let's talk money (yikes)
  • I'm thinking that someone needs to tackle a taboo subject: what the Catholic parish should be expected to pay for good music. Not that paying guarantees it. Goodness knows that plenty of good money chases bad music. I'm talking about just covering the opportunity costs of those involved in good music, the money need to truly professionalize the music program. So my questions are:

What should an organist in a medium sized parish get paid per year?
    What about the choir director?
    What should a singer get per liturgy?
    How many paid singers need to be in a choir?
    What should the annual parish budget be for a medium sized parish?
    Should there be a paid music librarian?
    How many of these jobs can be consolidated?

Those are my core questions. Tough ones, I know. But can anyone help me think through these numbers? I know the subject is unseemly in some way (well, I actually don't think so) but I do think we need to start talking about them as a way of thinking realistically here.
  • francis
    Yeow, JT.

This is a very dif subject. If I was independently wealthy, I would require little just to be able to offer my services and play the part, so to speak. However, I have five kids. Catholic music positions don't cut it for supporting a family at this point in time, at least not here in Baltimore. I think you have to scale the pay depending on locale.

The AGO tries to give some guidelines to this area, but I find very few Catholic positions on their boards. I am sure money is one of the reasons. There are very few positions that I would even consider in my own city because I refuse to play the piano for Mass or use Gather. If we all went on strike, maybe they would burn the hymnals? (not likely).

I had a wonderful position as DOM in a Benedictine church. But they were dirt poor. I was hoping to establish an authentic music program, but they couldn't even think of affording one. I regretted resigning, and I imagine they regretted loosing my services.

We recently had a position open at the Cathedral here which was an assistant to the DOM. I think it was offering 30 or 40k and was more than full time, you can be sure. In general, the church doesn't take it's music programs seriously. If it did, it would back them up with money.

I remember applying for a DOM at the Seminary in the 80's. They were offering 12k for a full time music position. I recall that I wrote them a letter gently scolding them.

I had another position that paid close to what a professional should command, but they insisted on the usual banal music. I was hoping to wean them over to 'real' church music. It was hopeless.

In the end, I think I would accept less for a parish that wants authentic music, but I can't find one.

Anyway, here's my answer.

organist - 40-60k (depending on age/experience)
    choir director - 50 - 80k (depending on age/experience)
    singer - $75 per hour (liturgy), $50 per hour (rehearsal) (singers and instrumentalists are paid way too little)
    paid singers - section leaders are plenty - but they should be able to hold section rehearsals
    annual budget - 150-200k or more!
    music librarian can be rotated by volunteers in the choir
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Jeffrey, are you a drinker? (Sorry. Kidding.)

This is such a hot-button topic. Let me weigh in on it in a different way.

First of all, the AGO has done some really excellent work in this area. They have guidelines that have been really carefully thought out, taking into account hours, level of expertise and/or degree earned. Obviously the biggest problem in the Catholic church, but true of every denomination, is that musicians are often compensated no better (or, dare I say, even WORSE) than the person who cleans the restrooms and sweeps the floors. (Francis talked about banal music, and I tried to open up this can of worms with my thread on what people look for in a job description. The discussion really didn't go too far, but I think it's because we've all been there too often, and the wounds go too deep.)

Overall, I think as an obvious starting point, Francis' numbers are well within the AGO guidelines (with the exception of the annual budget, which is too low . . . ha ha).

One idea I've developed, and picked up from a colleague in the Episcopal church, is how to sell the paid section leader concept to a parish where music isn't taken seriously. Here was his tweaking of the "sell": create four to eight "scholarships" (read, paid section leaders) for young singers (college-aged) who are pursuing degrees in music, specifically church music if possible. In this way, the parish isn't simply paying mercenaries to take up the slack created by lack of volunteers, rather the parish is guaranteeing that good church music has a future and is helping to fund education. The harder part is stroking the volunteers so that they don't feel like second-class singers. The paid singers (scholarship recipients) can be screened for proper attitude, and it opens more of the repertoire up to the volunteers when they have stronger voices helping them along. Everyone wins, if it's handled properly. Also, by structuring it as a scholarship, you can perhaps avoid diocesan employment guidelines which can become crippling when dealing with paid, part-time musicians. (I should add that I've not personally tried to sell this concept to my employer, but don't think it hasn't crossed my mind!)
  • G
    I think as a start, a full time music director should receive compensation equal to the income of the average working member of the community.

So, it could fairly be quite grand or quite meager.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Lawrence
    "I think as a start, a full time music director should receive compensation equal to the income of the average working member of the community."

At least. Bigger jobs should come with higher salaries. Also, the salary should mostly be based on the size of the position, not the size of the parish.

Another thing to consider is this: Parishes should pay for availability. Here's what I mean. I once had a "part time" job that had many funerals which I was required to play for extra compensation. While one could argue (unconvincingly, nevertheless) that I could get my core work done on a "part time" schedule, I still had to be available for these funerals. This ruled out other jobs, as our funerals were frequent. Nevertheless, my job was called "part time." Hardly.

I suppose I could have started refusing funerals. But how long would it have taken before the parish got tired of dealing with subs for every funeral?

In addition to funerals, there were other miscellaneous requirements for my presence on weekdays, etc.

I think the Church has a long way to go before it readjusts from the days when nuns and monks (and God bless 'em) provided the music for us.
  • GavinGavin
    I say all should be consolidated as possible to provide for consistency. I've read too much complaining about organists who can't play chant or having to work with unskilled directors to think it's a good idea to have split positions. As for pay, the AGO scale is a must. I abide by it (or have an adequate understanding that the parish absolutely CANNOT pay me the required salary) or I don't take the job. I disagree with Michael on availability. Playing for weddings and funerals is part of the job. If you don't like it, get another profession. We, like doctors (apt, eh?) are paid to be "on call". I've had to cancel many a fun weekend due to a saturday funeral, but it's business as usual. I should add that at my job I'm guaranteed a certain amount per year in weddings and funerals. If I do not make this amount, the parish makes up the difference. I think this is a great idea that more parishes should adopt, since this can be a substantial amount of our salaries.
  • My understanding is that St. Agnes, the parish built by Msgr. Schuler, has an annual music budget of $250,000, and this supports that marvelous volunteer choir, director, and union scale wages for orchestras. I find that rather amazing really.

why am I bringing this up? Because it strikes me that pastors and Bishops need to develop realistic expectations concerning musical expenditures. It should be thought of like the electrical bill or the budget for CCD books. I don't believe that this is the case now.
  • By the way, thank you Francis for providing numbers. They strike me as more or less right. Of course, wages are not really a matter of justice unless coercion is involved; this really is a matter of supply and demand. And here, the circumstances of time and place vary enormously. The directors of our schola at my parish are completely unpaid. I'm not complaining but I also recognize that this is not a viable model in a regular parish. The problem is getting pastors to understand that free music forever is not going to sustain a high quality sacred music program over the long term.
  • francis
    JT:

Sure.

In reality, when I am negotiating, I always shoot for the moon, and then hope to make it to the clouds. This is a simple way to stretch the thinking of the church at large when it comes to getting what God deserves.
  • Lawrence
    Gavin, at the risk of giving unwarranted attention to your snide remark, what doctors do you know that are barely making middle-class income?
  • francis
    oh yea! Weddings!

$150 for the rehearsal (and consulting for guiding them to choose the appropriate music)
    $150 for the liturgy

(tips are accepted for undue stress, pain and suffering)
  • $250k? Wow, that is amazing. Most parishes I have worked for really do music on the cheap. They are abetted by workshop people who brainwash cantors into believing that they should not take money and that it is a ministry. That thinking undermines all professionalism in church music. At a previous parish, the choir members were required to purchase their own Choral Praise copies and the DM relied heavily on photocopies of octavos -- needless to say I am not there anymore.

I think a decent guideline for DM's who don't also have to play organ -- btw I disagree. I've never liked being a chorister and having to follow an organist who is playing. Untrained singers have a much harder time with this than I do -- is to look at what the local HS choral director makes. I think the job is roughly equivalent in time and effort as well as training.
  • A couple of years ago, AGO released a report on a salary survey they had done. I was shocked to see their assertion that the Roman Catholic churches pay the highest salaries. I think this horribly skewed because I have this feeling that the only RC organists who responded to the survey were working full-time in parishes that paid well.
  • Pes
    How about scholas for hire? What's fair compensation there?
  • GavinGavin
    Michael L, I'd argue that an organist should not have another part-time job. I work in a church with around 150 attendance at all 3 Masses combined, a choir of 3, 5 cantors, and minimal involvement with the parish school. I would never think of my work as anything less than half-time, and it often is full-time. Where anyone else would find the time (not to mention the energy) to take on another job on top of that I don't know. And that's at a tiny church. To work at a 1000 family parish with 5 Masses and a few choirs... that's not something where I'd try to bring in a little extra on the side.

I write all the propers we use. Typically over half of our music is hymnody, so I devote a LOT of time and energy into making sure the hymns I select are as close to the ideal of singing the Mass as I can get them. That and dealing with children's Masses, musical advocacy, cantor training, and running the choir. Oh and I have to deal with complaints about everything I do. I don't have enough of a work ethic to deliver pizzas or flip burgers or run an accounting firm or whatever it is that people think I ought to do with my spare time. I use it to relax so that I can get through the next day. I have a high enough view of my job to call it a vocation. It consumes my life and defines who I am. So yes, I'm a little peeved that others should think of music ministry as something so low that it should make us our $75 for playing one day and then be done with it. It's probably just because I'm young or because I've had exceptional mentors, but I don't intend to live out my calling in such a minimal way that I have time for a whole other job. Perhaps priest would be a good metaphor - what priest would ever say "why should I waste time with extreme unction when I could get a second job?"

All that AND I'm returning to college to finish my BMus next year. If we don't take our jobs seriously, how can we expect others to (and pay us appropriately)?
  • Lawrence
    Gavin,

I don't think you're understanding me. What I'm saying is that parishes should either pay the musician a fee that truly lives up to what is expected of him, or they should give him sufficient freedom to support himself via additional means.
    Jeffrey,

It seems to me that none of the professional (non-volunteer) positions at St. Agnes, apart from the hired orchestra, are full-time. They all have other "regular" 9-5 jobs that take cover their benefits, etc.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong on that count, but to me the real issue is, to echo some of the sentiments voiced above: if I'm to be "on call" for funerals, then I should reasonably expect that my compensation will permit me to only work one job. Don't call me "full-time," pay me substandard wages (that I'm unable to live beyond hand-to-mouth), and expect me to give up regularly-scheduled days off to play for funerals. I think it's perfectly sinful for a church to hire someone as "part-time" but insist that part of their responsibilities is to be "on call" for funerals. "Let's talk about social justice, Father." I think too that it could pose serious employment law implications, depending on how the person in the position is being paid if they're considered part-time for bookkeeping purposes, and yet expect them to be "on call".
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Pes wrote
    How about scholas for hire? What's fair compensation there?

Just one quartet's experience: we often get $400 to sing a service (including prelude) in a Protestant church. Usually choir directors want us to sing selections from our repertory (Renaissance, Baroque, and classical) and also to join the church's choir for a couple of anthems.

Catholic churches? Typically they expect to pay nothing when we join their choirs for Vesper services and ordinations or provide music for a diocesan Mass.

I have mixed feelings about singing for free . . . but we do it because we want to take our repertory into Catholic parishes so the faithful can hear music from the church's own tradition.
  • john m
    This is a very difficult judgment in a liturgical community. It is cut and dried where it is a matter of a flat fee per appearance, but the Roman Rite liturgy cannot be contained in such neat boxes as the Protestants have with one Sunday service, one Wednesday evening service, and three weekly rehearsals. We have Holy Days of obligation, daily Masses, First Fridays, school Masses, Stations of the Cross, Vespers, etc. etc. Oh, and the funeral choir wants to rehearse. And the bishop is coming next Wednesday for Confirmation. And did I mention that the Altar Society has a special Mass for their deceased members on Monday evening, my usual day off...?

When the hours required prevent the musician from holding employment elsewhere, the parish is morally obligated to compensate the musician for the time that is demanded at a level commensurate with his/her education and experience, including the "down time" that is tied up at strange hours and cannot be used for gainful pursuits.

That said, the liturgical musician, like the pastor, does not punch a time clock. As in any professional position, one is expected to be at hand when needed, within reason.
    John M,

I don't punch a time clock, and am full-time and salaried. I'm also expected to put in odd hours that "accordion" according to the program year. That's not news to anyone who works for the Church. Church music is a very jealous spouse, and I'm lucky to have the precious odd hours off. I'm expected to function within the paradigm of being available at odd hours, and yet I'm held to the same standard as other staff in terms of vacation days, personal days, sick days, etc. Fortunately I'm single and have no social life to speak of, so I can be available at odd hours. I'm not saying that to complain or gain sympathy, I'm just stating the matter of things for me.

The REAL issue comes down to a complete misunderstanding on the part of the Church, either at the parish or diocesan level, which is this: we church musicians aren't being paid for "face time" or "clock on the wall" time. We don't fit the paradigm of either the 9-5 Monday through Friday desk job, or even the 40 hour per week job. We're being paid for what we are able to produce, apart from the actual "bench time" we spend as organists, or the time we spend rehearsing and directing ensembles. Some weeks we're at the church for as little as 25 - 30 hours a week (especially during the summer or "off-program" times) or 55 - 60 hours a week (Advent/Christmas, Lent/Easter). In my situation, there's precious little incentive to be there all the time, because there's little support for the work I do. Often the programs I'm trying to develop are challenged, undermined or sabotaged because it doesn't fall in line with the limited scope and vision of the typical suburban parish. It becomes as much a morale issue as a financial or HR issue. Why should I work to "earn" my salary when the work I do is not unlike trying to build a sand castle at high tide . . . get the tower built and here comes the surf to pull it down.

I've spent, between money from my parents and my own, countless thousands of dollars and at least 15 years of my early adult life acquiring degrees and building my professional skills, only to have the likes of David Haas and the NPM repeatedly pour scorn on the "professional class" musicians in favor of marginally trained "pastoral musicians". So many times the American Church has bought into the idea that it's more important that people who serve in music positions mean well as amateurs than work hard to bring professional quality and standards to the music used in the liturgy. I'd love nothing more than to pull down $60,000 (plus benefits) but it's simply never going to be a reality. All that a fair number of priests and HR types see is when you're on the bench, in front of the choir or behind your desk, and that's all they think they're paying for. They simply have no clue what kind of creative effort goes into the work we do, and even less of a clue how much work we did to get where we are, or how much energy the whole effort takes both on and behind the scenes.

Don't get me wrong. For the most part I've been fairly generously treated by my employers as far as financial arrangements are concerned, but the reality is I'll never, ever be able to replace the money I spent to get my degrees, and am facing the practical reality that I will have to work pretty much until I die, because no matter how frugally I live, my salary is now, and always will be, hand-to-mouth. Neither the AGO, nor any other professional organization, is going to be able to correct the problem until the work we do is taken seriously.
  • Dave
    A very sobering summing up, David Andrew. Well done. I'm in the same boat you're in. God help us all!
  • And here is where getting a priest to the CMAA Colloquium can and will make all the difference. Here they witness first hand what goes into making music, that it is not as easy as pushing a button on an iPod, that it requires long rehearsals, vast preparation, and requires rare skill. The priests who have attended go back home and rearrange their priorities.

I know that only a tiny minority will ever be inspired to attend but if there is a way to get them there, it can make all the difference. In this respect, the Colloquium is a better and more fruitful experience than a priest-training workshop.
  • Maybe the CMAA could produce a booklet for priests, helping them to understand what a Church musician does, and provides some basis for calculating remuneration? Something along the lines of the very helpful FAQ on Sacred Music? I think that this could be really helpful, since there are very few priests out there with sufficient musical education to know what they should be looking for in an Organist/Director of Music, or that understand the work that goes along with these roles.
  • G
    A pastor once offered me what I though was an enormously generous hourly rate.
    After a bit of conversation, I realized that he thought directing the choir took 2 1/2 hours a week -- an hour rehearsal and preparation, and an hour and a half for Mass.
    After I stopped laughing, I said -- your sermon only takes about 5 minutes -- so does it take you five minutes to write it?
    You could almost see the light bulb go off over his head.

Lawrence, I wasn't suggesting that the amount of compensation be related to the size of the parish, but to the average parishioner's life. A full time MD, whether at a wealthy suburban enclave or at a dirt poor urban parish should be able to afford a life-style more or less comparable to that of the other members of the community.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Palestrina said:

"Maybe the CMAA could produce a booklet for priests, helping them to understand what a Church musician does, and provides some basis for calculating remuneration? Something along the lines of the very helpful FAQ on Sacred Music? I think that this could be really helpful, since there are very few priests out there with sufficient musical education to know what they should be looking for in an Organist/Director of Music, or that understand the work that goes along with these roles."

I agree! Something to help us articulate better the underlying justification for the reform we all hope for would be great! Providing it in written form for priests will not only help us make our case, but also give them the information they need to combat the possible complaints from folks who will resist any changes they allow in their parishes. In addition, knowing how to seek out trained musicians with the skills needed to move in that direction would be a great benefit to priests. Tell them what to look for in terms of education, mindset, experience -- how to interview in such a way as to really determine the suitability of a particular individual for their parish.
  • francis
    My thinking too!

We have so many resources with the CMAA and those in the know. I have worked in the marketing/communications/publishing industry for many years and can provide production to any type of publication, CD, DVD that we would want to distribute. I know the workshops are a great way to get the music into parishes, but education for the priests is key. We had a priest friend of our over last night for dinner. My wife asked him about the EF but time to study is an issue. Training in the seminaries is critical. There needs to be a 'path', a well thought out series of resources that drive to the same end; a sort of matrix that tackles this issue from the different persona that approach the subject. Priest, Deacon, DOM, CD, organist, cantor, chorister, congregant, etc. It means educating each from their own perspective and have a meeting of the minds for each of them. It's a tall order, but I am not aware of anything quite like that.
  • IanWIanW
    If you're thinking of putting together an information pack, or guidelines, you may want to look at Paying church musicians: recommendations from the RSCM.

This addresses the issue from the UK perspective. Bear in mind that some cultural and economic differences apply. The RSCM is Anglican (Episcopalean) in origin, and still largely, though not exclusively, so in membership. Full time Organist/DM positions here are scarce; they are mostly limited to non-catholic catherdrals and collegiate institutions, with a small number of exceptions (e.g. Westminster and Liverpool). The problem is partly one of funding: I wouldn't say we're tight-fisted, but we don't give to our churches like Americans seem to, and the tax-laws don't encourage charitable giving as much as they do in the States. In consequence, a competent organist or DM is likely to have other work, as a freelance, in an educational institution or in another field entirely. All that is reflected in the document, e.g. in the section on remuneration being a matter of what a church can afford, and the emphasis on recommended rates as a starting point for negotiation.

That said, there are issues in common, and you may find the document useful.
  • paul
    Oh, there's money there, you just have to be a priority. A neighboring parish with a thriving life teen program (2 masses) pays the band $75 per player x 4, sometimes x 5. That's minimum $600 a WEEK just for the band.

Paul
  • IanWIanW
    Paul,

There may or may not be money in UK parishes, but if there is, it tends not to be spent on music of any kind in the quantities suggested here. The exceptions are mostly churches with extra funding and/or educational connections, e.g. Westminster Cathedral and The Brompton (London) Oratory. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it means we don't pay bands £300 gbp a week to support a 'teen life program' (whatever that is). It does mean, however, that most competent DMs and organists have other jobs, just as St. Paul kept his hand in as a tent-maker. I can't say that's how things should be done in the States, because you have different circumstances. It does sound, however, as if it might be a realistic avenue in many cases.
  • Ah.. the LifeTeen movement. Ian, it is a phenomenon here where mostly adults play in very loud rock bands at Mass for young people. There is almost no congregational singing as we understand it, but it is very popular. Frankly I don't see how the "active participation" crowd has allowed it to flourish. Maybe they feel its the only way to get teenagers and young college students to come to Mass. It is most certainly a living definition of the colloquialism "flash in the pan."
  • francis
    Jesus called. He wants his religion back.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Not to sound cynical, although it most certainly is: they are probably hoping that God will help us so they don't have to.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    Well, why not start with the AGO/NPM guidelines? Don't need to re-invent the wheel.
    As for other costs, that would be up to how ambitious the parish wants to be.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm not sure why this thread was revived after 5 years in cold storage, but, in re the above-
    Ah.. the LifeTeen movement. Ian, it is a phenomenon here where mostly adults play in very loud rock bands at Mass for young people. There is almost no congregational singing as we understand it, but it is very popular. Frankly I don't see how the "active participation" crowd has allowed it to flourish. Maybe they feel its the only way to get teenagers and young college students to come to Mass.

This recent article is VERY relevant.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • With all the NPM-bashing here, it's good to remember that NPM also has salary guidelines that are based on the AGO guidelines - pretty generous. NPM also has a helpful worksheet that would be good for pastors to go through. It breaks down many different variables such as education, number of ensembles, office-work hours, rehearsal prep hours, personal practice time - in excruciating detail, and then totals up those points for an indication of the total demands of the job. It's another way of approaching the salary scale.

To reply to the original question, I think the AGO/NPM guidelines are a great place to start. Also because, with those two organizations using the same scale, it's easier for the pastor to see that there's a national consensus by major organizations. It wouldn't hurt for CMAA to post a CMAA scale based on AGO as well.

As far as the contant on-call nature of the job, and working holidays, it never hurts to have a frank conversation with the pastor. I've found pastors, whatever their musical preferences, very open to 'fudging' contract vacation days, to make up for the extra demands. Especially if you're smart and ask for extra time off in the 'down-times'. Strike while the guilt is present! When you're overworked at Christmas or Holy Week, and they see you there constantly, ask for some extra time off in the summer when it won't disrupt anything.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz