Richard Keys Biggs
  • Dear musiclovers, once again I turn to you. I am looking for a mass by Richard Keys Biggs. It's official title is 'Mass in honour of Saint Francis of Assisi' for 3 male voices and organ. As it is based on the theme 'Puer natus est' I hope to find it in time for Christmas.
    Dirk Maes
    Voces Capituli
    Belgium
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Oddly, there's a copy at Ave Maria University. But neither the record for that one or the U. of North Texas copy lists a scoring (and so many of these were published in various scorings.)

It looks like this is a job for a private collector.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    JQ, was this SoCal fellow Biggs the one who curated and arranged vocal music from the California Missions?
  • dad29
    He was the father-in-law to Roger Wagner....
  • Dirk, I'll try too get a copy for you from his daughter.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Wow, Paul, thank you very much for trying. I found some masses by Biggs, but the one I am looking for is nowhere to find. If you would get a copy, please include the adress of his daughter. I would love to keep her posted about us singing her father's music.
  • Dear Paul, did you have any luck yet ?
  • Dear Paul, ... Christmas is crawling near ... any luck yet on the mass ?
  • I called his daughter today and she will look for it.
  • great ! Thanks
  • Dear Paul, did you hear anything about the mass ?
  • His daughter is sending me the music.
  • ronkrisman
    My understanding is that McLaughlin & Reilly, the publisher of Biggs' Mass in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, was acquired by the Summy-Birchard Company.

And Summy-Birchard, while still using that name on publications, since 1988 has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., 10585 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025.

One could enquire of Warner/Chappell whether they still have available for purchase the Biggs' Mass setting in question (as well as other works published by McLaughlin & Reilly).
  • Dear Paul, I haven't heard of you since october 9. Any news on the mass by Biggs ? I tried all the suggestions by ronkrisman (thanks !), but alas, no succes.
    Dirk
  • such a pity it didn't arrive in time for christmas this year. Still hope to get it for next year then.

Welcome to the MusicaSacra Forum!

To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.