Mass in Pittsburgh
  • ViolaViola
    Very excited to be making my first ever trip to the USA for a family wedding in July. We'll be in Pittsburgh; where should we go to Mass to hear good music enhancing the lliturgy?
    Thanks in anticipation.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Go to the Cathedral of St. Paul. Pretty good NO liturgies. Fabulous space.
    Thanked by 3Viola canadash CharlesW
  • canadashcanadash
    This place is very cool if you have a moment. I second the Cathedral. Gorgeous!

https://saintanthonyschapel.org/
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Viola
  • CharlesW
    I have only been to the Byzantine cathedral. Will have to check out St. Paul next time I am there.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The pews at the Cathedral of St. Paul are the nicest I've ever seen - and that's just stating one little fact about how great the building is.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ELapisardi
    In addition to St. Paul Cathedral, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Carnegie has a good traditionally-minded music program-- just make sure you go to the 11:30 Sunday Mass, as the music varies markedly depending on which Mass you attend there. St. Bernard in Mt. Lebanon is a beautiful church with a strong music program also. Both of these are Pittsburgh suburbs, but could be close depending on which part of the city you'll be in.
  • JL
    Also, pop into the Pittsburgh Oratory (not far from St. Paul's) for good, strong preaching and nice people--and you can venerate Bl. J.H. Newman's cassock.
  • ViolaViola
    How did Cardinal Newman's cassock get there????
    Thanks for advice. Apparently we will be in the vicinity of a museum called the old mattress factory (the mind boggles)....
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I played a gig there once, many many years ago. Big old brick factory with a freight elevator. Dodgy neighborhood at that time; might be better now.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • JL
    In that case, you're also close to the National Aviary, which is definitely worth a visit. And if you do go to St. Paul's in Oakland, pop into the public library/science museum/art museum/concert hall complex--or just admire the life-size statue of a diplodocus in front of it.