Kyrie chant for priest wary of "high church" sounding pieces?
  • chonakchonak
    With a schola, one can ask the singers to accent the word properly, but unless one is prepared to *conduct* the congregation in singing that English "Holy", one can't expect them to back off the second and third syllables.
  • ...one can't expect...

This one can expect.
    Respectfully, Chonak, your point is granted - but, I would not be averse to giving the congregation a brief tutorial and illustration of 'right' versus 'wrong' before mass or at some catechetical situation. Indeed, I (as opposed to some others) would think them worthy, deserving, and appreciative of it. I, for one, find the typical Catholic estimation of 'the people', 'the congregation', 'the laity', etc., appalling - an unbelievably gratuitous denigrance.

Too, about that kyrie under discussion, it isn't disrespectful simply to notice that when one changes syllabification and notes one has created a new chant, one which isn't the English version of such and such a chant, but a different one altogether. This does not prejudice the beauty and value of the new chant, but simply notes that it isn't that other chant.

One encounters this problem in a number of musical adaptations, whether it be Englished Bach cantatas, Englished Brahms requiems, Englished Schutz passions, not to mention opera, lieder... and even motets and chant. Preserving the original melody and rhythm are givens in fitting the revered music to some other than the original tongue. The mark of true genius and consummate musicianship is the success with which this procedure has been respected... and the aplomb with which it has been performed.