Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter News -
  • This may not merit a thread all its own, but I didn't know what else to do about sharing that....

I learned just this evening that, as of the 21st April, the Church of Our Lady of the Atonement, and Atonement Academy, will have been transferred to the Ordinariate. We welcome them and share the glad news with all. This should be a blessing both to Atonement and to the Ordinariate. Singing a Te Deum is appropriate.
  • I certainly count this as good news.
    Very appropriately, April 21 is the feast of St Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury (d 1109). Although this year Easter Friday will take precedence on April 21.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • stulte
    Yes, congratulation to the parish, the school, and the Ordinariate! This is happy news.
  • I received some explanation this morning via the Walsingham grape vine - it seems that this is being done at the behest of the Holy See, which has required of all Anglican Use and Pastoral Provision parishes that they join the Ordinariate. This will be a good thing for us, though one really scratches one's head at why they (the parishes) haven't done this before. My impression has always been that Atonement preferred to be its own sort of self as a diocesan Anglican Use parish.

The Ordinariate currently has 40-45 parishes. I don't know how many will be joining us as a result of Rome's initiative. Atonement is certainly the only parish as developed and comfortable as Walsingham.

(More details may be found at the Ordinariate's website.)

Other news of interest -
    We are in the final months of building a new educational building, Elizabeth Ann Seton Hall, which will have more classrooms for the Holy House, our home-schooled children's program, AND a large choir hall with raised spaces for up to 100 singers and a Steinway grand, plus rooms for music archives and offices. We are very serious about music at Walsingham and our choirmaster, Edmund Murray and his wife Chalon, are quite gifted at building choirs of all ages. At present we have the normal Cathedral Choir, the Treble Choir, Chorus Angelorum (our in residence semi-professional evensong choir), and an after school music program for youth. There will be more.

(Donations to Elizabeth Ann Seton Hall may be made via Walsingham's website.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • rollingrj
    I happen to know the organist/choir director there and have been following this story from its inception. It is the resolution the parish and Ordinariate have been seeking. Deo gratias.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Blaise
    Some more ordinariate news (to keep it brief, I focus on the things related to musicians as such, though as Catholics interested in the life of the Church, I invite you to read the whole bulletin):

Summer choir opportunities 2019 (no weeknight commitment):

Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church, San Antonio, TX (my old parish)

11 am Mass Adults and high school students going into grades 10 and above are welcome to join the choir at the 10:20 am warm-up. Having served here before, I know that the choral music traditionally includes the ordinary of the Mass (either Latin or Anglican), Anglican anthems and Latin motets for offertory and communion, as well as minor propers - this may or may not be accurate as of the present. Consult the director of music for more information regarding this as well as opportunities for children.

Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church (June 30, 2019 bulletin)

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham - Catholic Church & Shrine, Houston, TX
    (marvelous place with a shrine and courtyard; I have been wanting to attend this for at least a decade now)

11:15 am Mass Adults and high school students are welcome to join the choir during July and August. Call time is 10:30 am. Full choir typically sings one piece, whereas the staff singers sing the other. Congregational ordinary with choir singing parts as appropriate - we are currently using the one by John Merbecke & the Old Scottish Chant Gloria. Anglican style gradual sung in parts with congregation. Propers sung by choir, and hymns are typically sung SATB (unless noted in the hymnal) with congregation. Hymnal 1940. Contact the director or assistant director of music for more information. Having been there last week, I will say that things will feel a little cramped in the choir loft, but the acoustics are marvelous. As I mentioned above, I have been wanting to attend this church for a decade or more now; so far I have been most pleased here since first arriving for a workshop in June 2017 and then coming back - permanently - to attend university in Houston in August of last year.

Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham - Catholic Church and Shrine

• Joseph Michael
  • Blaise
    Not Our Lady of the Atonement, Our Lady of Walsingham. I squeezed two different announcements into the same post - one after the other.

Our Lady of the Atonement, San Antonio, TX for one.

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston, TX for the other.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    The Church of the Atonement is not nor has been our nor anyone's cathedral. For some years it opted not to be a part of the Ordinariate, but preferred, strangely, to remain a diocesan church of Anglican Use in the Diocese of San Antonio. That changed several years ago when HF Francis decreed that all Anglican Use or Pastoral Provision parishes would be transferred to the Ordinariate. It is now a parish of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter, of which the Church of Our Lady of Walsingham is the cathedral.
    Thanked by 1Joseph Michael
  • Caleferink
    I seem to remember that the Archbishop of San Antonio was quite upset (to be charitable) about losing the parish. Besides the Holy Father's decree, wasn't OLA's transfer to the Ordinariate spurred by the sudden exile of its founding pastor?
  • Ken of Sarum
    Caleferink - YES! and YES!
  • Maureen
    IIRC, I believe Atonement initially felt an obligation to stay with the diocese, because they owed San Antonio for helping them cross the Tiber, and things had always been good, and because they were asked to stay.

But then bishops changed and Atonement was doing really good with attendance and schools, and there was a lot of jealousy and meddling on the diocesan side. No doubt there were non-angelic things that happened on either side. But then the bishop ordered the pastor to go away, and apparently more meddling was to occur, along with the diocese getting some cash or buildings or something. There were noises about taking away the Anglican Use and prohibiting Latin and so on. (I was very annoyed personally because the really good Bible study podcast on the Atonement parish webpage disappeared when the pastor had to leave.)

So things got messy, the parishioners appealed for help, and the Vatican shoved them all over into the Ordinariate.

Why is it that so many people cannot leave a working parish alone? There are plenty of trouble parishes that need help and can't get it, but a parish that is supporting itself tidily has a big fat target painted on it.

Anyway, now Atonement is in the Ordinariate and has even calved itself, so it's a happy ending! But the Pope's decision was a bit hard on any other pastoral parishes that wanted to stick with their initial dioceses. (If there were any.) OTOH, the bishop of San Antonio really should never have asked Atonement to stay in the first place. An informal partnership or alliance could have probably done as much good as staying, without setting up the parish for problems later.
    Thanked by 1bdh
  • Anyone in the know about what recently happened at St. Bede's, where a priest was excommunicated by Bishop Lopes? It's hard to understand the news when the only extant source is Church Militant.
  • chonakchonak
    Maureen, there's only one remaining Pastoral Provision community, the Congregation of St. Athanasius in Boston.

As it happens, the area also has an Ordinariate parish, St. Gregory the Great. When its founding pastor retired last year or so, the respective bishops decided that it is best to combine the two groups, so they are now worshipping together.

As for the future, the Archdiocese has indicated that the two groups can continue until the priest in charge of St. Athanasius retires, and then the Archdiocese will suppress the Pastoral Provision congregation as a canonical entity. At that point it will be up to the Ordinariate to provide a priest for its ongoing parish.
  • pfreese
    “Anyone in the know about what recently happened at St. Bede's, where a priest was excommunicated by Bishop Lopes?”

I actually happen to live in the territorial Roman Rite parish that hosted them. The long story short is that their former pastor made some disparaging remarks about the Holy Father during a homily on CTK Sunday last year (and posted it on the internet, doh...). Bishop Lopes caught wind and suspended him, and gave him 60 days to publicly recant his homily or face excommunication, which considering he hasn’t returned I assume he chose the latter.

I’ve sat through several of his homilies before and I’m honestly not too surprised he crossed a line, he’d be right at home with the FSSP guys across the river. I know he also belonged to several different denominations before joining the Ordinariate (he grew up in the Plymouth Brethren), so his problems with authority should be viewed in that light.

Msgr. Jeff Steenson briefly became administrator of the parish (he’s lived up here for quite a while and taught in our seminary before being appointed the first Ordinary, VERY nice gentleman). He was only there until May and the parish has been suspended ever since.

Honestly, this whole controversy didn’t make much news in the broader Roman Rite up here. I was only tipped off when I went to one of their masses this past Spring and their old pastor wasn’t there, and I didn’t get the whole story until my parochial vicar told me a few months later. The whole thing was very hush hush but I’m sad to see St. Bede’s close (hopefully for now); they were a nice community and their masses were obviously wonderful. I know the Ordinariate community continues to meet, albeit without sacraments, and they’re trying to restart the parish, though that’ll be heavily dependent on their ability to get a new pastor (which is likely a big if). In the meantime they’ll have plenty of good options to choose from, there are several fairly traditional OF parishes in the west suburbs of Minneapolis (including their former host) as well as two SP EF parishes in the inner cities. Definitely keep them in your prayers during what is hopefully a transition.
  • chonakchonak
    They're posting news from time to time in the Liber Facierum: https://www.facebook.com/minnesotaordinariate
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • JacobFlaherty
    I’ve sat through several of his homilies before and I’m honestly not too surprised he crossed a line, he’d be right at home with the FSSP guys across the river.
    Pfreese, for the life of me I'm not too certain what is meant by this quotation. I work for the "FSSP guys across the river" (in Minneapolis) and I can't guess if you think we cross the line often or what. This is not at all my experience here...
  • francisfrancis
    I will not tell you what I think (believe) about the ordinariate.
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    ...will not tell...
    Ha! Perhaps Francis thinks so highly of the Ordinariate that he is at a loss for words to express his admiration. Or else he dislikes the Ordinariate so much that he is at a loss for words to express his disdain. Or, perhaps he is utterly ambivalent and is at a loss for words...

Well, I'll say what I think about it. It is, minus the Old Church English and a few other Anglicanisms, what Catholic worship in the Anglophone world should and would closely have resembled IF what Vatican II actually said actually had been heeded. This is not said out of any Anglican chauvinism, but out of common sense and a sense for natural evolution rather than the revolutionary reign of terror that we got (and still have). It seems so obvious - but for the Prayer Book English our worship is everything that the council actually called for - and is absent all the baggage that it didn't call for.
  • tandrews
    Thanks for the update on St. Bede's, pfreese. I was hoping to attend one of their Masses but I'm glad I saved myself the 90 minute drive!