Patronal Feasts and ExtraOrdinary Celebrations - Walsingham, and.......?
  • As several threads have served to herald this event, here is what happened at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham this week-end. I'm putting it here knowing that some will be interested, Such festivities on the feast of title are not rare in Anglican tradition. I also would like to see other such patronal feasts from other parishes or cathedrals - or, if not patronal feasts, extraordinary celebrations of one thing and another.

The Most Rev. Stephen Lopes - Bishop, the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter
    The Very Rev. Charles Hough IV - Rector, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham
    Edmund Murray - Choirmaster and Organist, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham

Saturday, 24 September, 6.00pm
    Parish banquet
    in the great hall of the chancery adjacent to the cathedral.

Sunday, 25 September, 11.15am

Solemn Pontifical Mass -

(During the mass we had the institution of about 40 acolytes from all over the Ordinariate: the US and Canada. They were all vested in choir habit and birettas.)

Organ Voluntary - on Ave maris stella - - - Improvisation
    At the Entrance: Hymn - 'Sing We of the Blessed Mother' - - - Rustington
    Introit - Rorate caeli, ennerant - - - Mode I (Palmer-Burgess)

Kyrie - Missa Sancte Maria Magdelene - - - Healey Willan
    Gloria - Missa Sancte Maria Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

Psalm - Magnificat - - - Chant, William Jacobs
    Alleluya and Verse - Et ingressus angelus - - - Mode VI (AUG)

Anthems at the Institution of Acolytes -
    'If Ye Love Me' - - - Thos. Tallis
    'Teach Me, O Lord, the Way of Thy Statutes' - - - Thos. Attwood
    Ubi Caritas - - - Maurice Durufle

The Nicene Creed - - - - Recto tono, with organ embellishments

At the Offertory -
    The Antiphon: Ave Maria gratia plena - - - Mode VIII (Palmer-Burgess)
    Anthem: Salve sola Dei genitrix - - - Wllm. Byrd

Sanctus-Benedictus - Missa Sancte Maria Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

Agnus Dei - Missa Sancte Maria Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

At the Communion -
    The Antiphon: Ecce virgo - - - Mode I (Palmer-Burgess)
    Anthem: Ave verum corpus - - - Gabriele Faure
    Hymn: 'Maiden, yet a mother' - - - Cranham

(The Dismissal was followed immediately by a procession to the outdoor Shrine [which is a 1/2 scale replica of the sole standing arch at the original shrine in England, and incorporates flint stones from there].)

At the Procession to the Shrine -
    Litany of Our Lady of Walsingham

(Then was made a procession to the site for the new Educational and Music Building, behind the Shrine and adjacent to the Chancery)

At the Procession to Groundbreaking for the New Educational and Music Building -
    Psalm LXXXIV - Quam dilecta tabernacula tua Domine! - - - Tone III

The Angelus - - - - Anonymous chant

Sunday, 25 September, 4.00pm
    Solemn Second Evensong

Organ Voluntary - Adagio in E - - - Frank Bridge

Introit - 'Mother of God, Here I Stand Now Praying' - - - Sir John Kenneth Tavener

The Preces - - - - Kenneth Leighton

Office Hymn - 'Ave Maria, O Maiden, O Mother' - - - Sister M

Psalm CXI - Confitebor tibi - - - Chant, Percy Buck
    Psalm CXXVII - Nisi Domine - - - Chant, Thos. Attwood

Magnificat - St. Paul's Service - - - Herbert Howells
    Nunc Dimittis - St. Paul's Service - - - Herbert Howells

The Prayers and The Suffrages - - - Kenneth Leighton

The Anthem - Vidi speciosam - - - T.L. da Victoria

Marian Antiphon - Salve Regina - - - Cesar Carillo

At the Dismissal - Hymn: 'O Glorious Maid, Exalted Far' - - - Ivyhatch

Organ Voluntary - Fugue in D-Major, BWV 532 - - - J.S. Bach

Reception in the Parish Hall -
    (At one point during the reception our Canadian friends offered a toast to HM the Queen and sang her anthem - some of us joined in.... heartily.)

• Aaron
    We celebrated the rededication of the Catholic National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in Williamsburg, VA with Bishop DiLorenzo.
  • Send details, Aaron. I've been to Williamsburg numerous times. It is one of my favourite places. In fact, a part of me could have been happy living there in the colonial section. I understand that there is a new, rather modern, OLW church on the outskirts of the city. I have visited the original one in the city centre, near William and Mary College and the colonial section. What a charming Georgian church it was. What has become of it? Tell us more about your rededication - and, the music in general at the shrine.
  • Aaron
    The old Saint Bede church has now been formally renamed the National Shrine of OLW, a title it technically had since the 1940s. It is used for Masses most by the Catholic Campus Ministry at William and Mary but also weddings and funerals for Saint Bede. The college CCM provides music for the Masses there with the parish providing music for weddings and funerals. The parish runs Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament in this building weekdays from 7am-midnight. The parish built a new Saint Bede church in 2003 a couple of miles from the historic district. The new church seats almost 1600 and has a 54 rank Buzard pipe organ.