Montreal: Marcel Peres workshop on music of the Compostela pilgrimage
  • chonakchonak
    Marcel Peres, musicologist, interpreter and founder of Ensemble Organum, is presenting a workshop on the music of the Codex Calixtinius in November in Montreal. Here's information, including a link to a video endorsement by our own David Hughes:

The songs of St-James

November 23-25

Why, since the ninth century, the apostle St James has been the object of great faith and fervour in the Western Christian world? Even today people, more numerous each year and with a wide diversity of motivations, arrive from all over Europe to walk the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St James, leading to Santiago de Compostela in northwest Spain. Yet the vocal music that once served as a support in the cult of St James is still little known, even to those involved with the pilgrimage, and it is therefore rarely performed today. Despite an otherwise extremely flourishing interest in the saint, the musical aspect of his cult is now relatively neglected. This workshop is to explore this music, as it was transmit to us by the Codex Calixtinius. The music of the Codex Calixtinus is a compilation of various works originating in important places along the pilgrimage route. It presents a striking picture of the musical styles that were then in use in those parts. The polyphonic pieces in the Codex Calixtinus are very close in style to the Aquitaine and Paris organum repertories, known to us mainly though thirteenth-century sources.

The teacher:
    For the last 40 years, Marcel Pérès has explored the musical memory of ritual singing in the Christian west. In 1982 he created the Organum ensemble, then in 1984 the CERIMM (European research centre on music of the Middle Ages, in 2001 CIRMA (travelling centre for research on early music) now located in Moissac abbey in France.

For subscribing, all you have to do is write a short e-mail with your name and the reason you want to participate at marcelperesauquebec@gmail.com

When? From the 23th to the 25th of november, each day from 5:30 to 9:30 pm
    Where? : UQAM, ( http://www.uqam.ca/) room 3560, also called ''spring room''

How much?: Adults: 150 CAD , Students 50 CAD

For a short glimpse on the classes content, see our publicity on youtube ''Marcel Pérès au Québec''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQSjvI6HWk8&list=PLLbqpvwaHXq3jH6lC2Ghz18inB0yUmykM

And for more information you can contact Guillaume Lirette Gélinas, again at marcelperesauquebec@gmail.com or by phone 01-819-640-8864
  • Marvelous! I am sad that I cannot attend.
    Peres' thought and research merit far more attention
    and respect from the Catholic chant community than they get.
    He should be a featured lecturer at all CMAA colloquia.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • chonakchonak
    I received word on Monday that Dr. Pérès is going to present his course on the pilgrimage songs of St. James again in Montreal in May. The class description is the same as above.

The songs of St-James

When? May 6 from 10am to 6 pm and May 7 from 10am to 4pm
    Where? : Espace Culturel Centre-Nord La Cenne, 7755, boulevard Saint-Laurent
    suite 300, Montréal, Quebec, Canada
    How much?: Adults: 200 CAD , Students 100 CAD

For a short glimpse on the classes content, see our publicity on youtube ''Marcel Pérès au Québec''

• I still can't go.
    Maybe if I moved heaven and earth I could.
    I'll repeat what I said above last autumn -
    He should be a featured lecturer at CMAA coloquia.
    If fact at least one of the coloquium masses should feature chant enlightened his current scholarship.
    What a needed eye opener that would be!