Does anyone know which anglican chant this is?
  • Anyone know which anglican chant this is?

Sol-mi-sol-fa/ mi-re-fa-mi-re-do
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's J. Barnby, No. 671 in The Hymnal 1940.
  • jefe
    Charles; just like a mathematician. Is this the only complete one answer response in the history of the Forum? I looked this one up and it's appropriate for The Nunc dimittis. We can always use another harmonization for Compline, so I'll go away and cook this one up. Tic, toc, tic, toc..... I'm back with the goods. Can you find the one changed chord?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Except in the last final cadence, you have used a C minor chord in place of Barnby's E-flat major ending. However, to avoid the parallel fifths in the tenor-bass lines from the cadence to the repetition of the chant, it might be better to alter the beginning chord of the chant, although neither option seems optimal: (1) tenor begins on G instead of B-flat (creating an upward leap of a major sixth instead of a perfect fouth), alto begins on E-flat rather than on G; (2) tenor begins on (high) E-flat (other voices unchanged). Of the two, I prefer (1), assuming the upward leap does not present too much difficulty for the tenors.

Thanked by 1jefe
  • jefe
    Charles, I was taking my cue from the text. The Barnby is a bit plain and I thought just the one change for Lent, even with parallel motion (with which I never have a woe) gives just a small boost in color without harming the voice leading. If you listen to it, like i did on my Sibelius playback you can hear the difference with the less resolved deceptive cadence. This is the art part; not the technique part.