Priest Leaves Parish
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    @JeffreyQuick, that is exactly the point of lex orandi, lex credendi.
  • Note the age of the "Church in Exile" folks in the pictures in that linked NCR article. While stories like this will likely continue for the next couple of decades, there is definitely a 'biological solution' which will eventually correct many of these problems.
  • Liam
    That seems to be the hope of some, but there are enough yet-churched Catholic Millennials who in harmony with them that the so-called and much-promised biological solution is no sure thing.
    @Liam, that's because they don't know any better. Their grandparents and parents have taught them that way.
  • @Liam That's true, but what percentage of those Millenials actually remain active in their parishes once they move out of their parents' home? It's bittersweet in that it's unfortunate that they fall away and take no interest in the Church, but also positive in that they don't stick around to poison the liturgy any further.
  • Liam
    CK & CR

You're free to hope. Just don't expect.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    As the culture in these USA gets more and more hostile to the Church, I just can't believe that these liberal, Millennial CINOs are going to actually continue showing up at Mass or to choir rehearsals.

I am indeed hopeful that the "biological solution" will fix a lot of things in the Church's liturgical praxis. However, I also believe that the carnage of parish closings, buildings sold off, empty chanceries, etc. will be far worse than most are expecting.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Is there hope?
    There is a very interesting article, sensitively and positively written, about the new generation of priests in the current issue of Time magazine. I commend it to all. A similar article was in the New York Times several days ago. It seems that the pastoral bent of HF Francis is bearing its fruit, but also a more reverent approach to liturgy is typical. Perhaps an amalgam of Benedict and Francis can be expected.

At Walsingham last Sunday we were visited by a young seminarian from Louisiana who said he 'had to come to the Ordinariate cathedral'. He was in awe at what he witnessed at high mass. He is not the first and won't be the last. We have frequent visits by seminarians from Houston's own nearby St Mary's Seminary. They sit in choir at mass, wear birettas, and have very positive feelings about Ordinariate liturgy.

I do get the impression, though, that whilst a more conservative liturgical regimen is in the air, along with it is a more, shall one say, 'Franciscan' pastoral sensitivity - which I happen to believe is a more Christlichen sensitivity. It does seem to me that a more serious apprehension of both faith and practice, life and litourgia is imminent.

Too, our Ordinariate priests at times celebrate the Novus ordo when they are called to visit elsewhere. The people consistently are struck by how different and more holy the NO seems when celebrated by them. 'How did you do it' and similar expressions of amazement are directed at our priests by people who have been consciously or unconsciously starving for a deep sense of the sacred in their worship. Indeed, I have often told people that the NO in the hands of Anglicans would be a totally different thing - and it is! (The rector of our cathedral is, by the way, a member of Cardinal di Nardo's liturgical advisory board.)
  • MatthewRoth
    Fr. Hough is a good egg.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • PaxTecum
    All of this Millenial bashing is quite interesting to me as I, myself, fall into that label. I also know quite a few Millenials in this area who are organists, music directors, liturgists, etc. that are faithful and very in tune with what the church really wants us to do (and needs us to do.) Granted, lots of people my age are un-aware of this or don't care. So are lots of people in all of the generations before us.

I have found that people in my age group that are close to God and truly understand what it means to be catholic are more likely to frequent liturgies that are traditionally (and properly) celebrated rather than at churches that are known for "other" practices.
  • Liam
    "I just can't believe that these liberal, Millennial CINOs are going to actually continue showing up at Mass or to choir rehearsals."

As I said, you are free to hope. Just don't expect.
  • a_f_hawkins
    the NO in the hands of Anglicans would be a totally different thing
    Yes I have often thought that, based on fairly limited ecumenical experience. Too often Catholic priests are just being themselves not presiders over the liturgy. Anglican clergy even know how to move, when to 'proceed' and when to glide unobtrusively, AND someone has explained the techniques to any laity with liturgical roles. [edited]
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • True, Mr Hawkins, but there is more yet of fundamental substance than that. Underlying it all is a profound sense of the immanence of God, the initimate-yet-totally-other Numinous. This is revealed not only in bodily gesture but tone of voice and delivery, a sense of the All Holy literarily expressed. Of course, this is all helped along mightily by the inimitable hieratic language of the Ordinariate Use. Speaking in a normal register cannot capture the sacredness inherent in the language, nor normal bodily movements convey the otherness of ritual acts. This is something of which the great majority of Roman priests (and hierarchs!) are oblivious utterly. I might add that celebrating ad populum, while not by any means the root of the problem (verily, it is but another symptom of it), only makes it worse, for here one has an unavoidable impression that the mass is little more than a dialogue betwixt priest 'presider' and people.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
    I have found that people in my age group that are close to God and truly understand what it means to be catholic are more likely to frequent liturgies that are traditionally (and properly) celebrated rather than at churches that are known for "other" practices.

Yes, we vote with our feet in that respect. I'm on the cusp of the millenial label, just on the border between that and the generation before, although I don't identify with millenials.

A big part of the problem is the priests who won't let us realize the vision of true Sacred Music for whatever reason, and simply will not permit traditional practices. We are bound by them because by and large, they are our bosses at the parish level, so we can't affect any changes: it just depends on who the priest is and what his temperament is towards tradition and Sacred Music.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • ....who won't let us realize the vision...

It's not just you whom these tyrants stifle. It's to be expected of the several generations who consciously stifled (with immense contempt and insouciance) the real vision of Vatican II. They are in power (indeed, with their power they often exceed their authority!) and will, as they have always done, substitute their own illicit vision for that of the council. Fear not, though! Bide your time and keep the faith. Your day will come when their allotted time in this life has reached its end.

I've always thought it a great injustice and evidence of moral rot that we are expected to be obedient to priests and hierarchs no matter what they ask or impose, licitly or not, but they are not expected to be obedient to the Church which bestowed upon them authority only to do its express will and carry out its vision. Not only that, for many musicians who even attempt to obey the Church instead of them, the consequences are dire. There is something horribly sick and unholy, morally repugnant, in this arrangement. What it teaches is the fallacious equation of power to authority, a false understanding of genuine authority, and a callous disregard of fair play in regard to it. In such a system of Thrasymachan ethics all, including the powerful, are, ultimately, losers.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It amazes me that we, yet and still, have a plethora of seers outweighing our sages herein.
  • taking the church back to pre-Vatican ll days rather than minister to the people

Don't we call this a false dichotomy, or projection or something? Clearly no people were ministered to before the Council????
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • a_f_hawkins
    I don't think the 'Appalachian statement' is condemning pre-VII pastoral work. The complaint is about some current clergy who, they say, are concentrating on liturgical practice and neglecting to visit the dying.
    @CGZ, yes that is a false dichotomy, as it essentially makes one choose between either 1. having pre-V2 liturgy OR 2. ministering to the people. It is also begging the question, because it assumes that ministering to the people, however they define it, is more important than the Mass.
  • CharlesW
    Some "priest" work can be depressing over time. Doing beautiful liturgy has to be more pleasant than witnessing disease and death. I could see how that could wear a priest down. Seems to me both liturgy and ministry are important, but some priests seem to do a better job of balancing the two. Then there is the other extreme which most of us have seen, where the priest is not much more than a social worker.
  • A_F_Hawkins,

Imagine someone saying that one could either love God or love one's neighbor, but not both.

Imagine someone saying that one could either teach what the Church teaches or be pastoral, but not both.

What about if someone said "you can either provide for your family or feed your children". Here we have a species closer to what is at stake in the statement.
  • a_f_hawkins
    CGZ that is precisely the complaint, not just saying it but doing it :
    Again, many of the younger priests, particularly those fresh out of seminary, have an arrogant, self-righteous and condescending attitude. These “restorationists” seem to be more intent on taking the church back to pre-Vatican II days rather than minister to the people.
    And for evidence they claim
    There are flagrant examples of some of the clergy failing to care for their people and failing to see the suffering imposed on them, not only in the liturgy, but in the wider sacramental life of the church and in outreach to the community. A lack of responsibility is evident, even with regard to pastoral care of the dying. In one parish in our region, this happened at least four times in less than two years and two parishioners died without the sacraments.
    But of course, I do not know whether these particular claims are justified, and there is much else in the statement I would reject.
  • Most of today's priests have not had the experience of having an organist who is responsible for all the music in the church, assisted by a choir director possibly for one Mass on the weekend.

Instead "Music" for them is dealing with cantors, people playing various instruments at different Masses, people playing piano and an overall mix of a few trained people and ranks of amateurs with various degrees of ability and inability.

Assailed with continued input from unhappy musicians - some warranted, much not (I won't cantor the 5:00 if so and so is playing), conflict over which group plays for which Mass and Confirmation and many other special feast, the thought of "Music" is not one that is based upon good feelings.

Parishioners and musicians feed the flames of dissent as they work to get their way, with the trained musicians - often paid - being in their sights with their removal the goal.

Let's go back to the 1800's and follow the progress of a church buying an organ and read the sermon for an example of how priests thought about music in the church then.

Las Vegas Organ
  • A_F_Hawkins,

Feeding your children is a part of providing for your family.
    Providing for your children includes feeding your children.

I have a priest friend who likes to observe that saving children from abortion is only part of the problem: we should be trying to save their souls. One can not (reasonably) separate care for the liturgy from pastoral care of the parish.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CharlesW
    I have a priest friend who likes to observe that saving children from abortion is only part of the problem: we should be trying to save their souls. One can not (reasonably) separate care for the liturgy from pastoral care of the parish.

Was just discussing something similar with a priest last week. The work put into pro-life has paid off with many of the younger folks now against abortion. However, while we were so focused on life issues, we may have lost the culture wars - gender identity, sexual orientation, sex before marriage, etc, and etc. on and on.
  • CharlesW
    Assailed with continued input from unhappy musicians - some warranted, much not ...

A former associate pastor asked how come the musicians at my parish don't fight like cats and dogs as was the case in his former parish. I told him I won't put up with it. Makes a world of difference. Hell hath no fury like a school teacher/librarian/organist. The wise would not mess with any of the three.
  • Charles,

I think you missed the point. (To be sure, I might be misreading you.) The Church exists to save souls. Saving children from the abortionist is part of the equation, but not by any means all of it. Now, we need to press forward. Even showing how all the "issues" you raise are connected isn't completely the goal. We need, also, to teach the whole of the faith, and (thereby) to teach people to know, love and serve God.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CharlesW
    We need, also, to teach the whole of the faith, and (thereby) to teach people to know, love and serve God.

True, and if you teach the whole of the faith, the connectivity between all those other issues is perfectly clear and reasonable. My point is that something is seriously missing in the teaching.
  • teachermom24
    My 4 children all fall into the "Millennial" category (though I really do question how helpful these categories are). They are all devoted to the TLM though do not despise the NO Mass. We have raised them to find the Truth of our Holy Catholic Faith and not to be deluded or dissuaded by the prevailing culture (where, perhaps, most Millennials fall). I believe the hope for the Church lies in children like ours. As Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI said, the Church is going to be much, much smaller. So we are seeing this diminution of the Church on earth now.
  • Sorry to intervene but this story is much more complicated than the article professes. The media has failed to tell all of the story.

I held my tongue when this vague accusation appeared but have seen it appear now on Facebook.

When a priest follows the GIRM and church documents, he is not and cannot be at fault. In this group, especially in this group, we are all painfully aware of this through our own experiences, especially those in this list who have found themselves moving from parish to parish.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    taking the church back to pre-Vatican ll days rather than minister to the people

Don't we call this a false dichotomy, or projection or something? Clearly no people were ministered to before the Council????

Yeah, don't tell the Anglo-Catholics that . . .
    Anybody familiar with "Inter Oecumenici?"
  • eft94530eft94530
    Anybody familiar with "Inter Oecumenici?"

It is the First Instruction on the correct implementation of Sacrosanctum Concilium.
    Muscam Sacram is a continuation of it
    (if I were in charge I would have called MS the Second Instruction).
    Sadly IO is not on the Vatican website.
    Fortuately MS is on the Vatican website.

Why do you ask?
    I was making the point that IO indicates that certain practices which we see, and which are a departure from traditional practices, are outlined and mandated by the document.