
    PASSION CHORALE 7.6.7.6.D (“O Sacred Head, Now Wounded”)

O God, when trust is shattered
    by wolves among your sheep,
    when youth and children suffer,
    when those remembering weep,
    when victims tell their stories,
    when leaders hide abuse,
    bring healing, love and mercy!
    Bring justice, God of truth!

When leaders side with evil,
    when people do their worst,
    may we reach out to victims
    and put their healing first.
    If any member suffers,
    we all will suffer, too.
    Bring healing, love and mercy!

We pray that the abusers
    will learn sin’s awful cost,
    and— making no excuses—
    will know that they are lost.
    Then may they find redemption—
    as we all need it, too.

May all who serve in churches
    be careful, watchful, wise.
    May we prevent abuses
    and hear your children’s cries.
    We pray that institutions
    will seek your way anew.

Tune: Hans Leo Hassler, 1601; harmony by Johann Sebastian Bach, 1729
    Text: Copyright (c) 2018 by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette. All rights reserved.
    Email: bcgillette@comcast.net New Hymns: www.carolynshymns.com

[Admin note: there was a mistake in the spacing when this was posted, making it hard to tell when one verse ended and the next began. I have changed the line-breaks between verses to correct the problem. Best wishes.--admin]
  • It seems to me that this text would work well with the Hymn Tune EWING, to the same meter (common hymn "Jerusalem, the Golden").
  • chonakchonak
    I hate to raise a note of caution about something obviously meant with great concern and compassion, but I'd be careful about recommending the use of a song specifically about crimes of sexual abuse.

If people enter a service specifically related to the topic: e.g., a service of prayer for survivors and victims, etc., then no one would be too surprised by this song. But if this were introduced in a Sunday Mass for the general Catholic population, it might be painful for some survivors to hear. We don't know where people are in their journey of recovery.
  • Schönbergian
    This does seem a bit specific for something meant for more general use.
  • Kathy
    Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cardinals.
    Don't let em wear scarlet or vote for no Pope,
    fund Roman churches or wear ermine copes.
  • This is what happens when you replace nolo episcopari with volo episcopari.
  • MarkB
    Hard for me to take this seriously. Seems like a joke, like a parody song that would be posted on the Ostensibly Catholic Press parody Twitter account.

No way would I use it for anything.

How about some more verses:

When Vigano released his long letter to the press,
    He sent the bishops scrambling and created a mess.
    The Pope has said, "No comment; I will not say a word."
    The Church is left to wonder, "Is this whole thing absurd?"

Cupich said that the Pope has much better things to do
    Like caring for creation and helping migrants too.
    "We will not go down into this crazy rabbit hole.
    These people hate the Pope for he is a Latino."
  • chonakchonak
    ^Keep refining it, MarkB; maybe you can get it to fit the tune for a G&S patter song.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    I am unfamiliar with the author, so I don't want to be nasty and dismiss this work. It could have been written with the best of intentions, I don't know. In fact, I am at a bit of a loss as to what to say about it.
  • Schönbergian
    I will point out, neutrally, that the author has also written hymns on the subject of #MeToo, universal health care in the US, the separation of immigrant children at the border, and global climate change (among a body of works that could probably fill a hymnal on its own - I estimate the total number from the website to be over 200). If nothing else, these would likely become dated pretty quickly.

There's probably a reason we don't sing hymns today about certain characters at the Council of Trent with dubious ideas, or ones praying for King Henry VIII in his time of ecclesiastical questioning.

I don't think it's a joke. My real question is why the author would choose to post it here, of all places on the Internet.
  • davido
    The best hymns deal with profound topics using profound language.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • When would one sing it (if one did)?
    It is typical of a genre of 'hymns' that focus on social problems or have social, political, or partisan themes. They are not 'hymns' by any stretch of the imagination. There are, sadly, similar 'hymns' in Worship IV and other Catholic 'hymnals'. One would (hopefully) never sing them at mass or any other ritual. One might (if one were hard up) consider them at a prayer meeting that had as its focus the particular scandal du jour.

It is worth repeating that a hymn is directed wholly to God, and focuses on and praises him objectively, his attributes, and his mighty acts. Absent this focus we have no hymn. And a 'not hymn' is categorically inappropriate at any of the Church's ritual observances.

(Oh, and singing this ditty or any other to Passion Chorale would be next to sacrilege.)
  • davido
    I think this topic is profound, but it cries for hymns expressing the age old themes of the faith: hell fire, sin, penitence, forgiveness, purgation, longing for the beatific vision.

And being poetry, hymns need some poetic imagery.

O God of earth and altar seems very relevant these days.
  • Schönbergian
    @MJO: the author does have a scriptural index with specific references for each hymn on the website, so there is at least an attempt made for the majority of what cannot be described as anything but a staggering amount of hymns.

That being said, I find the inclusion of any one of the more "recent" or "political" hymns in a Mass to be unjustified. There just isn't the scriptural context on its own, let alone enough content to displace an old, battle-tested favourite.
  • GambaGamba
    Shoot me for saying this – but Luther, paraphrasing Psalm 12(11). “Ach, Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein”

1. O Lord, look down from heaven, behold
    And let Thy pity waken:
    How few are we within Thy Fold,
    Thy saints by men forsaken!
    True faith seems quenched on every hand,
    Men suffer not Thy Word to stand;
    Dark times have us o'ertaken.

2. With fraud which they themselves invent
    Thy truth they have confounded;
    Their hearts are not with one consent
    On Thy pure doctrine grounded.
    While they parade with outward show,
    They lead the people to and fro,
    In error's maze astounded.

3. May God root out all heresy
    And of false teachers rid us
    Who proudly say: "Now, where is he
    That shall our speech forbid us?
    By right or might we shall prevail;
    What we determine cannot fail;
    We own no lord and master."

4. Therefore saith God, "I must arise,
    The poor My help are needing;
    To Me ascend My people's cries,
    And I have heard their pleading.
    For them My saving Word shall fight
    And fearlessly and sharply smite,
    The poor with might defending."

5. As silver tried by fire is pure
    From all adulteration,
    So through God's Word shall men endure
    Each trial and temptation.
    Its light beams brighter through the cross,
    And, purified from human dross,
    It shines through every nation.

6. Thy truth defend, O God, and stay
    This evil generation;
    And from the error of their way
    Keep Thine own congregation.
    The wicked everywhere abound
    And would Thy little flock confound;
    But Thou art our Salvation.

https://hymnary.org/hymn/ELH1996/page/724
  • Gamba -
    A good and clever choice!

Luther did his very best (which was pretty good!) when translating historic office hymns and liturgically-related texts. However, as evidenced by your above example, he did pen his share of partisan hymnody. Your example teeters rather transparently on the partisan issues of the day while giving a relatively dramatic, if polemical, casting of the psalm at hand. This is not the only example of Luther's having suborned a psalm to suit his polemical purposes.

Psalm XII, Salvum me fac, a paean extolling the Fatherly attributes of God, while lamenting faithlessness (of the house of Israel) has become an almost undisguised tirade against the Catholic world and its threat to Luther and his faithful remnant: 'May God root out all heresy / And of false teachers rid us', or 'The wicked everywhere abound / And would thy little flock confound; / But thou art our Salvation'. This is a masterful abduction of scripture for contemporary partisan polemics.

Of course, one could, if one wished, argue that certain of the psalms themselves are not without a definite polemical bent. Luther was surely adept at appropriating this element for his own context.

One notes that, on the whole, the various English verse versions of the psalms are generally lacking in this blatant confessional bias. For sheer poetic beauty the psalms as translated into verse by Sir Philip Sydney and his sister are without peer.
  • Josh
    Here are some Scriptural responsories. They aren't set to chant but I'm sure they could be:

Resp. 1. (Deut. 18, 20; cf. Deut. 18, 12; Apoc. 20, 10)
    R. Propheta qui arrogantia depravatus voluerit loqui in nomine meo, quæ ego non præcepi illi ut diceret, aut ex nomine alienorum deorum, interficietur. * Propter istiusmodi scelera delebo eum. V. Et pseudopropheta cruciabuntur die ac nocte in sæcula sæculorum. * Propter istiusmodi scelera delebo eum.

[R. The prophet, who being corrupted with pride, shall speak in my name things that I did not command him to say, or in the name of strange gods, shall be slain. * For these abominations I will destroy him. V. And the false prophet shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. * For these abominations I will destroy him.]

Resp. 2. (Cf. Mal. 2, 7-9)
    R. Labia sacerdotis custodient scientiam, et legem requirent ex ore ejus, quia angelus Domini exercituum est. Tu autem recessisti de via, et scandalizasti plurimos in lege: * Dicit Dominus exercituum. V. Propter quod et ego faciam te contemptibilem, et humilem omnibus populis, * Dicit Dominus exercituum.

[R. The lips of the priest shall keep knowledge, and they shall seek the law at his mouth: because he is the angel of the Lord of hosts. But thou hast departed out of the way, and hast caused many to stumble at the law: * Saith the Lord of hosts. V. Therefore shall I also make thee contemptible, and base before all people, * Saith the Lord of hosts.]

Resp. 3. (Matt. 18, 6-7)
    R. Qui scandalizaverit unum de pusillis istis, qui in me credunt, expedit ei ut suspendatur mola asinaria in collo ejus, et demergatur in profundum maris. * Væ homini illi, per quem scandalum venit. V. Væ mundo a scandalis! Necesse est enim ut veniant scandala: verumtamen * Væ homini illi, per quem scandalum venit.

[R. He that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea. * Woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh. V. Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless * Woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh.]

Resp. 4. (Gal. 1, 7-8; Matt. 5, 19)
    R. Sunt aliqui qui vos conturbant, et volunt convertere Evangelium Christi: sed licet nos aut angelus de cælo evangelizet vobis praeterquam quod evangelizavimus vobis, * Anathema sit. V. Qui solverit unum de mandatis istis minimis, et docuerit sic homines, * Anathema sit.

[R. There are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ: but though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, * Let him be anathema. V. He that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, * Let him be anathema.]
  • CharlesW
    Last year I attended an AGO meeting at a Unitarian Universalist church. The dinner, as in most AGO functions, really was a case of the insufferable eating the inedible. I remarked to an associate that it looked like dinner at an assisted living facility. We were the youngest people in the room and were both late sixties at the time.

After the table spread before our enemies, we went into the "sanctuary" for a concert of UU music. There were hymns similar to the original post all concerned with "social justice" issues - "social justice" being a code word for why can't I do as I please with no criticism or condemnation from religion. There was even an anthem by a UU composer, famous in her own pond about welcoming LGBT people. Hope I got that right because those group designations using only letters tend to sound and look like demented alphabet soup. We did not get coloring books for all and safe spaces. My colleague turned to me afterwards and said, "They're a bunch of old hippies."
    Thanked by 2Carol MNadalin
  • Carol
    Love your turn of phrase "the insufferable eating the inedible." I have a few friends who are UU and they are definitely activist types who are concerned about "social justice." Not quite sure I agree with all your characterizations here, which seem a bit harsh. But your old hippie comment is generally accurate.

• CharlesW
    You had to be there... I am actually being kind.

They have the casework and console for a Pilcher tracker that had been abandoned for some years in a university. All the pipes were damaged or destroyed. A local builder replaced all the pipes, except for the display pipes in the case that are heavily stenciled. The case is quite beautiful. The new pipes supposedly sound like what the builder thinks a tracker Pilcher might have sounded like. It doesn't sound bad at all, but is about as historic as the "historic" instruments at Oberlin. Not historic at all and too new for that designation. I told one of my friends that it is too nice an organ to waste on pagans. But maybe pagans need good organs too.

• Carol
    Okay, I have been in 3 UU Fellowship buildings and they are all very modern. Each had a grand piano and I have peeked in their hymnal. It is interesting how many old time Protestant hymns are in there. It struck me that deep within each soul is the longing for the One True God, even when the person is unaware of it.
  • CharlesW
    They are a mixture of beliefs. Some do have a kind of faith within. Others are totally agnostic if not atheist. Interestingly, they sing some of the Bach hymns with altered words and the "old favorites" have re-written texts, as well.

They also have a very modern building. The vestibule is large and serves as an art gallery for local and visiting exhibitions. Every social, sexual, or political cause that conservatives like myself would find reprehensible seems to hold meetings there, since they make their building available for that. They are nice people after a fashion, but seem to go into SJW mode over every little thing. Some people love to be offended, I guess.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    SJW? Do I want to know what this stands for?
  • CharlesW
    SJW = social justice warrior. They are similar to what we called similar types some years ago - little old ladies in tennis shoes who showed up for every protest against anything and everything.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    You forgot to say they are carrying a guitar case, if you want to complete the stereotype. Actually, this does describe one of my UU friends to a T.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    O Lord,
    whose only begotten Son
    showed his zeal for your house in decisive action,
    and who overturned the tables of the greedy,
    grant, we beseech you,
    that his zeal and fortitude may strengthen your Church
    to fight the evils of sexual exploitation,
    console its victims,
    and bring repentance to its perpetrators.
    Through Christ our Lord.
    Thanked by 3eft94530 Carol KyleM18
  • Parce, Domine, parce populo tuo; ne in aeternum irascaris nobis.
  • KyleM18
    These past weekends were the bread of life discourse, so both me (organist) and the DM thought it not appropriate to sing anything about the scandal. We figured the homilist would be talking about it, so we wanted to choose hymns based on the readings.

That being said, I personally would rather not sing social justice hymns, simply because I don't feel that they properly suit the Mass. I agree that they don't put enough focus on God as a hymn should, and often times they are too casually written. This one especially bugs me. It is written in far too casual language for my liking. I also agree that the hymn tune does not properly fit the lyrics. Yes, I get PASSION CHORALE is a "penitential-season" hymn, but just singing the lyrics to that tune, it doesn't quite "fit".

If I may suggest an idea, maybe someone could write a good text for a litany of traditional form, where the responses are "have mercy upon us." I'd say that would be a better idea than a hymn...
  • francis
    THE Hymn Above

Not appropriate for liturgy
    It’s just a silly ditty
    Social Justice is
    The (godless) religion of the state
    It’s high time we put on
    Sackcloth and ashes
    And wear hearts of penitence
    Before it’s too late.
  • Kathy
    Hymns to the Holy Spirit are always lovely.
  • francis
    Sing em now, Kathy, cause the fire of the HS that’s coming isn’t going to be very conducive to singing anything IMHO.
  • MarkB
    So we won't be singing Haugen's "Send Down the Fire of Your Justice"?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kathy
    Heh.

Francis, I have 6 hymn writing patrons.

St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John of the Cross, because of their sublime poetry.

St. Peter Damian, because of his fine images of the mediation of the Blessed Mother.

St. Ephrem, who took heretical hymns, shook the words out of the tunes, and wrote orthodox texts, thus beating the rascals at their own game.

Pope St. Gregory the Great for obvious reasons.

But more and more I find myself leaning on St. Ambrose, who wrote hymns specifically for his people to encourage them in troubled times, as St. Augustine tells us in his Confessions.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Carolyn, I think your hymn is powerful. Social justice is a core value in our Catholic faith.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • "Social justice" may give warm fuzzies, but it isn't the crux of our Faith. If our focus is on God - where it SHOULD be, "social justice" follows.
  • ,,,where it SHOULD be......follows.
    Hear, hear!
  • "social justice" follows
    The awkward questions come up when it does so at a very great distance.
  • SJW = social justice warrior.

SJW= Society of Jesus Wannabe.
  • The only hymn appropriate at Mass right now is Faith of Our Fathers and it should be sung weekly.

• We are happy to hear the new song, "O God, When Trust is Shattered," was sung in a service at the University of Notre Dame. Beyond God being glorified, what is important is the faithful who are survivors of abuse and their families have found comfort when they hear this hymn in churches that have been silent for too long to their pain. We are commanded to love God and neighbor by the Head of the Church. Our liturgy and hymns (and comments by all here) should reflect that loving spirit.
  • Carolyn,

When you say that we're commanded to love God and our neighbor by the Head of the Church, what do you do with these examples of such love?

"You white-washed sepulchers"
    "You brood of vipers"
    " Whereto art thou come?"
    "It would be better for him if he had never been born."
    "Is there none to return thanks to God but this foreigner?"

I hope that affirming the other in his own self-image isn't what you mean by "love". Similarly, I hope "feeling the pain" isn't what you mean by "love". These might be examples of one aspect of love, maybe, but they don't belong, properly speaking, at Mass. Remember that Mass isn't anthropocentric.

I wonder. What "service" was in progress when the this song was sung?

[I should have added earlier]

Each of these examples show love, but not self-affirmation, because God is love.

Additionally, it should be noted that social justice, properly understood, isn't what most people mean by the term nowadays.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds rather warm and fuzzy with no real substance beyond, "what I feel." Mass is not about feelings.
  • Carolyn, as a Methodist author, I'm not sure you're in any position to lecture us on what Catholic hymnody should represent. As mentioned, Mass (and the hymnody contained inside) is not anthropocentric and certainly not only meant to "comfort" individuals.

I feel the concerns raised by other users here, as well as myself, are justified and not gratuitous.
  • When I was a lad we sang plenty of hymns, but never at Mass. The Westminster Hymnal, which was the only one I knew of, started by saying hymns are not for singing at Mass! So criticism just on the ground of unsuitablity for Mass is misplaced, even though that I think is true.
  • Mass is not about feelings.

It enheartens me when I hear an Easterner say this. That's when I know they're the Real Deal.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ryandryand
    If we’re beholden to sing hymns in the spirit of what the Holy Father deems important, I suggest that this hymn be placed on the back burner (clean energy, please) and replaced with a hymn about the damages caused by plastics on our marine ecosystems.

That is if we are to determine liturgical music based on the spirit of the Holy Father, as Carolyn suggests.

Personally, I would suggest that we instead base all facets of the liturgy upon the Lord and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • ryandryand

Beyond God being glorified...

Loses the entire focus of the Mass.

Any statement regarding liturgy or its music that is preceded by the words “Beyond God being glorified” is de facto null and void.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    There is no such thing as clean coal,
    And the oceans swarm with straws.
    All Republicans are mean souls:
    Mercy triumphs over laws.
    Make the church a great big green fold.
    Sorry for the cardinal's paws.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Kathy, there's nothing here about Trump being a terrible person. That has to be included, too. ;)
  • One of my favorite hymns comes to mind when I think of these trying times the Church is currently experiencing. It is "For the Church and the Pope," composed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur of Liverpool about 1890. The words seem more meaningful today than when they were composed nearly 130 years ago. There are at least a couple of melodies for this fine hymn:

For the Church and the Pope

O Lord of Hosts, be mindful of our pleading,
    O let our prayer find favor in Thy sight
    Hark to Thy Church triumphant interceding,
    Pity Thy Church, that groaneth in the fight.
    O God of Truth, no battle-line can shake her,
    Trusting in Thee, we shall not lose our hope;
    Hast Thou not said that Thou will not forsake her?
    Hear then our prayer for the Church and the Pope.

O Master dear, we sink, and Thou art Sleeping;
    Dark is the night—the waves our vessel fill—
    Wake! wake! O Lord, Thy children here are weeping,
    Speak to the wind and waters: “Peace be still.”
    Let not men say Thy promises are failing;
    Let them not boast Thy Church hath lost her hope,
    Let them not deem the gates of hell prevailing,
    Hear Thou our prayer for the Church and the Pope.

Shepherd of Souls! the wolves are all around us;
    Whisper again, O fear not little flock
    Jesus our King! the enemies surround us;
    Tell us Thy fortress stands upon a rock.
    Show us Thine Angels camping round about us,
    Strengthen our hearts in Faith, and Love, and Hope,
    If Thou art with us, legions shall not rout us,
    None shall prevail o’er the Church and the Pope.

One mighty voice from all the Church ascendeth,
    “Pray for us sinners, holy Mary, now.”
    Lift up your eyes, for God His succor sendeth,
    Mary hath placed her hand upon the prow.
    Star of the Sea! the Church of Christ is calling,
    Thou art her life, her sweetness, and her hope,
    Pray for the souls that waver or are falling,
    Pray for the Church and our Father the Pope.