Protestants in Vestments
  • The prayers of the OF mass are unmistakably addressed to God.

The fact that some PIPs think "It's all about me" is symptomatic of a larger problem.

The fact that the various ministers of various OF masses often behave as if it is all about the PIPs (or, sometimes, themselves) is yet another symptom.

I love the EF form of the mass, but it is not immune to the same problem. I've been to a few where it was in full view. I strongly suspect that the most relevant consideration is the fact that those in attendance at (and who minister) an EF form mass are there, to a very large extent, as a result of a well-considered decision and often a significant logistical cost as well. It seems plausible to me (in my arm-chair way) that such people would also have given a little more than average thought to why they are there.
    Thanked by 2SarahJ eft94530
  • Jeffrey,

Yes, God understands Latin.... but Bugnini's point was your second observation: he thinks the Mass is addressed to the people.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Liam
    Or just the dialogues thereof....
  • ghmus7
    My point was this: Trent did not approve of the mass in the vulgar toungue. The only situatuation that is would be allowed was for other catholic churches whose language was not Latin were allowed to continue their practices.
    It is sugar coating to say something like " threat considered this but thought it not the right time..."

The canon below is very clear. (I think 24) the only churches allowed to practice the Mass in any other language that Latin are those of the other cultures which never celebrated the mass in Latin.

although the mass contains great instruction for the faithful people, nevertheless, it has
    not seemed expedient to the Fathers, that it should be every where celebrated in the vulgar
    tongue. Wherefore, the ancient usage of each church, and the rite approved of by the holy
    Roman Church, the mother and mistress of all churches, being in each place retained;

And, the church changed her mind....
    Thanked by 1MarkS