Looking for a Communion duet
  • Hi all,
    I am once again begging for rep assistance!
    I’m singing for a low Mass the day after the Ordination of a friend and I need to figure out something to sing during Communion after the hymn. It’s going to be in a tiny chapel and it should probably be unaccompanied. I am a soprano and the other singer is a soprano who can also sing alto. Any ideas? The “unaccompanied” thing is throwing me off. Thanks so much!
  • Josquin,

Language restrictions?
  • None, I guess? But the rest of the music is Mass of Creation and some hymns, for context.
  • Josquin,

Are you trying to keep stylistic unity (i.e., do you want a duet in the style of Haugen) or are you striving for contrast or..... I guess ..... does that question not even enter into the equation?

How long do you have before you need to have the piece learned?
  • I think part of the problem is that everything I can think of is too highbrow for this particular Mass. Saying so makes me feel like a snob...but I guess we need something CLOSER to the Haugen? I think this request wasn't as cut and dry as I wanted it to be, thanks so much for helping me think through it!! We have until June 8th, but we can learn stuff the day of if we need to (we're both pros).
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Are you familiar with Heath Morber's two collections. Lotsa Lasso in 2pt., English texts.
  • Drake
    Considering that June 8 is the feast of the Sacred Heart this year, perhaps something along the lines of Cor Dulce, Cor Amabile. I believe there is a fairly well known version in the St. Basil Hymnal that, while in 4 parts, would probably also be lovely with just S and A. There are a couple options for it on CPDL.

http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Cor_dulce_(Traditional)
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe Lassus: Tota pulchra es, 2v, from the Pius X Hymnal (1950s).
  • @chonak that is totally perfect!! Thank you all so much!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Dulcis Christe by Grancini is lovely. Available on CPDL. Very doable for SS or SA.
  • Julie,

That's not a capella is it?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hi, Chris. There is an accompaniment, but my daughter and her friend sing it a capella at every year at Good Friday Living Stations, and it sounds very nice. I prefer it accompanied, but for some occasions, a capella seems to fit.

(Funny story about Dulcis Christe is that my son had dinner with some friends the week after Easter in another town, and one of his friends' girlfriend brought up out of the blue the fact that she had attended the Good Friday Stations at St. Killian's and had heard two girls singing a beautiful duet and was totally blown away by it. Said she had never heard anything like it. Hadn't been to church in years and was very moved by their singing.)

Thanked by 2CCooze eft94530