Link to CNS story: "fighting over the liturgy."
  • chonakchonak
    On the other hand, it's fair to say that professionalism includes meeting the expectations that you've agreed upon with your superior.

I know musicians whose pastors are willing to accept a No from the musician, and conversely I know musicians who are willing to accept a "do this" from the pastor.

Accepting bad decisions from a superior is not necessarily a sign of a lack of integrity: it can be a matter of "choosing your battles". It can be based on a rational calculation: is this parish getting better music with me than it would without me? Is my work here a good influence?
  • is this parish getting better music with me than it would without me?

In many cases, this would be unanswerable because in many parishes, the priest won't let the musician, especially if that musician is offering true Sacred Music, actually realize their vision. In that case, it wouldn't be possible to really know if the parish was getting better music than they would without you, because they wouldn't really have the music that you could offer them due to administrative restrictions.

Is my work here a good influence?

For me, at least, I think that my work in any parish is a positive influence, and I am always trying to raise the bar. However, when you're being stifled and silenced by the priest, it's difficult to have any influence at all. I hypothesize that when priests, or any other administrator, stifle and silence someone in their employ, they are attempting to limit or reduce the employee's influence, and increase his own.
  • Reval
    All this is tempered by the fact that, often, the music director will outlast the priest. So, I think that music directors will "suck it up", knowing that the priest may be gone in a few years. Also, any other MD position that may be more favorable to sacred music, could be trashed with a new unsympathetic priest at any time.
  • francis
    It is all very day to day never knowing what's coming around the corner next. You really can't predict anything, nor look to settle in and build a good program. I worked for five years and had built an excellent program, and a wreckovator was brought in and disassembled the entire effort in one fell swoop. As long as you don't set up any long term expectations and just live for today, that's as good as it's going to get.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • CharlesW
    It takes one week to destroy a good music program. It happened at a local parish when a new pastor arrived. Eighteen years of program building went down the drain.

However, I will reflect the eastern belief that Tradition is a gift of the Holy Spirit. At the same time, there are practices from Medieval and Renaissance times that are small "t" traditions, not on the level of the big "T" traditions. The differences between the two are often confused.
  • Charles -
    Are you absolutely sure that you are not somewhat overstating your case? I should think that nearly all Traditions would be shared by both east and west, as would be consistent with their nature. The only exceptions of which I have knowledge would be the matter of filioque and Assumption. There may be others, but I don't know what they might be.
    As for traditions, yes, these may and do vary considerably. The first and most obvious examples would be the rites themselves and their attendant ritual practices. Culturally, things like Easter-eggs versus Christmas trees come readily to mind. Of course, the West long ago imported the Easter egg, but I don't know that Christmas trees adorn too many Orthodox homes. I'm sure that some further illumination on this subject by you would be appreciated.
  • Liam
    "Are you absolutely sure that you are not somewhat overstating your case? I should think that nearly all Traditions would be shared by both east and west, as would be consistent with their nature. The only exceptions of which I have knowledge would be the matter of filioque and Assumption. There may be others, but I don't know what they might be. "

No, there's more to the differences in tradition between East and West than that. For starters, the understanding of original sin, scholastic theology and its progeny, individualism, ecclesiology, et cet. It's typical of Westerners to try to minimize the list, but that tends to confirm a sense in the East that Westerners don't get it.
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't say, as an easterner, that westerners don't get it. They get enough to write, expound, define, calculate, dissect, parse, and classify excessively, which often creates confusion beyond the simple faith required for belief. When I refer to big "T" traditions, I am including Eucharistic theology, the natures of Christ, doctrines on the Trinity, and such issues. These were mostly settled by the early councils before the east/west split. Music, altar decorations, vestments, and the like are what I would call small "t" traditions.
  • Liam and Charles -
    Be more specific about the categories you name.
  • Liam
    Not worth the time here for casual commentary. I take Charles point but would still say the confusing over-analysis of things is within the "don't get it" rubric, so I will stand by it because Charles illustrates one general aspect of the impression.

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Too bad!
    It is a far more worthy topic than some things that words are wasted on here.
  • Liam
    MJO

Maybe there's a simpler approach, more like a watercolor sketch than an oil: Imagine Western Christianity without any of the developments of the Second Millennium. (It's way more than just the Filioque and Assumption.) That's not 100% congruent with the issues (the Photian controversy antedates this, obviously), but as a crude exercise, it would be a provocative way of re-imagining things.
  • CharlesW
    I think there is a political element, as well. There was an emperor in Constantinople until the 16th century. The patriarchs were not allowed to develop the political power the western pope did in the vacuum of feudal Europe. Not saying they didn't have influence - they did. But competing with the emperor would have been dangerous.
  • Liam
    And to compete with the sultan, well, that was just a form of suicide....

Western popes in the 8th century had better luck competing with the eastern emperors (as compared to the 6th and 7th centuries). By then, the eastern empire was fighting for its survival. But the eastern empire was able to create problems for the Pope of Rome well into the 11th century, until the Normans kicked the Byzantines out of the western Mediterranean world forever.

The whole concept of a neat and tidy division of political from theological/ecclesiological is a Western concept - the ideal of a symphonia retains power in the Eastern perspective. Consequently, when Westerners regret the Fourth Crusade mostly in political-material terms, we neglect that those are not the only dimensions in which Easterners remember them.
  • CharlesW
    I have wondered at times, if Justinian had been successful in reuniting the empire, events could have been different. But for that plague that stopped it, a united empire might have been strong enough to contain Islam. We will never know, of course.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Liam
    Justinian's wars were a sign of his vulnerability, not strength. He gambled that he could build upon the defeat of the Vandal kingdom, because his position was so vulnerable.

Justinian's most enduring achievement was his engaging of Tribonian to supervise the re-codification of the already much-codified Roman law. Combined with Theodoric the Goth's (a much too-underestimated person in the course of Western history) salvaging of the notion of a supra-ethnic empire in the West as a point of reference for use by future dynasts like the Carolingians and Saxons and Salians, the combination proved potent once the Germans decided they needed to use the office of a cleansed papacy to provide greater stability to their realms.

As for the East, Persia was going to be just as big a problem regardess of the West - it's not like the West was going to provide much in the way of materiel or personnel to fight the Persians, even if it had all been reunited. The climate* and fading of urban life had changed too much to make that a realistic.

We don't get to choose our parents, our place of birth, and the time we are born in. That's no less true for the likes of Justinian as it is for us.

* The change in climate really doomed the idea of the Mediterranean as a unifiable mare nostrum. That idea was able to take reality before desertification pushed at the formerly highly productive limits of the southern littoral of that sea, but it wasn't sustainable once that all played out. And then the calamitous changes of the sixth century sealed the deal for a couple of centuries. Sure, Islam was able to race across North Africa to Iberia within a century, but it's not like that was a terribly powerful unified area until the Fatimids came along generations later. Even the Ottomans were not able to fully unify that area - it has remained relatively chaotic ever since, even under European colonial rule. And we are still living with the grave consequences of the fall of the Ottomans (and Savafids and Mughals - the three "gunpowder empires") starting in the 18th century into the 20th.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • CharlesW
    The change in climate really doomed the idea of the Mediterranean as a unifiable mare nostrum.

Plagues, Roman Warm Period, Little Ice Age, crazy. And we think climate change only happens today, or so one would believe from listening to news and political propaganda. Truly, nothing new under the sun.
  • Well, Mr Phillips, this example of your work is quite good indeed. It is considerably above what might have been expected from the tenor of your remarks so far relating to tradition and sacred musical historiography. In fact, I had wondered just what the music at your church was really like. Is this typical? For all we know your 'boss' expects Tallis and Poulenc, Gibbons and Stravinsky et al. from you every Sunday and you preside over a fine organ - though I suspect that this is not the case. Perhaps if you shared more commentary about the musical regimen at your church and less advertisement of your not altogether unique 'professionalism' fewer feathers would have been ruffled. Is your entire musical program on a par with the example you have shared here?

(One might venture to note that some considerable attention to diction and intonation would improve the example you have shared.)
  • Liam
    CharlesW

Well, that's way overarguing that point. Even less epistemic humility than that of which you complain.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @Rphillips -- that's a recording of Matthew Curtis singing that piece, yes?
  • I have never fought for the singing of propers in OF masses because I do not think this is a fight I can win, so I plan hymns that are as traditional as possible, and which evoke the propers of the day as close as possible with their text.

I have made the case for the Proper of the Mass, and of course I was outright refused by my priest (this is in the OF, from when I was a DM). His initial ban was on Latin, so I offered to have the Proper sung in English, for which I have many, many resources, but he still refused, stating "I don't want chant." Of course, I obliged, respecting his decision. I also tried as you suggest here, to choose more traditional hymnody that reflected the Proper for the Sunday, but he also objected to that, stating that people couldn't sing the hymns I was choosing. Specifically, I would try to choose a hymn that fit the Proper from the stable that the congregation already knew, and if that wasn't possible, then I would just put something in that they could sing, since that is what the priest said was his primary concern: that people were singing. That's the main problem with that approach: sometimes, there just isn't a hymn that fits.

Though I have written much in this thread on professionalism, I would just like to conclude for now with the thought that we cannot turn this word or this approach into a bad word, or a sullied approach. On the contrary, it is a necessary approach in order to advance the very tradition we hold dear. It does not yield immediate results, but I do believe, in the long run, it will yield long-term results.

How would your approach yield long-term benefits? What would be the mechanism by which the current musical situation would change in the long term as a result of your approach?

But I think that this mindset corrodes the efforts we make to have good conversations with priests and others who have a different set of ideas regarding music and music traditions.

The problem is that many of us live in a liturgical world where the priest doesn't want to have the conversation with us at all. In those situations, it is much more difficult to even get the ball rolling towards progress, and that's probably an intentional roadblock set by those with another agenda, or as I've often said, those whose priorities are in a different place. In my above example, from my experience as a DM, the priest probably wouldn't have cared at all about what sort of music we had for Mass, but it wasn't a priority for him, and he probably had people complaining (although he denied it when I asked if people had complained) due to my stylistic change; the priest had told me that they were "fairly traditional" in regards to music, but that was ambiguous and we had very different definitions of "traditional." "Fairly traditional" meant "we don't have a praise band," and "we don't do P&W." What it didn't include was "we sing good, solid, orthodox hymns," nor "we include Gregorian chant as an integral part of our liturgy." I also think he meant, "we sing crowd favorite hymns from the 70s and 80s," as opposed to the more modern Christian rock and praise band types of music. Of course, the priest has the right to decide whether or not he wants to discuss the issue, but that sort of closed-mindedness creates environments where all we can do is accept it or shake the dust from our sandals and move on. I've also often said that just because someone has the right to decide doesn't mean that they've made the right decision, i.e. that authority doesn't translate into objective correctness. I believe my exact words at the time were, "just because you HAVE the right doesn't mean that you ARE right."

All of that is, of course, anecdotal, but it is part of my experience and illustrates a bit of where I'm coming from on some of these issues, and some of the things I've learned from doing the job.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Elmar
  • Mr Phillips - where have our paths crossed?
    Your accomplishments are laudable, as is your what-seems-to-be good taste. We could do without your continual boasting of your 'professionalism'. You are far from unique in this, as most others employ a mature good sense in the struggles we all face in a climate that is not always welcoming of the Church's very own paradigm. I think that you have more of substance to offer than parading your professionalism around as though no one else behaved sensibly in the performance of his and her roles.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    Liam, the eastern doors are always open. We would welcome you with open arms. :-)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Rphillips: I plan hymns that are as traditional as possible, and which evoke the propers of the day as close as possible with their text

Is this something that could be shared?
    Or a CMAA spreadsheet be created
    into which all members could populate with
    the proper texts and their hymn title and hymn rationale?
  • Fascinating, Mr Phillips =
    I'm striving in vain to place you.
    When was it that you attended our chant course at UST?
    Are you located in the Houston Area?
  • What coincidences!
    Where are you in Virginia? In or near colonial Williamsburg? I have been to the restored colonial section a number of times. It is one of my very favourite places. I have a hymnal from Bruton parish, which I found at Half-price Books in The Village, near Rice University, in Houston.

What is the liturgy like at your parish?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Caveat emptor.
    I am spurred to comment again in this thread only because I recognize the canyon of difference between expectations and realpolitik as characterized by Mr. Phillip's assessment of his own situo (If ye love me...currently out of reach.)
    Forty years ago, my church choir sang (well, as in all the following cases) Stravinksi (Pater noster/Ave Maria) and the like. Thirty-five years ago, another of mine sang Distler (By His stripes) and WAM's " Regina Coeli" in the same weekend of liturgies. Thirty years ago, various choirs under my tutelage sang Vivaldi major pieces, Rutter, Faure, Durufle, "Messiah" (repeatedly, arggh) et cetera. Twenty-five years ago my current choir sang WAM Requiem, Bach Magnificat, Haydns', Monteverdi's, Vivaldi Gloria and a host of other serious works large and small. All the while of the previous, polyphony to modern classical (Allen/me/Giffen et alia) have been regularly programmed and sung successfully by any standard.
    Now that I approach retirement, I must confess that singing Arcadelt, the aforementioned Tallis, or GPdP's Sicut is a fall-back strategy. My very graying choristers can barely manage to read my friend Heath Morber's English Motets for the Church Year in three parts.
    If my experience is relevant, a parish director desiring artistry must first acknowledge that artistic achievement above repertoire prestige is paramount, as I suspect Mr. Phillips represents. Secondly, we live in acutely complicated times, when gifted youth in urban environments flock to circumstances such as Christ our Light with Rudy de Vos, but whose cohorts in suburban and rural environs have no such inclination. When the adults we've cultivated over decades and generations to contribute beyond their comfort levels many evenings of rehearsal for thirty minutes of performance, suddenly realize that Bible Study, RE or other small community activities fulfil their capacity to serve in less intensive and intrusive ways. And....(the stake through the heart) the generation of "I want it served to me privately in my own way and space, even tho' it's communal (like the high school musical), so's it doesn't disturb my notions of propriety; aka "bad manners."
    It is going to get tougher (how I wish I could voice another perspective.) There will be resurgence in pockets, like Lincoln (and my dearest Jessica Ligon) and MACW in SDiego. But they will be jewels in a Benedict Option landscape. By all means flock to them wherever you be. But it isn't about repertoire, it isn't about rite or language (Oh, it's okay if we have Missa Lectas in Latin), and it isn't about Sacropop or CCM. It's about the very nature of church and worship, if that is, pardon me, even important to modern seekers. If it's all about "affect" rather than substance, we're already lost.
  • CharlesW
    If it's all about "affect" rather than substance, we're already lost.

Yep, you got it!